• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manifest Destiny - Skybound - Chris Dingess, Matthew Roberts
1 1

2,663 posts in this topic

if it were just the RRP that was rising in price, then some could probably yell shill and such...but every issue 1-4 is showing some kind of heat. I think the covers are helping to drive sales. Not to mention it's unique.

if you are going to create a hypothetical, might as well replace the straw man with a tin man....

The point of shilling is to change the market, then you unload on to the people buying into the hype. Then afterwards, they ask, what happened, and hold on waiting for prices to come back....

You see, the hyping up to unload is often refered to as "PUMP and DUMP". Where shilling acts during the pump phase to create false confidence. The DUMP comes after...

For someone who just likes the book, you seem to do a lot of passive aggressive potshots and justifying. Let me re-write your comment for you:

if it were just the RRP that was rising in price, then some could probably yell shill and such...but every issue 1-4 is showing some kind of heat. I think the covers are helping to drive sales. Not to mention it's unique.

I believe this book is currently selling for its true Fair Market Value. The fact that I own a bunch and am waiting for them to come back from CGC has no bearing on my opinion. The fact that all of the variants and covers are going up, tells me, this is the real deal.

See how much nicer that is. To which I would reply, well, the bump in prices came after a couple very suspicious sales. Given how the market has been for the last 13 months, I would advise caution and patience, but continued strong sales is always a good thing.

much happier!

You know, I've grown accustomed to reprints having different covers, I'm a little disappointed by these reprints.

I don't have any hard evidence but I would bet that Matthew Roberts is killing himself getting the art done for the inside of the book. That doesn't leave any time to come up with fancy new covers every time Image wants to reprint. I would rather the books hit shelves in a timely manner than reprint mania.

2c

I've been back and forth with Matt on the OA. He stopped doing full pencils followed by separate inks during issue #3. It was a while back, but I think at first they had expected an inker to work off Matt's full pencils, so he did the pencils in full detail to hand off to someone else. That someone else turned out to be himself.

Now he is inking directly over pencils or doing blue line layouts with ink on top. So maybe less time needed than before... but that might explain the lack of a different 2nd print cover.

if you are going to create a hypothetical, might as well replace the straw man with a tin man....

The point of shilling is to change the market, then you unload on to the people buying into the hype. Then afterwards, they ask, what happened, and hold on waiting for prices to come back....

You see, the hyping up to unload is often refered to as "PUMP and DUMP". Where shilling acts during the pump phase to create false confidence. The DUMP comes after...

For someone who just likes the book, you seem to do a lot of passive aggressive potshots and justifying. Let me re-write your comment for you:

I believe this book is currently selling for its true Fair Market Value. The fact that I own a bunch and am waiting for them to come back from CGC has no bearing on my opinion. The fact that all of the variants and covers are going up, tells me, this is the real deal.

See how much nicer that is. To which I would reply, well, the bump in prices came after a couple very suspicious sales. Given how the market has been for the last 13 months, I would advise caution and patience, but continued strong sales is always a good thing.

much happier!

:roflmao::applause:

Given how the market has been for the last 13 months, I would advise caution and patience, but continued strong sales is always a good thing.

This.

NWM mentioned above isn't a great example, but ToT is. It's STILL too early to anoint this a one way trend.

Given how the market has been for the last 13 months, I would advise caution and patience, but continued strong sales is always a good thing.

This.

NWM mentioned above isn't a great example, but ToT is. It's STILL too early to anoint this a one way trend.

Indeed, a call to prudence is taken as a sign of insurrection. People can insult the man but can they assail the idea he promotes?

Having said that, I think there is a real chance that the LBCC boat will have sailed before the dust settles on this book.

People are going to talk about the next big thing forever. It isn't limited to moderns. Swamp Thing 37, Sandman 1 and 8, Hulk 271, X-men 4, all things GotG, Preacher 1 and 13, Amazing Spider-man 361, Man of Steel 17-18, and anything with Warlock or Rocket Raccoon. In moderns its this,Revival, EoW, Saga, TWD, Invincible, Sixth Gun, and about 100 others. I really don't consider this hallowed ground. People aren't going to pump something they don't have or read. Some of it gets expensive and some doesn't but the market (people spending their hard earned money) always decide.

If you guys cant realize its your reputations that get hurt by all this then please continue.

All CBT does is filter out all the BS to get at the best representation of the truth. I got np being a cheerleader for that.

Why does CBT, or anyone, get to decide what is BS or not?

What if a person new to the boards wandered in here and said, "Wow, I had no idea prices for regular issues were so high already?" Will they then get immediately shot down for just quoting a fact? Immediately called a pumper? Piled on with walls of text?

Prices are higher than cover price. Fact. You can either buy issues at those prices or not. No one is using a gun here.

How do reputations get hurt by showing joy that a comic is doing well. I think some wrongly assume there are nefarious reasons for posting the ups and downs of a comics present financial status.

Not every post of joy is a pump...not every auction is a shill.

How do reputations get hurt by showing joy that a comic is doing well. I think some wrongly assume there are nefarious reasons for posting the ups and downs of a comics present financial status.

Not every post of joy is a pump...not every auction is a shill.

It's not the "posts showing joy" that could hurt reputations, it's the persistent backhand comments...the attempt to make it look like you know something that the rest of us don't.

Im glad the book is doing well, but it's definitely too early to conclude that sales are driven by how awesome it is vs speculation.

I like how feisty people get over this book. :slapfight:

Is it the best comic on the market? IMO it isn't but it's a great, fun read. And I would like to point out that the increased prices for sales aren't driven by tv hype, yet. Unless it's all speculation that it will eventually get a series being that it's a Skybound book and that a tv writer writes it.

Am I invested in this book? Yes, but not too heavily, and I got in at the start so it was very cheap. I just had a feeling with this one. However, I did hook up a boardie on a nice trade for a LBCC simply because he's a good guy and I had help getting my LBCC's from other boardies. It's not all pumping and dumping, there are people here that show some love and spread the wealth too. But i can see the arguement from both sides, and encourage debate. rantrant