• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manifest Destiny - Skybound - Chris Dingess, Matthew Roberts
1 1

2,663 posts in this topic

What I was attempting to say, although worded poorly, is that nearly every time a person posts that a modern comic is hot or doing well, the same troupe eventually wander in to the forum and accuse everyone of hyping a comic for personal gain.

I am one of the 'troupe' who agrees with taking a measured approach to some of the price run-ups we've seen over the past year.

For the record, though, I don't think anyone in this thread has been pumping the book for personal gain. In fact, outside of a couple of stark examples on the boards, we've been reasonably free of this.

I also don't think the people who have suggested prices may have bubbled on book X are sour because they've missed said book.

The current "suspect" auction could be completely legit.

It definitely could be, which I did acknowledge, I labeled it as suspicious, and to me, it is very much so. A thing a lot of people dont release is that there is advanced shilling that goes on. Groups of people working together to do so even. Second, third, fourth, etc LEGIT accounts, high feedback, etc. It exists, is it at play here, who knows, but people need to realize, the seller doesnt have to be involved, 373 feedback doesnt mean a thing, 0% bid history, irrelevant.

Ultimately though, logic rules the day. People rarely act against their own interest, and prices dont change without a cause. That alone is enough to be wary, and cautious, which is all I ever warned. Just know, that the people with fake accounts, working in unison to scam, it does exist.

With all of this advanced shilling running around, you would lead us to believe that every single auction with more than 1 bidder is suspect. How can I trust anything I see? How can anyone else?

So an auction with 2 users bidding on a book below the price of several BIN items is suspicious? Just because people don't follow your exact "rules" of bidding on eBay does not mean something foul is afoot.

Not everyone has a sniping account; and I'm willing to bet the majority of users don't even know what one is. If two people want a book, they will bid whenever they feel like it -- 4 days to go, 2 days to go, the day of, etc.

You are not merely sending a warning flag out to people, you are picking an auction here or there - out of dozens - and calling it suspect with not a lot of evidence to back it up. I know people like to cite high prices to sell their own merchandise at inflated prices, but I'm not yet sure of your motive of crapping on everything.

Are people who bid to be part of the action considered shills.....if they have no intention of bidding high enough to win. I know quite a few will toss a bid into the mix just for fun.

Or is it only considered a shill if you know the seller.

Edited by krighton

I do this and not for fun. I will bid on something to a) follow it if I decide to bid, b) I don't like having to wait a day to see how an auction finished, c) I don't like to use sniping tools because I may find a better deal on the way to the end of the auction and d) I forget about stuff in items being watched.

I don't have any motive other than those listed. I will also bid high on auctions with days to go to try to scare off the competition and get them looking at something else. That is a sometimes strategy as in sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. lol

Edited by The Authority

I do this and not for fun. I will bid on something to a) follow it if I decide to bid, b) I don't like having to wait a day to see how an auction finished, c) I don't like to use sniping tools because I may find a better deal on the way to the end of the auction and d) I forget about stuff in items being watched.

I don't have any motive other than those listed. I will also bid high on auctions with days to go to try to scare off the competition and get them looking at something else. That is a sometimes strategy as in sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. lol

I do the same exact thing.

In fact, I may know who the infamous 373 Feedback bidder is who went up to $300 on a LBCC MD #1....

And I can assure you, he had no ugly ulterior motives other than bidding to the price he would buy the book for.

In fact, I may know who the infamous 373 Feedback bidder is who went up to $300 on a LBCC MD #1....

And I can assure you, he had no ugly ulterior motives other than bidding to the price he would buy the book for.

It may not be the best way to win auctions, but sometimes I get so busy, I just enter my bids, then walk away.

I didn't feel like defending the reason I do this, but this argument is getting a little out of control, so I decided to shed some light on this "conspiracy theory".

At least now everyone knows why one of the bidders went high two days early.

Well, I was going to jump into the old Mystery Machine with Shag and Scoob and solve this problem but you've saved me a trip. I would have been seraching a long time as I had you pegged as more of a 9.9 kind of guy. lol

All kidding aside, I do it all of the time to stay current.

Well, I was going to jump into the old Mystery Machine with Shag and Scoob and solve this problem but you've saved me a trip. I would have been seraching a long time as I had you pegged as more of a 9.9 kind of guy. lol

All kidding aside, I do it all of the time to stay current.

Well, you find me a 9.9 MD, and I will buy it! haha