• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is how eBay accounts get highjacked!

12 posts in this topic

Look at this B.S. EMAIL from alledgedly eBay. Notice that the insufficiently_thoughtful_person spelled customer = costomer. The link asked for password and credit card information. The return EMAIL address is aw@eBay.com

[eBay logo was in the body but the letters were jagged and not smooth like in the website]

Dear valued costumer,

eBay's acquisition of PayPal was completed on October 3, 2002. As part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud on our website , we are undertaking a period review of our member accounts. You are requested to visit our site by following the link given below ,

https://cgi4.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?UserVerify

This message was sent to you courtesy of eBay's computerized e-mail

system. Please do not send a reply to this message, as it will vanish into

the mysterious electronic void. If you have a question or some input,

and would like a response from a live, caring human being, please e-mail

us at info@eBay.com.

Copyright © 1995-2002 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy.

Paypal called me today to verify a big payment I made... and I laid into them.

I've received 3-4 of those scam paypal emails over the past several weeks. The first time was many months ago (before I was aware of the actual scam) and I was on the fence whether or not to respond... although there was no way I was going to enter my CC #.

I gave the rep. much more than she was expecting... criticizing the company and its lack of effort in keeping its customers informed and safe from fraud. I pointed out how idiotic it was of them not to send out warning emails to their customers when they were aware a fraud email had been mass-circulating. I demanded an explanation why not... and I answered it for her since she could only say it was a consideration they've spoke about in meetings... "could it be that the company is afraid customers will lose confidence in the service and abandon their accounts if they were warned regularly about fraud attempts that could work? Paypal must feel its less damaging (for them) to say nothing, let some customers get burned, and not alarm 'all the cattle'. Better not to let them know how easy they can be had at risk of losing more customers"... at this point she was repeating herself and just not prepared to deal with my questioning... I'm such a SOB when I feel big business is screwing me or overlooking their responsibility to me mad.gif

I wouldn't hold your breath... an 8th grader would come up with the solution that they should email a warning to their customers when they are aware of mass-fraud attempts... and in 5 minutes.

The fact that they don't... and call me cynical if you like... is that the bean counters have determined that they would lose more business if they did. What other reason could there be? It reminds me of that Gene Hackman movie "Legal-something" I saw, based on a real story (although more grim) about a car company that was aware that one of their cars when stuck from the rear while the left signal was blinking, would blow up!...but the bean counters determined the statistical odds of it happening were X amount and that they could expect the families of the deceased X amount to collect Y amount in court AND that was far F'n less than what they would have to pay to recall the entire line and fix the problem... so SAY NOTHING and let X amount die and pay off their families.. it makes fiscal sense... those [!@#%^&^] sucking [!@#%^&^] bastards!!!

I know the Paypal thing is no where near that level, but its that type of company profit over people's well being (in many forms) thinking that pisses me off! mad.gifmad.gif