• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,043 posts in this topic

But then what will I shave with?

Should've bought the 9.8 :baiting:

I usually avail myself of this copy (:

JIM63.jpg

Just replaced my kids as my iPhone image. :lol:

What a beauty

I'm not sure I've ever seen a better PH book. Smoking grade, classic cover, fairly early issue from a scarcer title, pedigree, page quality, this one's got everything.

I need a smoke. :luhv: And I don't smoke.

Just replaced my kids as my iPhone image.

That's a little extreme! :o

Thanks all for the comments on the JIM 63. I think it likely a nm+, unless there is some small defect on the back cover that I am forgetting about.

Thx for making my 8.5 look like a piece of pooh!!
Did you purchase the other WM copy? From the scans, that was a very bright and appealing book just not as structurally tight as this copy.

Do you have, or know who owns, the WM ST89?
Have not seen it and don't know if there was one in the collection.

I saw all of the copies in Overstreet's collection, which is where nearly all of my copies come from. While Bob had first pick from the first set of WM books, Jerry Wiest brought out more WMs over the years and I don't know that Bob obtained any from those subsequent groups. I can't imagine that he would have passed over ST 89 should it have been available to him as he was picking up substantial parts of the runs of each pre-hero Marvel title as well as select issues from other 50s sci-fi titles.

These scans are re-postings but I guess there have been enough new arrivals to warrant putting up a few more.

ST74.jpg

Just replaced my kids as my iPhone image.

That's a little extreme! :o

Thanks all for the comments on the JIM 63. I think it likely a nm+, unless there is some small defect on the back cover that I am forgetting about.

Thx for making my 8.5 look like a piece of pooh!!
Did you purchase the other WM copy? From the scans, that was a very bright and appealing book just not as structurally tight as this copy.

Do you have, or know who owns, the WM ST89?
Have not seen it and don't know if there was one in the collection.

I saw all of the copies in Overstreet's collection, which is where nearly all of my copies come from. While Bob had first pick from the first set of WM books, Jerry Wiest brought out more WMs over the years and I don't know that Bob obtained any from those subsequent groups. I can't imagine that he would have passed over ST 89 should it have been available to him as he was picking up substantial parts of the runs of each pre-hero Marvel title as well as select issues from other 50s sci-fi titles.

These scans are re-postings but I guess there have been enough new arrivals to warrant putting up a few more.

ST74.jpg

yeah NM+ is what I thought too from the front cover. Incredible.

You asked about my copy. I don't think its a WM. Its the Nic Cage copy that was on comicconnect not long ago.

Thanks re ST89. I wonder hm

Love your ST 74 too :headbang:

There's a cgc8.5 WM copy of JIM 63 that sold in one of the auctions last year. I was very impressed with the appearance of the book based on the scan.

I seem to recall that I definitely saw the WM ST 89 at Jerry Weist's booth at a NY show. He had a group of WM PH books on a wire rack. I asked to look at a few without taking them out of their sleeves. I seem to remember the ST 89 was not as nice as the other issues I looked at. Also, the stratospheric prices made me move on.

That ST 74 is unbelievable. That issue is one of the more difficult ones to find in HG.

It is amazing how these books were able to be preserved by the original owner.

Most copies were not even that nice right off the stand due to rough handling by the distributors.

Thanks for the info on the NY Show.

Not all of the WMs are structurally superior as I passed on many from Overstreet's collection that had handling defects of various kinds. I am amazed whenever I do see a nice copy of a pre-hero that was purchased off of a newsstand as so many bad things could have happened to cause problems.

TOS13.jpg

Not all of the WMs are structurally superior as I passed on many from Overstreet's collection that had handling defects of various kinds. I am amazed whenever I do see a nice copy of a pre-hero that was purchased off of a newsstand as so many bad things could have happened to cause problems.

Here is one of the less structurally superior copies, and that is the reason I could manage to fulfill a long time goal of adding a WM pre-hero to my modest collection.

ST96CGC.jpg

Here is one of the less structurally superior copies, and that is the reason I could manage to fulfill a long time goal of adding a WM pre-hero to my modest collection.

ST96CGC.jpg

Sweet looking copy!! :applause: