• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,038 posts in this topic

A recently scanned book from my collection. I hear that ol'GROOT has become quite popular these days!

TTA_13a_zpsc4ed7d78.jpeg

Grootastic copy as usual! :headbang:

..... a bit OT, but I was at my friend Rich's LCS, where he displays his collection of EVERY bust staue produced thus far, and he just got in GROOT..... and man is it superb. He's wearing a space jockey suit, but it stood out like MAD....... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It's been a good week for books. Just got my coupon submission back, which included this guy. I was hoping for a tick higher, but some tanning on the inside and back covers probably knocked it down a bit. Still a very sweet book.

ST34CGC.jpg

I've got 3-4 more pre-heros that I've owned for many years that are currently in encapsulation. I'm dying to find out the grades and hope they ship today.

Great book, tough to find for sure congrats.

Not one of my favorite covers...but up for grabs in the August CLINK Auction is the highest graded JIM 52 at 9.2 :o ...next closest grade is two 8.5s...only 8 total graded copies...a very tough book in grade indeed! :cloud9:

JIM5292_zps802ca9bb.jpg

Has Stan ever been interviewed about the pre hero monster comics in particular?

I've seen passing reference in the context of the way the hero books came to be, but I mean a more in depth interview about specific monster books and stories themselves, where the prehero is the subject and other things are the context?

Has he ever been questioned about "prototypes" and whether he, say, remembered TOS 16 (although I'd say it speaks for itself that he did) when he came up with the idea for #39, etc?

Would make for good reading....

I happened to see him speaking about the preheros in one of those history of Marvel shows. He seemed to be a lttlle disdainful about the period, thinking the names of the creatures were all pretty redundant and over the top. Shocking, I know.

He seemed to have a little more self esteem about the Amazing Adult Fantasy stuff he did with Ditko, signing both their names to it. He seemed proud about those books.

I happened to see him speaking about the preheros in one of those history of Marvel shows. He seemed to be a lttlle disdainful about the period, thinking the names of the creatures were all pretty redundant and over the top. Shocking, I know.

He seemed to have a little more self esteem about the Amazing Adult Fantasy stuff he did with Ditko, signing both their names to it. He seemed proud about those books.

It was the magazine that respects your intelligence, after all.

I love them , thank you so much Gary! (Thumbs u Holy cow that tta27 will be worth a fortune! :o. I'm sure we will all watch that comicconnect auction closely. Gary is that all of them, or will there be future consignments to future auctions?

This is it, Dan.

What's the most popular pre-hero key these days (excluding TTA #27)?

1) Strange Tales #89 (Fin Fang Foom)

2) Tales to Astonish #13 (Groot)

3) Strange Tales #97 (1st Aunt May & Uncle Ben)

Edited by AtlasFan

I would also include TTA and TOS #1s on that list. Both key Pre Hero comics too me.

The list of pre-hero books that would be a key for their content would be a short one, in all likelihood. The three above would qualify (though I am still irritated about the TTA #13). Frankie raises a good point about the #1 issues, but there again it is because of an external factor (the numbering) rather than any particular event inside the books themselves.

Some of the prototype issues that are actually prototypes, like the recently discussed TOS #16, should qualify for this list as well. That, of course, depends on what is agreed upon as a "true" prototype, which is a tricky thing to define.

Disgusting lol Well I guess I read elsewhere that Stan was tired of following leads and trends (after all monster movies were around since the mid 50s) and wanted to do something original, so maybe the monster books represent following the trends. Or maybe they represented failure ( the company was at an ebb when the monsters started) and the hero books success. Or perhaps he just found it easier to look down on them than have to explain the creative genius behind Bombu, Orogo and Taboo. Whatever the case, that's a shame :(

I have heard Stan discuss this - the monster covers are what sold the books - as per Martin Goodman's direction.

The 5-page Lee/Ditko collaborations were often the hidden gems of the pre-hero books - which, when you think about it, those stories were influenced by the very popular Twilight Zone TV series and EC's SF/horror stories (with their twist endings - that is).

Edited by AtlasFan