• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,224 posts in this topic

anybody got a nice copy of the sister book to share? (not my copy). The monster poses are exactly the same.... wonder what the story behind that one is.

Just the standard gooey, oozing creature flexing and showing off its "mudtoids".

How's this one

photo STRANGETALES82CGC_zpsd3915e3f.jpg

I like this copy,too

photo STRANGETALES82_zps764a003e.jpg

why did he copy the pose, that's not like Kirby to do. It's almost exactly the same right down to the way the hands are posed.

Very curious. We might let the OA guys see this. Some of those people are scary smart about stuff like this. And have very sharp eyes.

Well I don't think its a stat if that's what you are getting at.

- the strangle tales monster has an extra finger on the left hand

- the facial profile on the monsters is slightly different. The one on the strange tales has a more pronounced chin

- the left arm on the strange tales is more horizontal, on the TTA its more vertical

- on the TTA the monster has a hump behind his back and then another hump as his shoulder. The Strange Tales only has the shoulder hump - no back hump.

Bottom line... as close as it is it is not the same art. It would appear that Jack redrew it from looking at the TTA, but its unusual in that I really can't think of another example of Jack swiping from himself (especially within 6 months of original publication)

It would appear that Jack redrew it from looking at the TTA, but its unusual in that I really can't think of another example of Jack swiping from himself (especially within 6 months of original publication)

...and that's what I found curious. It's obviously not the same, but is Monstrom pure Kirby? The rest of the cover surely is, and it makes zero sense for Kirby to draw the setting and not the monster. But looking at the right arm, the right hand, and back of the neck, I could almost believe that Stan gave Ayers (?) the Astonish art and asked for some re-working.

There's something going on tho. Good eye, Bronty!

You know, you're right, the Strange Tales monster looks more purely kirby than the TTA (monstrom). Maybe you're right, I could see Monstrom having been reworked by Ayers.

Good eye, yourself! (worship)

Thanks, and BTW, sorry about this.

We might let the OA guys see this. Some of those people are scary smart about stuff like this. And have very sharp eyes.

I did not mean to imply that you aren't an "OA guy". You most certainly are!

And here's his new neighbor: :cloud9:

TTA11_zps26b8d003.jpg

Incredibly difficult issue in HG!! How sweet it is :applause:

Thanks guys, thrilled to have it!! :cloud9:

Interesting catch on that cover swipe. The real answer is that because of some things he did in college, that monster had a tough time getting work. Also, an old football injury prevented him from being able to fully lift that right arm, thus limiting his range of poses. Kirby with his big heart took pity on him an used him to model for the 2 covers. The King's heart was as big as his talent!!! (worship):applause:^^:devil: