• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mutant 98 CGC 10 Gem Mint

72 posts in this topic

Steve Borock clarified a long time back the CGC standard for a 10.0 is not the best printed book ever created. It is the best example they have graded, which can have less than White Pages as well. Hence, the Wolverine 1 Limited Series CGC 10.0 with Off-White to White Pages.

Interesting, thanks for clarifying.

Frankly, as a collector I would find a 9.9 or even a 9.8 with nice White pages to be more aesthetically pleasing than a 10 OWW.

When people say "buy the book - not the label", I didn't get it at first. Then I received a few misgraded 9.8s and realized where they were going.

Better to buy something that matches your expectations if the book was raw. For me, I would be okay with a 10.0 that is OW/W if it presents sharply.

Steve Borock clarified a long time back the CGC standard for a 10.0 is not the best printed book ever created. It is the best example they have graded, which can have less than White Pages as well. Hence, the Wolverine 1 Limited Series CGC 10.0 with Off-White to White Pages.

Frankly, as a collector I would find a 9.9 or even a 9.8 with nice White pages to be more aesthetically pleasing than a 10 OWW.

When people say "buy the book - not the label", I didn't get it at first. Then I received a few misgraded 9.8s and realized where they were going.

Better to buy something that matches your expectations if the book was raw. For me, I would be okay with a 10.0 that is OW/W if it presents sharply.

I would certainly be OK with it, but there's no way I would even pay 9.9 money for a 10 with OWW pages. I guess everyone has their preference, and I'm a big fan of nice white pages. Unless it's Silver age or older, even slight coloring of the pages bothers me.

maybe he can hoard the other eight 9.9s and buy the 10.0 so if anyone was desperate enough for a 9.9 he'd be able to dictate the asking price.

That sounds like an experiment he may actually consider, with a supply and demand business case to validate the expense.

doh!

But if he was REALLY dedicated to his theory, he'd buy up all the 9.9's and destroy all but one. That would exponentially increase the value of the one that survived......

......theoretically.

This remind me of the first guy to buy a Nintendo wii back when it was super HOT and he smashed it in front of hundreds of customers lining up. I must've spent 5 minutes yelling at my monitor.

Why is that? You can't even see the pages inside a slab.

Or are you talking about the label?

Here's my analysis that led to my projection of $16k

There's a decent chance (if he can secure the backing) that the guy who paid $12.5k for his 9.9 will try to protect his investment by making sure the 10.0 exceeds the $12.5k he paid for his "lesser" 9.9

Have you seen the 9.9 prices? It is too late to protect his investment.

exactly.

That's about as close to an admission that a 10.0 is a 9.9 with a winning lottery ticket as you are going to get.

Why is that? You can't even see the pages inside a slab.

Or are you talking about the label?

I just think white pages are more aesthetically pleasing. And when I open a comic and the pages are yellowing, it immediately grabs my attention.

I know you can't open a slabbed comic anyway, but I go after my preferred taste regardless.

So wouldn't the first time they grade a particular book merit a 10 :baiting:

Yes I raised that point last time tens were discussed. It does not make sense.

Also if you say no it can't be the first book we need to reach some critical mass, lets say 1000 books, before we can award a ten. So you go through the motions and once you reach 1000 books graded you consider awarding 10s. Well, what if the best book you have seen was in the first 1000 books you graded? Do you have to call that book back and revise the grade upwards.

That idea of a ten is totally unworkable and can't be the way the system is actually run.

An interpretation of that quote which is not literal but does accord with common sense is that: 10s represent an exceptional state of preservation. That due to a multitude of factors this book's condition places it in the very upmost level of condition. And to reach this level true perfection is not necessary.

So wouldn't the first time they grade a particular book merit a 10 :baiting:

Yes I raised that point last time tens were discussed. It does not make sense.

Also if you say no it can't be the first book we need to reach some critical mass, lets say 1000 books, before we can award a ten. So you go through the motions and once you reach 1000 books graded you consider awarding 10s. Well, what if the best book you have seen was in the first 1000 books you graded? Do you have to call that book back and revise the grade upwards.

That idea of a ten is totally unworkable and can't be the way the system is actually run.

An interpretation of that quote which is not literal but does accord with common sense is that: 10s represent an exceptional state of preservation. That due to a multitude of factors this books condition places it in the very upmost level of condition. And to reach this level true perfection is not necessary.

Agreed. In my opinion a 10 should have absolutely no visible flaws to the naked eye. The cut and the binding should be perfectly centered (which is technically impossible, so again, to the naked eye). It should have razor sharp all four corners, and the pages should be snow white.

Basically, as perfect as it's realistically possible for a comic to be. The "best example" is essentially saying you're grading on a curve, which again is nonsense.

That said, I don't buy 9.9's or 10's, so I'm over it.

Agreed. In my opinion a 10 should have absolutely no visible flaws to the naked eye. The cut and the binding should be perfectly centered (which is technically impossible, so again, to the naked eye). It should have razor sharp all four corners, and the pages should be snow white.

Basically, as perfect as it's realistically possible for a comic to be. The "best example" is essentially saying you're grading on a curve, which again is nonsense.

That said, I don't buy 9.9's or 10's, so I'm over it.

I think most folks would agree with your expectations when it comes to the Mint/Minty-Mint grades. These should be the best of the best, with perfect centering, white pages, brightest colors and no flaws.

We've had some 9.9s pop up on here that when I saw obvious tiny flaws even from medium-sized scans, I was surprised. But since CGC doesn't publish a standard...

But just because its the best example, doesn't make it a 'mint' comic, which is what 9.9/10.0 books are supposed to signify, correct? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't page discoloration a defect?

But just because its the best example, doesn't make it a 'mint' comic, which is what 9.9/10.0 books are supposed to signify, correct? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't page discoloration a defect?

Agreed.

Here was one discussion that was interesting about an off-center 10.0 that caught some attention.

Comic of the day, off centered Gem Mint 10

So a topic that has been tossed around for a long while, with concerns about consistency and reliability.

AmazingSpiderMan_321_10.jpg

Agreed.

Here was one discussion that was interesting about an off-center 10.0 that caught some attention.

So a topic that has been tossed around for a long while, with concerns about consistency and reliability.

That'll never get a CVA sticker.

Agreed.

If they're grading purely on physical defects of the book, then it is probably a mint book. From an aesthetic standpoint, it is far from it.

Maybe they view books from an angle when grading? (shrug)