• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDDC 2013 - Preview Night Pictures?

44 posts in this topic

No pictures, unfortunately, but I was at the Con yesterday. It was mostly socializing; I probably ended up talking to 15-20 collectors and dealers over the course of the afternoon/evening. The consensus seems very blasé about the art at the Con for the most part: not a lot of fresh material + high prices = ennui for the most part. I always like going out to San Diego and seeing some OA dealers who don't normally set up at the East Coast conventions, so I was probably more jazzed about seeing what was there than most.

Early buzz was that Mitch sold a couple of Frank Miller 300 pages, which is a big deal to Miller fans (not sure if any of the art from the series has been let loose before).

Heard of one huge deal go down with a dealer. Sorry, no details as I don't want to steal the buyer's thunder if he should choose to make it public at some point.

Burkey has the ASM 50 cover there; I didn't see it but, talking to those who did, they were very impressed.

Albert has the Uncanny X-Men #127 cover for sale. Heard it's $150 or $160K. It is very, very nice in person. I overheard him quote $160K for his Frazetta Famous Funnies cover as well (which is actually down from where it was offered last year - who says OA dealers can't be reasonable?)

At Thibodeaux's booth, he had the JIM #86 splash for $60K. ASM #25 first Mary Jane page (face not shown) was $65K. Green Lantern #82 cover was $85K. FF #99 splash was $35K.

Jim D'Amico is set up with Burkey and has a lovely Dave Stevens Alien Worlds #2 cover (those who were at SDCC 2008 might remember D'Amico re-acquiring the cover then). I heard $80K is the price but D'Amico wasn't around when I stopped by.

The Red Nails OA book looks nice. The reproduction is sharp - I was told they went through numerous scanner settings to get it just right. It is printed on slick paper; each page is reproduced (not full bleed - there are colored borders) with one panel from the page being blown up on the facing page with the page # underneath (that's why it's so many more pages than the actual story). It comes in a nice slipcase. They have plans for a spectacular follow-up to this project, but, again, I don't want to steal their thunder and will wait for them to make the eventual announcement.

I picked up a couple of IDW Artist Edition SDCC exclusives (Mark Schultz, Jack Davis), but the EC Covers portfolio was not available in time for the Con so they are offering refunds or the option to have it shipped instead.

I picked up a big want list item yesterday (not the Tomb of Dracula #13 cover I posted on my CAF yesterday - something else), though I will wait to post it until I finalize all my Con purchases as there are a couple of other things I am considering as I check off the last few remaining items on my want list. hm

Not at the Con today (going to Del Mar for horse racing instead) but should be at the Con on Friday/Saturday so hopefully will have more to report then.

Gene,

Was the Red Nails book available at the show or did they just have a sample copy or sample pages?

I was cautiously optimistic about this and had ordered a copy locally. I am glad to hear that it appears to be a high quality job. I can't wait to hear what will be coming next.

Gary J.

Gene,

Was the Red Nails book available at the show or did they just have a sample copy or sample pages?

I was cautiously optimistic about this and had ordered a copy locally. I am glad to hear that it appears to be a high quality job. I can't wait to hear what will be coming next.

Gary J.

They have loads of copies at the show for sale. I am going to pick one up on Friday; I just couldn't carry it along with everything else I bought yesterday. (thumbs u

I think they did a great job, though I'm a little worried that the paper might wrinkle/wear over repeated readings/viewings vs. the thicker stock that IDW uses.

No pictures, unfortunately, but I was at the Con yesterday. It was mostly socializing; I probably ended up talking to 15-20 collectors and dealers over the course of the afternoon/evening. The consensus seems very blasé about the art at the Con for the most part: not a lot of fresh material + high prices = ennui for the most part. I always like going out to San Diego and seeing some OA dealers who don't normally set up at the East Coast conventions, so I was probably more jazzed about seeing what was there than most.

Early buzz was that Mitch sold a couple of Frank Miller 300 pages, which is a big deal to Miller fans (not sure if any of the art from the series has been let loose before).

Heard of one huge deal go down with a dealer. Sorry, no details as I don't want to steal the buyer's thunder if he should choose to make it public at some point.

Burkey has the ASM 50 cover there; I didn't see it but, talking to those who did, they were very impressed.

