• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, mysterio said:

That is enough to do it. My TTA #25 is in that club.

TTA25CGC.jpg

It's just the way I like 'em! A great looking book with it's downgrading defect on the back cover, preserving the eye appeal of the front cover! I wish I could find more!  (thumbsu Btw, sweet looking TTA #25!!!  :banana:

21 hours ago, mysterio said:

Thanks! Down to 16 to go (17 if I include the #49 I'd like to upgrade).

Are you going for the entire run or just the comics code ones?  I always thought a JIM #1 would be so cool to own.  The Russ Heath cover is so much better than the one for Strange Tales #1.

20 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Are you going for the entire run or just the comics code ones?  I always thought a JIM #1 would be so cool to own.  The Russ Heath cover is so much better than the one for Strange Tales #1.

I’m working on #1-82. Just got a decent #6 to complete #1-12 (need to do a group photo). I agree with you on the cover for #1. I enjoy owning my ST #1 but have always been more satisfied to own the JIM #1.

4 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

#6 is my favorite cover in the prehero run.  Mysterio deserves a hand for his copy.  Apparently everyone agrees with me because even a 2.0 is over $1000 these days.  

I paid just over that for this 3.5, and felt like I got a good deal on it. I think that this is probably the 2nd best book in the run after #1.

Edited by mysterio

1 minute ago, mysterio said:

I paid just over that for this 3.5, and felt like I got a good deal on it. I think that this is probably the 2nd best book in the run after #1.

I think it’s a good deal too because you have people who collect Bill Everett, Journey Into Mystery, Atlas, and/or classic pre-code horror covers all wanting the same book.

Just now, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Wow!  What a set.  Is your plan to all 1-82 graded as well?  That would be awesome.  I might have posted impulsively earlier that #6 is my favorite.  I almost forgot how badass #4, 7, and 9 are.

#11 has become a favorite of mine as well.

Yes, all graded. I'm aiming for 6.0 or higher, but that really isn't going to be possible for the earlier books. Not only are most of those in black hole collections, I'm sure, but my budget would get blown out too much.

A few years back, after the PCH price jumps were well under way, I found a handful of pre code Atlas books in a local shop. Included was a solid mid-grade JIM 6. I bought them all and sold them here, because Atlas PCH isn’t an area of focus for me. I thought hard about keeping the JIM 6; it’s just so cool. I sold them all, tho. 

Here’s the point of my little tale. I paid $75 for the 6. I don’t think I even doubled my money on the sale. Maybe I can search my PMs for specifics.