• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Love Sam Kieth.

43 posts in this topic

Yup

Something I have seen on other Sam Kieth art is that, like the honey badger, he don't give a ....

He knows what part will be published as art, but he just adds on bits of paper and keeps drawing where he wants to! See the paper on the left hand side with little extensions of the (whatever it is) lines.

Seen others with much more paper attached and the art just continues, he can't be contained!

Here's the thing I noticed with Sam Keith. His art looks 100 times better inked in black and white, or when the backgrounds are shades with very little colours used in the composition. The only reasoning I can come up with is that the colours appear to diminish the detailing and shading in his work. The other possibility is that the inking probably wasn't up to par.

There are some Wolvie covers from his work on MCP that look ok, but if you find the original art for the cover, it just looks so much better. This isn't my favourite, but one I could quickly find using Google image search:

wolvie.jpg

olFQ7lV.jpg

On the minimal colour use (combined with use of blacks) on white background, here's one that probably would look better coloured (especially on the contrast between the ground and his claws digging into it):

CJ6Sy.jpg

This looks so much better in black and white:

tumblr_lhhpkaTkdF1qa3cv3o1_500.jpg

Than inked:

mcp85off.jpg

On this piece, the colouring flattens a lot of the shading and gradients. On the black and white version, the detailing is what gives it depth and a surreal appearance that jumps out at you. 2c

Here's the thing I noticed with Sam Keith. His art looks 100 times better inked in black and white, or when the backgrounds are shades with very little colours used in the composition. The only reasoning I can come up with is that the colours appear to diminish the detailing and shading in his work. The other possibility is that the inking probably wasn't up to par.

There are some Wolvie covers from his work on MCP that look ok, but if you find the original art for the cover, it just looks so much better. This isn't my favourite, but one I could quickly find using Google image search:

wolvie.jpg

olFQ7lV.jpg

Heavy-handed coloring is a crime!! rantrant

wolvie.jpg

olFQ7lV.jpg

Heavy-handed coloring is a crime!! rantrant

Some inkers and colourists kill very cool artwork - prime example :sorry:

He does amazing stuff, a lot of art looks better in the original than when it hits the comic, a lot of detail gets lost. Of course the art is always bigger than the comic, so it gets shrunk down.

Awesome images