• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manifest Destiny - Skybound - Chris Dingess, Matthew Roberts
1 1

2,663 posts in this topic

1.) Why does CBT, or anyone, get to decide what is BS or not?

2.) What if a person new to the boards wandered in here and said, "Wow, I had no idea prices for regular issues were so high already?" Will they then get immediately shot down for just quoting a fact? Immediately called a pumper? Piled on with walls of text?

1.) I certainly do not get to decide, all one can do is share their opinions, or post links to facts.

2.) I dont see how you come to that conclusion, I have never done that, nor have I ever seen anyone do that.

I'd like to turn that question around and pose it back to you. Why do I get attacked for merely even SUGGESTING that an auction might be suspect? If I merely post links, and post facts about said links, why do people attack me instead of discuss the information I post or the suggestions I make.

Take for instance this new auction that everyone is watching:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&rt=nc&item=281276161539

Now, when I look at that, from a purely neutral ebay veteran point of view, a few things jump out at me right away.

1.) From $250 up, only two guys are driving the price up.

2.) They are going into a bidding war against each other 4+ days before the end of the auction (bid dates)

3.) They have 95 and 373 feedback respectively. Two "experienced" ebayers, voluntarily driving the book up by bid war'ing the better part of a week before it ends...

4.) The last completed sale on ebay was for $232 (sold by krighton)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=manifest+destiny+lbcc&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

So, this 5 day early bid war has already pushed the price well above the last sale.

5.) The original auction (which i got blasted for as well, but was obviously BS)

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&rt=nc&item=171227910896

Also saw two people bid it up from exactly $250 and several days before the end.

Those observations make me look at that auction with a lot of skepticism. Maybe I am right, maybe I am not, do I not have the right to share my thoughts and observations?

Notice CBT wants to only focus on the LBCC and is ignoring the series as a whole.

Take a look at the history of the Ottley Variants.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=manifest+ottley+cgc&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

Look at the bidding history for the auction in the mix.

Multiple bidders making a play at this book over the $100 mark. And now the most recent fixed price listing was at $185

Also CBT must not have much experience attending live auctions, because anyone who has been in that world, and I am speaking of live auctions(where you are raising your card to bid) such as Heritage, knows bigger ticket items normally end up being a bidding war between two bidders. When I bought and sold rare coins and currency I remember some pieces going $10,000 and $20,000 higher after it was only two bidders, so to write this off as two inexperienced bidders is short sighted.

Just because it was two different bidders driving up the price does not discount the price realized as fairy dust or make it questionable.

1.) Why does CBT, or anyone, get to decide what is BS or not?

2.) What if a person new to the boards wandered in here and said, "Wow, I had no idea prices for regular issues were so high already?" Will they then get immediately shot down for just quoting a fact? Immediately called a pumper? Piled on with walls of text?

1.) I certainly do not get to decide, all one can do is share their opinions, or post links to facts.

2.) I dont see how you come to that conclusion, I have never done that, nor have I ever seen anyone do that.

I'd like to turn that question around and pose it back to you. Why do I get attacked for merely even SUGGESTING that an auction might be suspect? If I merely post links, and post facts about said links, why do people attack me instead of discuss the information I post or the suggestions I make.

I have no problem with anyone pointing out questionable auctions; that research is more time-consuming than other things around here, but it also sheds light on some sellers and final hammer prices.

What I was attempting to say, although worded poorly, is that nearly every time a person posts that a modern comic is hot or doing well, the same troupe eventually wander in to the forum and accuse everyone of hyping a comic for personal gain.

I'm not naive and I do know there are times when this is happening, but it feels like blanket accusations. The auctions you posted - which are all for CGC comics - may be wrong or they may be right or somewhere in-between. But even taking these out of the equation, MD is still selling above expectations on the secondary market and raws are also quite healthy.

The current "suspect" auction could be completely legit. Looking on eBay now, that is the only 9.8 variant at auction. The remaining 3 options are high BINs. One is a Best Offer which is coming close to the price of the auction, but that seller has already had offers and declined them all, which means he/she is not moving far on that price. Leaving only the auction as a place to possibly get a "deal". Supply and demand, albeit at a very small level.

Notice CBT wants to only focus on the LBCC and is ignoring the series as a whole.

The amount of lies/untruth in a single sentence is an impressive achievement. I'd almost have to post a reply to each word lol

I dont WANT anything

I am not FOCUSING on anything

I am not IGNORING anything

etc etc

There is a person here wanting, focusing and ignoring, but it isnt me. I am indifferent, have no agenda, and am merely making observations.

Also CBT must not have much experience attending live auctions, because anyone who has been in that world, and I am speaking of live auctions(where you are raising your card to bid) such as Heritage, knows bigger ticket items normally end up being a bidding war between two bidders. When I bought and sold rare coins and currency I remember some pieces going $10,000 and $20,000 higher after it was only two bidders, so to write this off as two inexperienced bidders is short sighted.

Just because it was two different bidders driving up the price does not discount the price realized as fairy dust or make it questionable.

What you do or dont know about me could fill the Pacific ocean, none of your comments contradict anything I said. I am talking about ebay behaviour, by ebay members, on ebay, versus what is normal. And, I didnt claim anything with certainty... only talking about suspicious-ness, caution, and awareness.

What I was attempting to say, although worded poorly, is that nearly every time a person posts that a modern comic is hot or doing well, the same troupe eventually wander in to the forum and accuse everyone of hyping a comic for personal gain.

The parts I have bolded, are what is wrong and untrue

I'm not naive and I do know there are times when this is happening, but it feels like blanket accusations.

i disagree, i dont know what others are doing, but I certainly dont blanket accuse anything. I dont even read most threads, if one gets a ton of posts I check it out. If someone posts a suspicious looking auction, I have no problem saying what i think, regardless of the flak i get for it.

Remember it all started in this thread because of that first one i posted a link to. The book tripled without cause, and the winning bidder was a fake user. That 5 feedback account that won it, is fake imo, and nothing anyone can say will ever change my mind on that. It was after that, everything started going up, because the speculative eye of sauron turned its gaze ;)

The current "suspect" auction could be completely legit.

It definitely could be, which I did acknowledge, I labeled it as suspicious, and to me, it is very much so. A thing a lot of people dont release is that there is advanced shilling that goes on. Groups of people working together to do so even. Second, third, fourth, etc LEGIT accounts, high feedback, etc. It exists, is it at play here, who knows, but people need to realize, the seller doesnt have to be involved, 373 feedback doesnt mean a thing, 0% bid history, irrelevant.

Ultimately though, logic rules the day. People rarely act against their own interest, and prices dont change without a cause. That alone is enough to be wary, and cautious, which is all I ever warned. Just know, that the people with fake accounts, working in unison to scam, it does exist.

hm
Edited by CBT