• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Closet Collectors?

52 posts in this topic

Another moment from my 5 year old......yesterday he secretly wore his spiderman costume to school under his uniform. He asks the teacher if he can go to the toilet, goes into the changeroom gets his mask from his bag and transforms himself into spider-man and charges back into the classroom ready to save the world. After another visit to the headmaster by my wife it is safe to assume that everybody knows my family is into comics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thumbsup2.gif

Another moment from my 5 year old......yesterday he secretly wore his spiderman costume to school under his uniform. He asks the teacher if he can go to the toilet, goes into the changeroom gets his mask from his bag and transforms himself into spider-man and charges back into the classroom ready to save the world. After another visit to the headmaster by my wife it is safe to assume that everybody knows my family is into comics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You got to love it. 27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

You got to love it. 27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Yep!

2 funny! takeit.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Please post a picture of your son!

I just tell people it's collecting a uniquely American art form. Then I tell them what I've sold some of the ones I didn't want for and their jaw drops.

While it bums me out that the few comic collector friends that I did know , have since relocated years ago.

But even just last night at a Cookout we hosted... in a conversation , someone mentioned that they could not wait to see SpiderMan 2.. as they were waiting for it to come out on DVD.. so everyone was talking about movies, and superhero movies ...and when I made a few statements that clearly labled me as a geek, comic book nerd type....( or how on earth would I know such things"... some one asked me..

"How did you know that about Spidermans Aunt May?"

So I said I love Spidey.. and have read the title since I was young, and while I dont collect him now.. I do collect other S.A., and B.A. comics.

Well as you can imagine, many people had a chuckle..."Comics.. you mean Comic books?"

But then my wifes Tech guy from work said.. I have the entire Spawn run.. is that worth anything?

And another guy said "I used to read Heavy Metal , does that count, I have a Heavy Metal #1 since I bought it at a drug store..?"

Then my wifes boss said.. "I used to LOVE Superman comics.. I had a boat load , before I moved out to college.. I wish I had them. now.. I never knew what my mom did with all of those.."(I know , typical story)

And for the next hour the entire converstaion amongst 12 adults was comic related.. and then others chimed in..

"I collect cows.. I love cows"... and I said.." same thing.. if you love it, who is to say your crazy"

Collect cows... good for you

Another said.. sheepishly.. "I still collect Beer Cans.. and paid a ton of money for a Full can of Billy Beer"

Anyhow.. you can see my point.. I think everyone has had a brush with comics at one point or another... and most everyone collects something.

So as was said earlier in this thread. you dont have to wear a Wheels in Motion Shirt.. to be a proud collector..and while most people do not understand the business side of comics like we might..

Being a collector is a gift. to be able truley relish, and savor something, is what it is all about in life..

I for one love the fact that I dig comics..and while all of my comics are indeed in a closet.. I will gladly show them to anyone that asks.. gossip.gif

(just dont tell me wife how much I paid for that 9.0 S.S. #4)

Ze-

For me there was an age when comic collecting went "in the closet", and later an age when it was ok to come back "out" again. As a kid up into my early teens, I bought, sold, and traded (mostly traded) moderns and bronze constantly. By the time I was 14 or 15, I was making enough to afford one of those regular permanent booths at the local indoor fleamarket. Not that one of those really costs that much, but my parents were impressed.

I remember one time my dad came home after a hard day's work at the restaurant and complained that he'd only taken in $200. I came home that afternoon from the flea market with $450. devil.gif

Late in high school and on into college, comics were no longer "cool." I could read them on my own time, but girls, music, and academics made sure there were no more flea market booths in my future.

Now I'm in my late 20s, and comics reared their head again a few years back. I openly talk about it to my friends. I think what makes it interesting for non-comic buffs is that I'm into pretty quirky GA stuff, so it kinda elevates comic-collecting away from the stereotype of the overweight spidey fanboy (god bless 'em). It's somehow more mysterious or arcane to the unititiated who take a peek at my comic collection. It's not just a bunch of tatty comics, but a legitimate window into a bygone American era. At least, that's the way I feel about it.

Actually, the Spider-Man and X-Men movies have helped out quite a bit. Before these good-great movies, many didn't really understand how complex and interesting the characters and stories can be. Most of my family/friends that are in the know, are very cool about my hobby. However, very few can imagine paying a couple hundred dollars for a nice book. The values shock them.

V/R,

Mike