• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,213 posts in this topic

On 7/23/2024 at 2:33 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! (PART 1)

The last couple of UKPV pre-hero Strange Tales have trickled in, and I now have a full run of all 25 available (ST78 has no pence variant, more's the pity).

Still chipping away at the other titles. Not far off completing Tales To Astonish. Then I need to get the cents copies, then the appropriate Creatures Roam/Monsters Dwell, then the Miller Mystic, Spellbound etc variations,  then the Alan Class with ST covers, then the Mexican editions, and then....................... It's going to be a hectic couple of days.

comicst100 (2).jpg

comicst99 (2).jpg

comicst98 (2).jpg

comicst97 (2).jpg

comicst96 (3).jpg

comicst95 (2).jpg

comicst94 (2).jpg

comicst93 (2).jpg

comicst92 (2).jpg

comicst91 (3).jpg

comicst90 (2).jpg

comicst89 (2).jpg

comicst88 (3).jpg

comicst87 (2).jpg

comicst866 (4).jpg

comicst85 (3).jpg

comicst84 (2).jpg

comicst83 (2).jpg

comicst82 (3).jpg

comicst81 (2).jpg

comicst80 (2).jpg

comicst79 (3).jpg

comicst77 (2).jpg

comicst76 (2).jpg

comicst75 (4).jpg

:headbang:

Awesome set of classics!

On 7/19/2024 at 3:16 PM, KirbyJack said:

I’ve reached a point in my life where I must sadly accept that I will never join my fellow villagers in protest; pitchforks and torches in hand. 

Other than that, life has been pretty good to me. 

What is it about having a pitchfork that makes you feel invulnerable?

This lot are taking on a 50 foot reptile with no qualms.

No word balloons, but if there were, they would read: 'Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough' and 'Did you spill my pint, mate?' in Serbo-Croat or whatever.

comicst83.jpg

On 7/24/2024 at 1:38 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

What is it about having a pitchfork that makes you feel invulnerable?

This lot are taking on a 50 foot reptile with no qualms.

No word balloons, but if there were, they would read: 'Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough' and 'Did you spill my pint, mate?' in Serbo-Croat or whatever.

comicst83.jpg

More pitchforks & torches!

aa_4_cropped.jpg.6a5b40bb19a8988be6023515cb9dfe30.jpg

jim_77_cropped.jpg.cb76ca7d540a68c673c7d575502cb2ca.jpg

tos_11_cropped.jpg.0ffb9ddc123d537134ec76126d232a07.jpg

-bc

The TOS 11 is easily my favorite of those posted!

And thanks, bc, for posting the sweet, Sweet Lou14 update. Never one to slab, I would not have found that on my own. Congratulations Lou! You have a transcendent collection!

On 7/15/2024 at 3:30 AM, Frisco Larson said:

I've never seen that but can easily understand why it might be. Some people got pretty carried away with the whole "prototype" business! That Strange Tales issue (76? maybe) that they're calling a Human Torch prototype!!! Really? Someone go back to 1939 and tell Carl Burgos! lol

Could not agree more.

Far too many 'prototype' claims.

The Hulk of JIM # 62 and # 66 was an at least partly mechanical alien tyrant from a distant galaxy, and cannot have been a prototype or predecessor  in the mind of the creators of the alter ego of Bruce Banner, a human scientist transformed by a tragic accident.

Far more likely to have been an inspiration is the Midnight Monster of JIM # 79, as shown below.

And this is cover dated only one month before Incredible Hulk # 1, so would have been fresh in the minds of Stan and Jack.

A few others have also noted this, but for the most part it seems to have gone under the radar.

And, of course, the wellspring for the tale is depicted in the Classics Illustrated shown.

If only Robert Louis Stevenson had been around in NYC in the 1940s his talent would have been tailor made for the comics.

I was familiar with Treasure Island, but when we had to cover Kidnapped during my school days, I was turned off by the passages of Scots dialect, but I rediscovered the book later and was able to appreciate it, and it led me on to RLS's  short stories, little masterpieces.

Whoops! Missed a couple of pages out, have added them at bottom, out of order, but better late than never.

comicjim791.jpg

comicjim792.jpg

comicjim793.jpg

comicjim794.jpg

comicjim795.jpg

comicjim796.jpg

comicclassic85.jpg

comica.jpg

comicb.jpg

Edited by Albert Tatlock
scan added.

On 8/5/2024 at 11:38 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! (PART 2)

Just discovered the last two Tales To Astonish UKPVs in my spares, #s 14 and 21.

They are a bit rough compared with my cents copies, but they complete the set of all available pre-hero Astonish UK 9d versions, 22 in number, as 11, 12 and 13 have never been observed, and it is overwhelmingly likely that the Loch Ness Monster will emerge blinking into the daylight before those 3 show up.

The hunt for the remaining missing issues of the other PHM titles goes on.

There are two anomalies in that the old masthead used on the first 11 issues briefly reappears (minus exclamation mark) on #s 18 and 33.

No idea why, maybe someone can enlighten me.

comicTTAfirst.jpg

comicttasecond.jpg

comictta34.jpg

comictta33.jpg

comictta32.jpg

comictta31.jpg

comictta30.jpg

comictta29.jpg

comictta28.jpg

comictta27.jpg

comictta26.jpg

comictta25.jpg

comictta24.jpg

comictta23.jpg

comictta22.jpg

comictta21.jpg

comictta20.jpg

comictta19.jpg

comictta18.jpg

comictta17.jpg

comictta16.jpg

comictta15.jpg

comictta14.jpg

comictta10.jpg

Awesome set sir! 

Think the reason that they dropped the "!" in the title block was due to them needing to use that at least 3 times in the cover word balloons after their shift to the "big monster" era from the sci-fi stories in issues 1-8 of both TTA and TOS.

That TTA 10 has 12 exclamation marks in the cover word balloons alone !!!!!!!!!!!!

-bc

On 8/5/2024 at 9:37 PM, bc said:

Awesome set sir! 

Think the reason that they dropped the "!" in the title block was due to them needing to use that at least 3 times in the cover word balloons after their shift to the "big monster" era from the sci-fi stories in issues 1-8 of both TTA and TOS.

That TTA 10 has 12 exclamation marks in the cover word balloons alone !!!!!!!!!!!!

-bc

And poor old # 22 has none at all.

But # 32 has nine of these......?????????

On 8/5/2024 at 5:20 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

And poor old # 22 has none at all.

But # 32 has nine of these......?????????

The Letterer must have had to a minimum number of characters in order to get paid and they used !!!!! and ????? as padding  (shrug)

-bc