• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manifest Destiny - Skybound - Chris Dingess, Matthew Roberts
1 1

2,663 posts in this topic

I think we all take a stance early on about new books that come out. It makes perfect sense to me that if you bought a book and liked it that you might invest in it. I tend to believe if you thought it was well above average, you would buy more thinking that other like minded people would also like it once they read it.

On the other hand, if you didn't order it or especially if you read it and didn't like it, you might be surprised that other people do and are even more surprised that people are willing to pay extra to own it.

It is no fun being on the wrong end of the prediction no matter which camp you fall in but it happens to everybody some of the time. 2c

Maybe I'm the odd case here: I have a stack of #1s, and I'm loving the spike in price, but I don't think the book is very good lol

I think we all take a stance early on about new books that come out. It makes perfect sense to me that if you bought a book and liked it that you might invest in it. I tend to believe if you thought it was well above average, you would buy more thinking that other like minded people would also like it once they read it.

On the other hand, if you didn't order it or especially if you read it and didn't like it, you might be surprised that other people do and are even more surprised that people are willing to pay extra to own it.

It is no fun being on the wrong end of the prediction no matter which camp you fall in but it happens to everybody some of the time. 2c

Maybe I'm the odd case here: I have a stack of #1s, and I'm loving the spike in price, but I don't think the book is very good lol

No, the same thing happened to me with Pretty Deadly ( I pre-ordered some )although I don't think I was very vocal about my thoughts in hopes that someone else might like it and I could sell them. It turns out that by issue #4, I actually grew to like the book.

I'll trade. I like the book, but only have one copy of #1 :shy:

You keep saying you have a stack of #1s and now we see raw prices hitting $20 plus and you're in the camp of this book not being good... Why exactly are you holding onto your 'stack' then if you think this is purely speculation driving this book?

hm

No, the same thing happened to me with Pretty Deadly ( I pre-ordered some )although I don't think I was very vocal about my thoughts in hopes that someone else might like it and I could sell them. It turns out that by issue #4, I actually grew to like the book.

I did as well with PD and never once pumped the book.. I have shared some news about the book behind the scenes with people, but never openly.

You keep saying you have a stack of #1s and now we see raw prices hitting $20 plus and you're in the camp of this book not being good... Why exactly are you holding onto your 'stack' then if you think this is purely speculation driving this book?

hm

I don't recall ever saying speculation is a bad thing. I'm along for the ride like the rest of you, my comments have all been about WHY the book is suddenly hot...has nothing to do with when I choose to sell.

I have a hard time investing in stuff I don't like to read. Rarely turns out well.

Same here.. I generally don't pre-order unless I REALLY like the solicits or a no-brainer... I normally have to read the book first before I decide to invest in it. How it happened with MD.

I decided to throw a BIN up of issue 1, both the regular and Ottley cover this afternoon. Set it at $69.95 and it sold within 3 hours of listing. Woot! En Fuego indeed!!

Edited by cbalroman

Your point?

I think the price hike is fueled by speculation. CBT has been talking about possible shilling. Different subjects.

My point was that my response was to your speculation comment, not to CBT's shilling conspiracy FACT.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&rt=nc&item=171227910896

That's a shilled auction whether you like it or not

It may be a shilled auction. It definitely has some tell-tale markings. But that is over a month old. That is also not the auction we were talking about and that you called out a couple days ago. Finally, the "shill" increased the final price to $355 -- that is only $5 over what appears to be a legit bidder. All of this over $5?

I'm pretty sure one can find a shilled auction for nearly every item available on eBay. It's not a transparent system and will therefore attract people that take advantage of the situation.

I'm saying not everything that sells above your pre-conceived notion of a "good" price is fake. I don't know the correct % between fake and real -- and I don't think we ever will.

As to full disclosure: I made my first and only (so far) DCBS pre-order purchase for 25 copies of this book. I made that purchase because it wasn't a large investment and the story sounded good -- I like historic fiction and covers the expansion of America. I sold enough copies at $5 each to make up for my initial investment and then a couple bucks on top of that. Hardly a cash cow. I now have a few copies left of #1 and 2 runs of 1-4.

Yes, I would like to see the prices go up so I can make more money off of the few copies I have. Who wouldn't? Do prices for LBCC 9.8 variants impact me? No.

As to the story: I wanted it to be good; perhaps I built it up too much. Perhaps it's way too early to say anything. I would have liked more of a slow-burn reveal into the strange creatures, but I'm not the writer.

sigh, its the auction that started the price movement, i didnt say it was the one we were just arguing about. Go pack 10 pages you can find my full breakdown on both.

It's sad really, because I honestly believe that even pointing out the suspicious activity helps the shill'ers out. The attention paid to the debate just gets that many more people "buying a copy or two, just in case".

I have given my thoughts, I have no bias, I have received several very kind PMs on the subject. I am not going to beat a dead horse, there is enough information in this thread for even newer people to the hobby to make educated decisions. To each their own.

But don't doubt, the next time someone posts a shady looking auction, I'm still going to call a pig a pig ;)

Sigh all you want. The auction increased $5 over another person's legit bid because of alleged shilling.

It did not start a price movement; it's a buyer wanting an item and probably over-paying for it.

This auction ended Feb 2nd. An auction ended 2 weeks later for $232 ( Feb 17th) and a BIN set at $350 did not sell either ( Feb 18th ). If this auction started a revolution, why was the second auction $100 less?

2 more copies have come up since then and both had high BINs ($450 and $448) and didn't sell. Seems to me that buyers are actually smarter on this item than others in that they are not paying over that $350 auction price. (Though you will probably attribute that to your patented Shill Warning System.)

There is another one currently at $305: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MANIFEST-DESTINY-1-CGC-9-8-LBCC-Sketch-Variant-LONG-BEACH-ONLY-250-1210657003-/281276161539?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item417d5d9e03

Is this one being shilled?

I also think that the sales of the LBCC are helping drive the regular and ottley #1 issues. Without $300+ sales then people probably wouldn't be looking to buy the regular covers for $25 each. Of course this is only my opinion as I'm holding onto my copies until I get Ottley to sign some.

Edited by John91C

There is another one currently at $305: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MANIFEST-DESTINY-1-CGC-9-8-LBCC-Sketch-Variant-LONG-BEACH-ONLY-250-1210657003-/281276161539?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item417d5d9e03

Is this one being shilled?

I also think that the sales of the LBCC are helping drive the regular and ottley #1 issues. Without $300+ sales then people probably wouldn't be looking to buy the regular covers for $25 each. Of course this is only my opinion as I'm holding onto my copies until I get Ottley to sign some.

It doesn't hurt that the Ottley cover kicks , I snagged a bunch of those too. :headbang: