• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Definition of First Cover Appearance of a Character

34 posts in this topic

So wouldn't Venom be an interesting one?

Or what about MJ?

How is Venom that interesting? He was covered 5 posts above yours.

As for MJ, her first cover appearance is a significant one (as long as it's ASM 59 and I'm not missing something).

Or what about MJ?

As for MJ, her first cover appearance is a significant one (as long as it's ASM 59 and I'm not missing something).

M.J.'s is #59, but from issue #25 to #42 her appearances inside the comic are quite vague. #59 is one of my all time favorite covers though. Mary Jane the way she's supposed to look. Happy go lucky and care free. Not like that horrible Kirsten Dunst from the first three movies. Depressing to say the least. Here's my #59. Working on a #25, but it ain't easy!

photo 532fc600.jpg

Or what about MJ?

In today's world, Venom is more the symbiote than the Eddie Brock Venom. I think an argument could be made that thus it is Secret Wars 8. Or even the Team Up issue that hit the stands first.

I'm more playing devils advocate though.

Or what about MJ?

M.J.'s is #59, but from issue #25 to #42 her appearances inside the comic are quite vague. #59 is one of my all time favorite covers though. Mary Jane the way she's supposed to look. Happy go lucky and care free. Not like that horrible Kirsten Dunst from the first three movies. Depressing to say the least. Here's my #59. Working on a #25, but it ain't easy!

photo 532fc600.jpg

Always liked that cover. It was... Groovy.

I would believe that the first cover appearance of a character would be defined as the first time a specific character initially appeared on a comic book cover for the first time ever. Thoughts?

Two interesting situations that, if they can be solved, might clear up the whole question.

One is the Jackpot #4 situation.

It's Archie, it even has his name and "new feature",

but he's not the focus of the cover, and Overstreet credits Pep #36 instead.

The other situation is Doomsday.

Man of Steel #18 shows Doomsday as a full figure and the focus of the cover,

but he is completely wrapped in cloth/goggles/bindings.

We can't actually see Doomsday... he's essentially behind a body-shaped curtain.

If BOTH of these situations ARE the first cover appearance of a character,

then it might solve every other debatable situation where there's

only a small or totally-obscured appearance.

I don't subscribe to the idea that just because a character is not in his "uniform" means that it's not actually him in that appearance. Whatever name, shape, form or shadow they appear as - it's still them.

We can't actually see Doomsday... he's essentially behind a body-shaped curtain.

I don't subscribe to the idea that just because a character is not in his "uniform" means that it's not actually him in that appearance. Whatever name, shape, form or shadow they appear as - it's still them.

I was stuck on the definition of "appearance" - the way that someone or something looks.

Man of Steel #18 definitely has the "presence" of Doomsday on the cover, but we don't know what he looks like yet (his appearance).

Same problem for having someone in the shadows.

So how about when a character's first cover appearance is years after their first appearance in comics? Mystique's first full appearance is in Ms. Marvel #18 on 6/78, and as far as I can tell, she doesn't appear on a cover until Avengers Annual #10 in 1981. Almost three years later. Nobody wants it for that reason because it's the first Rogue appearance. So it's impossible to put a value on it for it being Mystique's first cover. Oddly enough, it's the reason I want one because it leads to Carol Danvers (Ms. Marvel) being powerless in X-Men #150. Nine issues after Mystique's first appearance in X-Men #141.

I was stuck on the definition of "appearance" - the way that someone or something looks.

Man of Steel #18 definitely has the "presence" of Doomsday on the cover, but we don't know what he looks like yet (his appearance).

Same problem for having someone in the shadows.

The thing to also remember is that comic writers don't care how collectors view the book. They are writing to entertain and create tension and drama. So it's up to the collectors to figure out the definition.

So how about when a character's first cover appearance is years after their first appearance in comics? Mystique's first full appearance is in Ms. Marvel #18 on 6/78, and as far as I can tell, she doesn't appear on a cover until Avengers Annual #10 in 1981. Almost three years later. Nobody wants it for that reason because it's the first Rogue appearance. So it's impossible to put a value on it for it being Mystique's first cover. Oddly enough, it's the reason I want one because it leads to Carol Danvers (Ms. Marvel) being powerless in X-Men #150. Nine issues after Mystique's first appearance in X-Men #141.

What value does a cover appearance have? Who cares?

Same with #48 and #49 with Silver Surfer. #49 blows away #48 as far as cover design goes to me.

#48 is super-cool. :cloud9:

About Shanna: I totally love #5: 1st Nekra, 1st cover apperance of Nekra. :D

Shanna is another comic I was going to try to have the full set in 9.8, but it's impossible to find any. There was a #3 9.8 on eBay, but it had a miswrap cover. So I passed on it several times. Now it's gone. doh!

FF #48 is awesome, but I like the way #49 is laid out better. Ideally I'd love to have #48, #49, and #50 in about 8.5 condition, but that's not going to happen any time soon.