• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, mysterio said:

This was an early Comiclink purchase for me. Gorgeous book, damn the person who stuck this back cover tape back in the day. Maybe it can be argued as better than tearing it off, but if this was stuck from a bag who uses this much tape?

TOS04CGCa.jpg

TOS04CGCbc.jpg

Looks like a really nice presenting book if not for the partial roll of tape.

I've bought books where the owner thought he needed to waterproof the bag with tape to the point it wrapped around to the front cover. Had to use the old x-acto knife to free the book from its sealed tomb.

-bc

12 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I asked my Dad if he ever knew any kids that sent away for a mail order dog or monkey.  He said he did not.  I wonder if it was legit?  If so, there must have been a lot of p i s s e d off parents.

I have always meant to Google this, and you gave me a perfect excuse. From the link below:

Once in a while, there is some justice to be found in the world. The above ad (sometimes a miniature dog was offered instead of the monkey) was placed by a mail order photo finishing company in Iowa called Dean Studios. In order to win a miniature animal, you had to not only distribute 20 coupons for Dean's services, those 20 people also had to place a minimum order with the company. The Federal Trade Commission got involved in 1960 and discovered that the company not only had never awarded a prize, they didn't even have access to any of the tiny creatures. An official Cease and Desist Letter was eventually issued.

Shameless comic book ads that cost us our allowance money

20 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I asked my Dad if he ever knew any kids that sent away for a mail order dog or monkey.  He said he did not.  I wonder if it was legit?  If so, there must have been a lot of p i s s e d off parents.

Think it was legit, read that a fair amount didn't do well with the shipping.

Looks like m cleared that up!

Check this out about another ad (may have to manually paste the URL, can't get it to link)

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/undertheinfluence/mail-order-monkeys-other-crazy-comic-book-ads-1.4536179

-bc

Edited by bc

3 minutes ago, bc said:

Looks like a really nice presenting book if not for the partial roll of tape.

I've bought books where the owner thought he needed to waterproof the bag with tape to the point it wrapped around to the front cover. Had to use the old x-acto knife to free the book from its sealed tomb.

-bc

Thanks! It is one of the prettiest pre-hero books I own, I'm pretty confident it would be in your preferred grade range if not for the tape.

Oh my God, that’s hilarious!

2 hours ago, bc said:

Think it was legit, read that a fair amount didn't do well with the shipping.

Looks like m cleared that up!

Check this out about another ad (may have to manually paste the URL, can't get it to link)

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/undertheinfluence/mail-order-monkeys-other-crazy-comic-book-ads-1.4536179

-bc