• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page Colors

3 posts in this topic

Hello, and thanks to those who respond! :applause:

My issue is page color.

The chart I use, copy attached, does not list the variations I sometimes see, like 'cream'.

What is 'cream', and what number is it? (shrug)

Also, how do I take Off-White" and separate into 8-9, or ""Tan" into 5-7? hm

And what do we call 8,9,5,6,and 7 etc? :juggle:

Thanks again :applause:

James

OwlCardfromEbay_zpsb5f6eb82.jpg

What follows is just opinion and a lot of it is terribly simplified and self-evident but it is an approach.

The OWL card is really far too difficult to use easily.

It displays the lowest acceptable colour for each category.

The chart colour for off-white is cream and the lowest range displayed for white is actually pretty white.

Putting to one side anything that is cream, find a book where the whites of the word balloons are clearly and evidently white. Compare the white of the word balloons to the white of the page edges. If they match, it's white. If the edges are a bit less white then it's OWW. Colour assignment should work from the edges inwards.

As white pages are less farther along the scale towards paper decay, a book with white pages will probably also look brighter -- colour and inks.

Identify a couple of books this way and you can use them as models. Holding the pages of one book to another does allow you to more confidently categorize your books.

Be sure to use a consistent incandescent light source. Regular florescent light has an incomplete spectrum and things tend to look a bit less red and grayer.

And, cream coloured paper is yellowish brownish. You're not looking for soft yellow tones.

What follows is just opinion and a lot of it is terribly simplified and self-evident but it is an approach.

The OWL card is really far too difficult to use easily.

It displays the lowest acceptable colour for each category.

The chart colour for off-white is cream and the lowest range displayed for white is actually pretty white.

Putting to one side anything that is cream, find a book where the whites of the word balloons are clearly and evidently white. Compare the white of the word balloons to the white of the page edges. If they match, it's white. If the edges are a bit less white then it's OWW. Colour assignment should work from the edges inwards.

As white pages are less farther along the scale towards paper decay, a book with white pages will probably also look brighter -- colour and inks.

Identify a couple of books this way and you can use them as models. Holding the pages of one book to another does allow you to more confidently categorize your books.

Be sure to use a consistent incandescent light source. Regular florescent light has an incomplete spectrum and things tend to look a bit less red and grayer.

And, cream coloured paper is yellowish brownish. You're not looking for soft yellow tones.

That's probably one of the most useful descriptions I've ever heard for determining PQ.