• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM ALL-AMERICAN COMICS #76

25 posts in this topic

welcome to the community Joe. I'd give this book a 7.0 mainly for the discolored back and small spine split. very nice eye appeal for that grade especially on books from this time.

A little hard to tell with the angled shots. I'd like to see a straight scan of that back cover to get a better look at the top edge and the outside corner.

6.5/7.0

Going

>down...:)

I'd like to buy all your Fines! :)

Spine split is what takes it down for me. In my book, anything with a 1/4' or larger tear (particularly on the spine) doesn't make it above 6.0. Could grade it a 5.5, but the colors are so vibrant I bumped it up a half grade.

I could see it getting a 6.5-7.0 if you drew an altruistic grading group.

Going

Spine split is what takes it down for me. In my book, anything with a 1/4' or larger tear (particularly on the spine) doesn't make it above 6.0. Could grade it a 5.5, but the colors are so vibrant I bumped it up a half grade.

To bad your book is not the official standard on grading comics.

The altruistic grading group called CGC, would probably give it 6.5-7.0.

Going

Right and since the CGC publishes a book on their "official grading standards" it is easy to say that right?

Save the drama fo yo mama.

1/3", at most, tear..however this book certainly has some qualities of a 7.0 (maybe better;)....and far less wear or defects, or color breaks as a 6.0 so hard for me to see as less than a 6.0.

I believe a book should be graded by its entirety... my feeling is a 6.5

which would seem to be the overall consensus so far.

Thanks...do appreciate your input.

Going

Right and since the CGC publishes a book on their "official grading standards" it is easy to say that right?

Save the drama for yo' mama.

That's a nice adult comeback, since you have the problem grading to the ways of CGC. Enter in the next grading contest on the boards and see how close your book gets you to the way CGC grades books.(By the way was it not you who screwed up before and said CGC had written standards)

Going

That's a nice adult comeback, since you have the problem grading to the ways of CGC. Enter in the next grading contest on the boards and see how close your book gets you to the way CGC grades books.(By the way was it not you who screwed up before and said CGC had written standards)

(shrug)

Not sure I see a point in there. I do see a little bit of an attack against what was clearly a joke. My grade guess was 0.5 lower than the average, not exactly a crime against nature here. Not to mention I wouldn't be the only person to say that the CGC can easily sway up or down a full 1.0 on any given day. Calling it "altruism" was again, a joke.

Will be happy to enter the grading contest, looks like fun.

Lighten up.

1/3", at most, tear..however this book certainly has some qualities of a 7.0 (maybe better;)....and far less wear or defects, or color breaks as a 6.0 so hard for me to see as less than a 6.0.

I believe a book should be graded by its entirety... my feeling is a 6.5

which would seem to be the overall consensus so far.

Thanks...do appreciate your input.

Are you submitting it or selling it on the boards?

Going

(shrug)

Not sure I see a point in there. I do see a little bit of an attack against what was clearly a joke. My grade guess was 0.5 lower than the average, not exactly a crime against nature here. Not to mention I wouldn't be the only person to say that the CGC can easily sway up or down a full 1.0 on any given day. Calling it "altruism" was again, a joke.

Lighten up.

If you haven't noticed you give the lowest grade on almost every book since you arrived and started grading in the PGM.

Use the search engine and look up Andy Greenham's contest this year or any of Nik's old grading contests and start practicing the correct way and learn. Instead of acting like you have a strict grading style and it's better than CGCs.

Nuff said!

Going

(shrug)

Lighten up.

If you haven't noticed you give the lowest grade on almost every book since you arrived and started grading in the PGM.

Use the search engine and look up Andy Greenham's contest this year or any of Nik's old grading contests and start practicing the correct way and learn. Instead of acting like you have a strict grading style and it's better than CGCs.

Nuff said!

That's just simply untrue.

My grading might be stricter than some (not all and not unreasonable), but there are dozens of examples where others agree. In this instance, 0.5 of a grade is not ridiculous.

Get off your high horse and join us on the ground. Things look differently when you are not looking down on everyone.

Hi All

Thanks again...I appreciate the debate. No hard feelings....I recognize that each collector has their way of interpreting grades.

I've been around a long time....but have just recently got back to collecting comics and trying to understand the CGC way of grading...

A long time I wrote an article on CBM on grading, pre CGC using a coin-like grading system although I never figured they'd actually encapsulate.

I personally like nice front covers even with some spine splitting....and even enjoy restoration copies, of bought at the "right" price. Some issues are completely out of reach for me.....although I once that pretty much everything...nice Action 1, Det. 27 etc....some may remember me for my "find" the Bethlehem collection.

These days I primarily collect dime novels and story papers and other early items, although I still have some of my pulp collection left.

I'll be back with some more items when I can find the time....grankids and collecting take up much of it. ;) Also working on a Guide Book for Dime novels :)

Happy hunting to all!

Joe Rainone

Going

I had a book with same defects as your. It was 6.0.