• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My First Journal by deadleg6

1 post in this topic

This is the teaser.

So yeah, this is my Bio which nobody has probably read, but maybe one day. I've been collecting comics since I was a kid. I have my brother to thank for that. He use to read me comics when I was little, and he really helped to bring me into it.

Some where in 2008 I REALLY got serious about collecting. It was right after Red Hulk came out actually. That book blew my mind away at the time. The Red Hulk is still one of all time favorite characters. The book also got me into the Hulk in general and helped me to appreciate both characters.

Well, in August of 2010 something really tragic happened. We had a house fire one night during a thunderstorm. Thankfully, my family was alright, although my Dad got dazed from inhaling some smoke. Most of the back half of the house where the bedrooms are located where destroyed. My sisters room was a complete loss because the fire originated there. My room also received smoke and mostly water damage. Among my losses though, and probably my greatest loss was my collection. The books where mostly covered in water from the firefighters. I can't blame them though, they were just doing their jobs. The books that didn't get too wet where also damaged. My room had got so hot that the plastic on the bags had started to melt to the top of the book. I was so depressed. This collection that I had worked so hard on and loved with all my heart was destroyed. What was I to do? There was only one answer and that was to rebuild.

It didn't start right away though. I maybe picked up a few books here and there after the fire, but I wasn't serious enough to get back into it. It probably had something to do with the fact that I knew how much work it would take. That and also the fear of losing my collection again.

At the end of January 2012 I started my first job. A low paying gig at fast food restaurant with a of a manager. It was not fun. My friend helped get me the job and finding a job in this economy is tough enough. When I finally got my first pay check, my Mom took me to a credit union to open an account. While in line she asked what I was going to do with my first paycheck. This had been on my mind all day. I figured I would put $25 into a savings account and then spoil myself with the rest of the check because I finally has some money to spend. The rest of the check I planned on spending on comics...........

After that was wrapped up, I started digging through Ebay that weekend. What was I going to get? I started to remember books from my childhood that I had always wanted but hadn't the chance to own before. One book came to mind. The Incredible Hulk 181. I'm not talking about an original print. What I wanted was an a reprint, and to be more specific, a certain reprint. I wanted the Wizard Ace Edition. Back when I was a kid I remember when this book came out in Wizard Magazine. My LCS actually got a copy. I remember seeing it up on the wall for a hefty price(at that time) that my Mom couldn't afford. Anyways, when the search came back, there weren't many copies. However, I did see a CGC copy at a 9.8 for around $50 bucks. I thought: "Why not?" So I bought it. Come on. You can't argue with me on this one. That cover is complete tits.

See more journals by deadleg6