Albert has the Uncanny X-Men #127 cover for sale. Heard it's $150 or $160K. It is very, very nice in person. I overheard him quote $160K for his Frazetta Famous Funnies cover as well (which is actually down from where it was offered last year - who says OA dealers can't be reasonable?)

At Thibodeaux's booth, he had the JIM #86 splash for $60K. ASM #25 first Mary Jane page (face not shown) was $65K. Green Lantern #82 cover was $85K. FF #99 splash was $35K.

Jim D'Amico is set up with Burkey and has a lovely Dave Stevens Alien Worlds #2 cover (those who were at SDCC 2008 might remember D'Amico re-acquiring the cover then). I heard $80K is the price but D'Amico wasn't around when I stopped by.

The Red Nails OA book looks nice. The reproduction is sharp - I was told they went through numerous scanner settings to get it just right. It is printed on slick paper; each page is reproduced (not full bleed - there are colored borders) with one panel from the page being blown up on the facing page with the page # underneath (that's why it's so many more pages than the actual story). It comes in a nice slipcase. They have plans for a spectacular follow-up to this project, but, again, I don't want to steal their thunder and will wait for them to make the eventual announcement.

I picked up a couple of IDW Artist Edition SDCC exclusives (Mark Schultz, Jack Davis), but the EC Covers portfolio was not available in time for the Con so they are offering refunds or the option to have it shipped instead.

I picked up a big want list item yesterday (not the Tomb of Dracula #13 cover I posted on my CAF yesterday - something else), though I will wait to post it until I finalize all my Con purchases as there are a couple of other things I am considering as I check off the last few remaining items on my want list. hm

Not at the Con today (going to Del Mar for horse racing instead) but should be at the Con on Friday/Saturday so hopefully will have more to report then.

Thanks Gene - that's the stuff!

I overheard him quote $160K for his Frazetta Famous Funnies cover as well (which is actually down from where it was offered last year - who says OA dealers can't be reasonable?)

Which issue? hm

Green Lantern #82 cover was $85K.

An Adams GL cover (granted, the lamest cover of all) is priced barely higher than a Dave Stevens cover?

Dave Stevens covers go for $80K?!

Heard of several big deals going down - some involved guys who post here so I won't steal their thunder, but the hot topic last night was that the Cap 101 cover sold to The Brit yesterday (not sure if for full ask or not).

Gene, is the FF 99 splash you mentioned the title splash or an interior splash?

Thanks!

Carlo Michelini

Title splash with Reed and Sue and Thing (on skis I believe?) looking at himself in the mirror.

I should just warn you that Thibodeaux is having a great show and will probably not be in a discounting mood. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he puts away some art and saves it for next year the way things are going. :whatthe:

An Adams GL cover (granted, the lamest cover of all) is priced barely higher than a Dave Stevens cover?

Both are probably aggressive, and the Stevens especially so from the opinions I sampled.

Both are probably aggressive, and the Stevens especially so from the opinions I sampled.

$80K is the new $20K

I overheard him quote $160K for his Frazetta Famous Funnies cover as well (which is actually down from where it was offered last year - who says OA dealers can't be reasonable?)

Which issue? hm

I definitely want that cover but I am a few dozen K short at the moment. It went for 105K in 2010-- don't know if that was the last transfer?

Which issue? hm

I definitely want that cover but I am a few dozen K short at the moment. It went for 105K in 2010-- don't know if that was the last transfer?

here's a pic in case you missed it (2nd row from bottom, 2nd piece from right)

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1033518

I love Fraz, but I'm not a huge fan of this one. If the DK2 cover is the constipated batman then this is Buck Rogers with exploding azz action (shrug)

Which issue? hm

here's a pic in case you missed it (2nd row from bottom, 2nd piece from right)

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1033518

I love Fraz, but I'm not a huge fan of this one. If the DK2 cover is the constipated batman then this is Buck Rogers with exploding azz action (shrug)

I'm a huge fan of this one. Frazetta's depiction of Buck as a small, wiry, middle-aged guy is still radical, & makes your comparison to the DK2 cover quite interesting actually, over and above the gastrointestinal aspects.

& I realized the 105K was before the vig, so the real price was more in the 125K range. hm