• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron - Seriously

2,574 posts in this topic

I thought Black Widow was excruciatingly embarrassing but I wouldn't have said it was misogynistic,even though my wife felt the need to sheeeeesh loudly whenever Whedon decided to have the cam linger on her bum and cleavage (there were certainly a fair few times) it was just craptacular and poorly thought out, but then the demographic is teenage boys so yea, deal I guess.

Did we all see the kerfluffle about Joss quitting Twitter over the ridiculous claims of misogyny over his handling of Black Widow in this movie? Militant insufficiently_thoughtful_persons are always looking for something to get offended by. And if they don't get it, they'll spin what they do have into something that they feel offended by.

That`s the future. Good luck to them with 17 trillion + debt! In a few years when they are older and have to worry about the bills they will have to pay.They won`t have time to be offended about being offended!

I will be offended though that they didn`t come up with a better plan to make more cash flow!

lol

"The extreme passion of comic book fans specifically was familiar ground for Whedon well before Twitter even existed, when he first started writing for Marvel Comics in the 2000s and got some advice from veteran comic writer Brian Michael Bendis. “He said, ‘You’re going to meet a new kind of person,’” Whedon said. “His example was he had a letter somebody had written that just said, ‘In panel one, page 17, Daredevil would never say that, die die why can’t you just die?’ …

I haven’t dealt with a lot of that, because my fans have always been sweet, erudite, interesting, compassionate people. Like, I don’t know any Buffy trolls. So the steady stream of just like, ‘You suck, you suck, you suck’ [on Twitter] — I don’t really think I need to visit You Suck Land anymore.”

I think it was also signaled by Vision's mention of being a lover of Life. It sets him up in both the Warlock role & hints at his opposition to Thanos & his worship of Death.

I loved Vision, but I'm going to be really disappointed if we don't get to see Warlock. I feel the same way about Warlock + Thanos as many seemed to feel about Civil War with no Spider-man.

I think some people are making the leap that Vision has the soul gem and concluding there will be no need for Adam Warlock. Vision should have a solar gem with an outside shot at it being the reality gem in a creative re-write.

The soul gem is green.

As the previous quote mentions, I think Warlock is integral to the storyline and I will also be disappointed if they attempt to write him out.

The main question that would need to be answered here then is "what is adding Warlock to the IG story going to add over Vision?" If they've positioned Vision to represent the same role that Warlock held in that story, then what use is going to come from introducing a substantially identical (from a plot standpoint) character? It would seem redundant or confuse the average moviegoer who hasn't read the comics. Movies streamline books/stories all the time, and combine characters. This would be nothing new.

Warlock could only be used in a very superficial way at this point because Starlin's stories are fairly complex and would require a lot of exposition, which would slow the pacing of a film down considerably.

I believe Thor said in the movie that Vision had the Mind Gem.

The Soul Gem is still out there, and I believe it will turn up in Guardians 2.

Vision has the Mind Gem from Loki's staff

Did we all see the kerfluffle about Joss quitting Twitter over the ridiculous claims of misogyny over his handling of Black Widow in this movie? Militant insufficiently_thoughtful_persons are always looking for something to get offended by. And if they don't get it, they'll spin what they do have into something that they feel offended by.

Oh brother.

It's a 'SLANTED' web site, and if read very carefully states: "While Whedon himself hasn’t said why he deleted his account with over 1 million followers, it likely..."

Come on. Is everyone that gullible to propaganda? it's not even good propaganda. It's fluff propaganda.

Jiminy Freakin' Christmas.

Vision definitely has the mind gem, that is made very clear. The soul gem is still outstanding.

My worry mainly comes from the fact that Vision's origin in the movie is very much like Warlocks - created to be "better" than humanity, created by a bad guy for his own ends, he turns on his creator and kills him due to ideological differences, he fights 'for life', I believe he is even referred to as a 'savior' at least one time in the movie and we all know Warlock has a messiah complex.

And of course, he now has an infinity gem on his forehead.

Oh brother.

It's a 'SLANTED' web site, and if read very carefully states: "While Whedon himself hasn’t said why he deleted his account with over 1 million followers, it likely..."

Come on. Is everyone that gullible to propaganda? it's not even good propaganda. It's fluff propaganda.

Jiminy Freakin' Christmas.

See my post above.

Warlock could only be used in a very superficial way at this point because Starlin's stories are fairly complex and would require a lot of exposition, which would slow the pacing of a film down considerably.

True, but maybe it was the fanboy in Wheedon coming out and he thought how it would've been cool to tease those characters in the movie with just a brief appearance, such like Thanos' first appearance in the movies.

I thought a great second cut scene for Avengers 2 would've been:

All of the Avengers back at the Shawarma place eating, the exact camera angle as at the end of the first movie, only this time we slowly see Spider-man lowering himself down into view (from behind) as the Avengers, in quiet surprise, look up at him (toward the camera).. cut to black.

The takeaway from "Joss quits Twitter" is the same post-explanation as pre-explanation: don't be horrible to people online.

Yeah, there's a sports writer who I follow on Twitter, and he's not very well liked... in fact he's pretty much hated... and man oh man... the comments are just ugly, all day, all night.... people are messed up.

Supposedly twitter is creating some kind of filter, if people want to use it, to eliminate some of those posts.

True, but maybe it was the fanboy in Wheedon coming out and he thought how it would've been cool to tease those characters in the movie with just a brief appearance, such like Thanos' first appearance in the movies.

I thought a great second cut scene for Avengers 2 would've been:

All of the Avengers back at the Shawarma place eating, the exact camera angle as at the end of the first movie, only this time we slowly see Spider-man lowering himself down into view (from behind) as the Avengers, in quiet surprise, look up at him (toward the camera).. cut to black.

Now that would have been a bigger cut scene for me then the one that was in the film!

when I spoke to him after he saw this one he compared it to Ironman 3 as they were just fighting a load of robots... Again.

That is my biggest complaint with this movie. I am so tired of the huge battle with robots we seem to get once or twice a year from Hollywood.

I also think the comic book Ultron looks much scarier than what we got on screen. The mouth could have been awesome with a red glow deep inside that modulated to the voice. Instead we got a more or less human mouth on a robot!

Overall, a decent movie, but please, let's not have any more massive heroes versus robots in any more Marvel movies for a while.

I felt that the robots in AoU made sense with the story where the ones in IM 3 did not.