• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Criteria for becoming an Overstreet Advisor?

47 posts in this topic

There have been other threads positing the same statement.

Unfortunately the two are inextricably connected: advisors and large comic dealers.

I don't believe that all the advisors have paid their way, but I am not naive enough to believe that at least one hasn't. Pay to play membership is common in many other forums and not illegal in comic collecting.

Why the question bronzejonny? Do you want to be an advisor?

I think the advisors spend alot of money for ads in the guide.

So , just like everything nowadays you dont get it by merit, but by Buying your way into it .

This is false.

I am an OS Advisor -- I've never bought an ad. Neither has Dave Matteini -- or Peter Bilelis. There are plenty of guys who no longer advertise at all in the guide, who have remained advisors. Many of the recent advisors are collectors.

So , just like everything nowadays you dont get it by merit, but by Buying your way into it .

This is false.

I am an OS Advisor -- I've never bought an ad. Neither has Dave Matteini -- or Peter Bilelis. There are plenty of guys who no longer advertise at all in the guide, who have remained advisors. Many of the recent advisors are collectors.

I like Dave, and wish he would post here , but his appointment was more based on who he was friendly with than anything else. Wouldn't you agree that there ere hundreds of people just as qualified as Dave when he was selected.

I do agree that you do not have to buy your way in, although that does seem to help open the doors for some people.

This is false.

I've never bought an ad either

I am more interested in becoming or having one of my friends become a CGC SS witness here in NY. To me that is more important.

Not personally interested in becoming one at this time. I know some advisors and think they're great. And I've done business and regularly converse with boardies here who are fantastic and wonderful people. There are boardies (including some friends of mine here) who would make great Overstreet Advisors.

I was wondering whether we should have "CGC Board Advisors?"

This is false.

I haven't advertised in The Guide since 1997.

I was nominated to be an advisor by Gary Carter and Michael Naiman. Matt Nelson was as well at the same time. The first Guide we advised on pricing and wrote market reports for was #25.

If I recall correctly, I nominated The Gator, but I think he was also nominated by MrBedrock. Last year I nominated Red Fury, and he is in this years' Guide.

Criteria is fairly simple. Have knowledge about comics history, market, and trends + plus a point of view you can articulate, and you have a shot at being included. Having someone nominate you can also increase your chances of approval.

Couple of questions that come to mind for Advisors:

Is there a cap to the number of advisors? Or is a "million man march" sort of thing?

Do you get a secret decoder ring when you join?

Do you have code names?

Is there a special clubhouse that only you have access to?

Is the secret password "banana hammock?"

Not true. Foolkiller (Brian) responded to this false assertion in the past, and I just looked through my copy last night for the first time, but I don't recall seeing Brian having an ad and he's been an advisor for quite some time. The same goes for me, although to be honest, I seem to be better at helping others design ads for the guide rather than producing one for myself (shoemaker with no shoes) :shy:

This is false.

There you go (sorry didn't not read that far into the thread to see you guys responding) (thumbs u

This is false.

I like Dave, and wish he would post here , but his appointment was more based on who he was friendly with than anything else. Wouldn't you agree that there ere hundreds of people just as qualified as Dave when he was selected.

I do agree that you do not have to buy your way in, although that does seem to help open the doors for some people.

That reminds me, is Carl De La Cruz still listed as an Overstreet Advisor?

Criteria is fairly simple. Have knowledge about comics history, market, and trends + plus a point of view you can articulate, and you have a shot at being included. Having someone nominate you can also increase your chances of approval.

I think you have the most accurate answer. One of my friends was/is(?) an adviser.

I think you get offered a Leatherbound copy if you are an adviser. Not sure, but my friend had some.

Other than that, being an adviser doesn't necessarily mean they listen to anything that you say. Advisers point out errors that never get fixed.

DG

Advisers point out errors that never get fixed.

DG

This isn't surprising. I know of a couple of errors that have been in the guide for as long as I can remember.

I also believe knowledge of the economic side of the hobby is probably the most important thing. This book is a "price guide" first and foremost.

I think you have the most accurate answer. One of my friends was/is(?) an adviser.

I think you get offered a Leatherbound copy if you are an adviser. Not sure, but my friend had some.

Other than that, being an adviser doesn't necessarily mean they listen to anything that you say. Advisers point out errors that never get fixed.

DG

First rule of being an advisor. Don't talk about being an advisor. :P

Actually Gemstone no longer produces leather bound editions and they haven't in years. Secondly, advisors don't have to buy ads in the guide. I haven't in years. In regards to submitting data I did so prior to working for Gemstone Publishing and have continued to do so as of the latest edition of the Guide. Do they use all the data supplied? I can say that things get over looked at times. I've submitted data that has never been included. Overall, they do a decent job of trying to keep on top of what has become a 24/7 market. An online functional website would remedy some of this. I'd suggest contacting JC Vaughn with your thoughts and input for the Guide.