• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,036 posts in this topic

Unless I am way off base I expect this to be reserve not met. I mean... 28k and still not met? From my view in the cheap seats, I don't think its worth that

Guesses on a realistic FMV? I would have thought 15k? Given most monster splashes when they come up going for 5-10k (but this one being better than most).

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch%2Easp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dstrange%2Btales%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26ItemType%3DCA%23Item_936709&id=936709

Unless I am way off base I expect this to be reserve not met. I mean... 28k and still not met? From my view in the cheap seats, I don't think its worth that

Guesses on a realistic FMV? I would have thought 15k? Given most monster splashes when they come up going for 5-10k (but this one being better than most).

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch%2Easp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dstrange%2Btales%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26ItemType%3DCA%23Item_936709&id=936709

I'm right there with you. I think that $28,000 is a wonderful price and the seller is lucky to have gotten it (and will kick him/herself when reserve isn't met and they lose out on the coin). This isn't a page that is going to have as broad an appeal as an early Marvel hero page, and while I thought it would do well I would not have predicted anywhere near this.

Many moons ago, I once beheld the splash page to Amazing Adventures #6 at a convention. I couldn't bid, as the auction was slated for the next day and I wasn't staying, but the high end of the estimate was $600, IIRC.

That's a great page, but I wouldn't go 30K on it.

I'm right there with you. I think that $28,000 is a wonderful price and the seller is lucky to have gotten it (and will kick him/herself when reserve isn't met and they lose out on the coin). This isn't a page that is going to have as broad an appeal as an early Marvel hero page, and while I thought it would do well I would not have predicted anywhere near this.

Yeah I agree Art! To be honest I wonder how legit the bids are. Maybe they are maybe they aren't but the last nice prehero story on clink ended at exactly one bid under what appeared to be reserved (one bid under $25k). I personally treat a $28k reserve not bid met the same as I treat a $1 reserve not met bid.

I could personally care less as I don't even consider it shilling when its all reserve not met. Just trying to get a guage if everybody else thought the reserve was too high as well. :)

Wow what a weird auction tonight.

I don't know about all of you but I got smacked down HARD on the good stuff.

TOS11 9.4 for $7600! :o Holy poop!!

TTA12 9.2 for $3100!

TOS30 9.2 for $3600!

Good googly moogly. Somebody out there is not playing when it comes to the good stuff.

And on the other end some very nice books went cheap. I got the VF TOS 30 for just $235!! Freaking steal.

It was an 8.0 kinda day for me:

RAD8B4F52012813_105715.jpg

RAD42E0F2012814_91444.jpg

RADDA7342012813_105830.jpg

I know what you mean Bronty... the higher grade stuff was soooo hot I could not get near them :ohnoez:

But I was surprised to get this nice upgrade for myself for only $165 :banana:

RADED5AE2012814_121410.jpg

Nice copy! And a great price! Upgrade? I still need this issue. Want to sell your undercopy? (thumbs u

I couldn't agree more. I stayed away from a ton of books and didn't even throw lowball bids because I thought they would just get blown out, and then books sold for well below what I would have lowballed. I did pick up the TTA #32 for $100 below my max bid that I considered a lowball, and got barely outbid on a couple of others.

Terrible auction for sellers if you weren't selling 9.2-9.4 pre-heroes, but great for the buyers. If I'd had my crystal ball working and knew that this many deals would be had I would have taken out a home equity line and gone crazy.

You guys think this is auction fatigue, temporary oversupply on sub-9.0 books, or have we crested a peak in the market?

Just to, to many nice books were offered all at one time. There were 3 copies of some issues and several issues of different titles with two copies available.

Some great buys in the 7.5-8.0 books. I was able to snag a few.

TTA #3 (9.0) and #18 (8.5), TOS # 29 (8.5) and #30 (9.0).

Bronty mentioned some of the high sales. Included were Str. Tales # 8 (9.2) $3400,

# 12 (9.4) $4500 and # 14 (9.0) $2300.

High grade ST's are going through the roof!

I couldn't agree more. I stayed away from a ton of books and didn't even throw lowball bids because I thought they would just get blown out, and then books sold for well below what I would have lowballed. I did pick up the TTA #32 for $100 below my max bid that I considered a lowball, and got barely outbid on a couple of others.

Terrible auction for sellers if you weren't selling 9.2-9.4 pre-heroes, but great for the buyers. If I'd had my crystal ball working and knew that this many deals would be had I would have taken out a home equity line and gone crazy.

You guys think this is auction fatigue, temporary oversupply on sub-9.0 books, or have we crested a peak in the market?

Too many auctions, too frequently, thats it in a wrap up.

Auction Houses must be wetting themselves with excitement from all the commission.

Its an out of control merry go round, and no-one seems to know how to jump off. :preach:

I dont know much about pre-hero prices and havent really followed the auctions the last year or so. I've always wanted to start snagging some but was too busy with my Avengers run. Now that i'm almost done with it, i can start getting a few pre-heros here and there.

Like mysterio said, i wasnt even going to bother bidding on these last night since i figured my what i thought were lowball bids would get blown away but i won all 3 for at least in my mind REALLY low prices (shrug)

tos13.jpg

tos28.jpg

tos37.jpg

I dont know much about pre-hero prices and havent really followed the auctions the last year or so. I've always wanted to start snagging some but was too busy with my Avengers run. Now that i'm almost done with it, i can start getting a few pre-heros here and there.

Like mysterio said, i wasnt even going to bother bidding on these last night since i figured my what i thought were lowball bids would get blown away but i won all 3 for at least in my mind REALLY low prices (shrug)

tos13.jpg

tos28.jpg

tos37.jpg

You got all of these at excellent prices. The #13 was one book that I thought about lowballing and didn't, and then you got it for below what I would have lowballed. The #28 sold for under $100 more than I just paid for an 8.0 an auction or two ago, and I thought that my book went on the low side. The #37 was also a great pickup and at a price that the seller is not happy with.

Agreed that there were too many copies of some of these books in the same auction, and I'm not sure why Clink would do that to themselves or the sellers. They have a focused auction coming up in like 2-3 weeks, so why not shift some of these 7.5-8.0 books to that venue in the hopes of reestablishing bidding competition for them? Auction 101 ought to have taught them that having a stairstep of multiple copies with declining grades will absolutely hammer the lower graded examples, even if they are super nice (I will NEVER kick a 7.5 pre-hero out of bed).

Here is my lone win, but I am really happy with it. Your mileage may vary, but for me #32 is one of the toughest TTA books. I just have never seen very many copies of it, and I would have expected this copy to sell for nearly double what I ended up paying ($200 shipped, FWIW). In another auction I bet it could (as could many of these books). I'm super pleased!

RADA9C142012815_11146.jpg

Yeah, i was a little surprised at the selection of pre heroes. Like i said, i dont follow them close since im usually about tapped after the A's go off from buying Avengers. lately though, there have been times i havent bought a single Avengers so i can focus on some other wants.

When i was looking at the pre hero TOS and TTA i was pretty surprised to see MULTIPLE pretty HG copies of some issues and wondered if that was normal. I dont remember seeing that very often before but again i dont follow them real close. It definitely didnt seem like a good idea to me. if i was selling a 8.0-8.5 TOS 27 or whatever, i'd be pretty annoyed that Clink also decided to have a 9.2-9.4 copy in the same freaking auction (shrug)

Yeah, i was a little surprised at the selection of pre heroes. Like i said, i dont follow them close since im usually about tapped after the A's go off from buying Avengers. lately though, there have been times i havent bought a single Avengers so i can focus on some other wants.

When i was looking at the pre hero TOS and TTA i was pretty surprised to see MULTIPLE pretty HG copies of some issues and wondered if that was normal. I dont remember seeing that very often before but again i dont follow them real close. It definitely didnt seem like a good idea to me. if i was selling a 8.0-8.5 TOS 27 or whatever, i'd be pretty annoyed that Clink also decided to have a 9.2-9.4 copy in the same freaking auction (shrug)

It seems like their reputation for getting nosebleed prices on SA is starting to slip (obviously NOT on nosebleed pre-hero though), and making what seems to be amateurish mistakes like making multiple copies of the same book available in the same auction will not help. Many/most of their pre-hero got crushed, I would bet some all-time GPA lows (don't have GPA so I couldn't tell you), and their sales approach definitely helped lead to this situation. Some of it could be auction fatigue, sure, but that doesn't explain all of the poor performance, IMHO. I am going to think twice about sending them any more books if this is going to be their approach to selling them (they've only sold 4 for me, and I was pleased with 3 of the sales).

Auction fatigue could definitely be a good part of it.

Again, i havent followed them very close but it seemed to me like there were a LOT of pre heros last night no? Its not normal to have THAT many in an auction is it?

I've always thought the covers were cool and tried to maybe grab 1 or 2 here and there but they always have gone too high for me. Last night, i was pretty shocked how low a bunch were sitting and since there were practically no Avengers on my radar was able to finally grab a few lower than what i thought they should have gone for.

Yeah, there were a lot. They have come out of the woodwork, or are getting CPRed and put back on the market, and prices have dipped of late. We may see supply retreat for a bit while prices stabilize.

I also think that putting 7.5-8.0 books in one of their gala "Featured" auctions was an odd choice, especially behind uber HG copies of the same books in some cases. Put those as the cream of the "Focused" next month.