• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre marvel chipping and miscuts or something else?

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys I was looking over a group of silver aged marvels and was curious about some defects I noticed.

Defect one: I suspect this is either very slight pre marvel chipping or a production defect from when it was cut:

Premarvelchipping_zpsd0c6a3d0.png

Defect two: stepped edges on the open edge of the comic book. I saw this on several books.

Miscut_zps21d1100c.png

I hope you can tell from the scans. If you have an idea what they are and how they are both treated by cgc let me know.

Thanks in advance

Jake

Defect A is marvel chipping, a production defect. Depending on chipping severity it will impact the grade. Defect B just looks like the way the book was cut, I've had a few SA books cut this way and were graded as normal.

Defect A is marvel chipping, a production defect. Depending on chipping severity it will impact the grade. Defect B just looks like the way the book was cut, I've had a few SA books cut this way and were graded as normal.

i'm not so sure about that on the A. i have some old marvels like that and it's from a dull blade. if the newsprint at the same area as the flaw has a little ridge all the way through, it's production from a dull cutting blade.

i'm not so sure about that on the A. i have some old marvels like that and it's from a dull blade. if the newsprint at the same area as the flaw has a little ridge all the way through, it's production from a dull cutting blade.

I am not sure if it is a confusion of these two phenomenon but I have heard it said that marvel chipping is the result of using a dull blade. That the blade stresses the paper along the edge and over time this extra stress at production coupled with the low quality paper results in the chipping.