• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The umpire is calling strikes..................

5,775 posts in this topic

What is all the cool books stuff? I'm confused…

Tools sell cool books to mask said tooliness, then claim that they're reputation makes no difference to their "business".

It does make a difference when they start a sales thread and all you hear is crickets.

Yeah, "0 replies". :applause:

Then eventually, "Sold per PM" lol

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me it all if some of those books did sell via PM.

True, but I wait 2-3 months to go by without a complaint thread before I draw that conclusion.

Tools sell cool books to mask said tooliness, then claim that they're reputation makes no difference to their "business".

It does make a difference when they start a sales thread and all you hear is crickets.

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me it all if some of those books did sell via PM. People still want their cool books,but maybe they don't want to be outed as a person who has no issue dealing with a HoS'er.

FWIW, I have about 80% of my sales through PM, many with folks who have only a post or two on the board. Some folks just don't want people to know what they collect. I haven't had a single probie ever try to buy anything from me.

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me it all if some of those books did sell via PM. People still want their cool books,but maybe they don't want to be outed as a person who has no issue dealing with a HoS'er.

FWIW, I have about 80% of my sales through PM, many with folks who have only a post or two on the board. Some folks just don't want people to know what they collect. I haven't had a single probe ever try to buy anything from me.

I never understand that though… I sold a few books via PM last year to a low posts member who joined like 5 years ago. He refused to post in the thread. And he just bought some ASMs… It wasn't like he bought some dirty books or something.

FWIW, I have about 80% of my sales through PM, many with folks who have only a post or two on the board. Some folks just don't want people to know what they collect. I haven't had a single probie ever try to buy anything from me.

You dont have a reputation for creating a false market though, and no carnival barking/skewing of GPA data for your own benefit.

FWIW, I have about 80% of my sales through PM, many with folks who have only a post or two on the board. Some folks just don't want people to know what they collect. I haven't had a single probe ever try to buy anything from me.

I never understand that though… I sold a few books via PM last year to a low posts member who joined like 5 years ago. He refused to post in the thread. And he just bought some ASMs… It wasn't like he bought some dirty books or something.

I buy things via PM. And I may or may not want it known that I had bought said book.

Sounds just like here. (shrug)

There was a time....long since passed into the mists....when the eBay comics chatboard was all sparkly and new.

TimDrake72 was there.

So was Stupidman.

And Comicsgirl showed up.

And then there was Dubbl-T.

Gwentleaf made his way there.

And the Rabid Badger...

Before the CGC boards. Before CBR boards. Before CPG boards, Before STL. Before Valiantfans.

And.

It.

Was.

Magic.

:cloud9:

... and RCheli

Catrick339

JMG3637

fingfangfoom

skypinkblu

Catskillcomics

Yep, many of us migrated here from the eBay Comics Chat Board. (Which no longer exists, by the way.) It certainly was a fun place in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

:taptaptap:

I KNEW I WOULD FORGET SOMEONE! :eek:

Sorry, Andrew. :foryou:

hm

Must have been after my time.

Not meant to be exhaustive, of course. I keep forgetting the name of the couple from Australia who were so awesome.

That TimDrake72 guy was such an opinionated doosh. I sure hope he grew up a little bit in the intervening years.

:whistle:

other than the registry sets, what would be a reason to care about books being bought, associated with your forum name?

I would imagine among collectors who go after "rare to find books" having their interests out in the open might lead to some price inflation when books are offered by a seller who can sniff out the collectors interest.

same reason some people keep their sig lines bookless...

Its no different than buying a car. Are you going to advertise your immense interest in a sellers car and THEN try to negotiate a price? How strong a position would you be in to negotiate? Now if there are a ton of the car, sure, but if it was a hard to find one? (like some hard to find comics/GA/pedigrees?)

I used to be a moderator for the Ebay chat boards. I quit being a mod and quit visiting those chat forums a few years ago. When I found these boards.

But the trouble makers here are pretty much the same troublemakers that were there on Ebay.

It is a small world. Especially the comic book collecting world.

Do you mean to say you ran your own comics thread in the Ebay Group section? Because the chatboard Sky and RMA are talking about was the (now defunct) Ebay Live Comics Chat, which was not in the Group section. There were no "civilian" moderators on that board, so if one showed up, it was a "Pink", an employee of Ebay. Even the current Comics Threaded board doesn't have any moderators. What was your Ebay ID, or were you actually an Ebay Pink? lol

In fact, back then, Ebay was so cool, when they learned a group of us from that board were meeting in San Diego in 2000, they had the Pink in charge of comics (Shira) shower us with gifts! At SD we got a swag bag of Ebay stuff (including the Ebay comic, Ebay hat, shirt, etc) and at the party we had at a billiards parlor we got free beer and food from Ebay.

And that was the night I met Steve Borock... :ohnoez:

I really should have gone, but you all were too weird.

:insane:

I haven't thought of "ebay Pink" in probably over a decade.

Man. From March or so of 1999 (it began), to about summer of 2001...that was the sweet spot.

Not meant to be exhaustive, of course. I keep forgetting the name of the couple from Australia who were so awesome.

That was Kimball (Kim Miles) and his wife Caerwyn (Lee-Ann Miles).

Yes!

Seeing those names brings it all back.

I would imagine among collectors who go after "rare to find books" having their interests out in the open might lead to some price inflation when books are offered by a seller who can sniff out the collectors interest.

Its no different than buying a car. Are you going to advertise your immense interest in a sellers car and THEN try to negotiate a price? How strong a position would you be in to negotiate? Now if there are a ton of the car, sure, but if it was a hard to find one? (like some hard to find comics/GA/pedigrees?)

That's interesting, I suppose in the shallow pools people would notice. It would be unfortunate if a seller who would try those tactics was also the holder of books you need.

But if the book sells, even by PM, while the person may not know who bought it, they would still know the interest. I can definitely see keeping prices of sales private, to prevent run up in a low liquidity market. But unless a seller has a vendetta, i would think WHO shouldnt factor in to it.

All this shunning stuff and cool books stuff can be a bit JHS and it can rope perfectly innocent bystanders in by accident.

I really believe it's important to have a community feel here.

I also believe that we don't all have to see things the exact same way...and thank goodness, because there are a lot of Marvel lovers here and I'd hate to be shunned as a DC collector;)

No, it's not "JHS" at all. It's what adults do when they encounter people with whom they have a problem: they do not engage them. It's the mature, reasonable, grown-up thing to do.

No one said anything about being shunned by "Marvel lovers because they are DC collectors." That IS Junior high school, and not anything that anyone is talking about.

That's just you trying to diminish that with which you do not agree by subtly mocking it.

That's interesting, I suppose in the shallow pools people would notice. It would be unfortunate if a seller who would try those tactics was also the holder of books you need.

But if the book sells, even by PM, while the person may not know who bought it, they would still know the interest. I can definitely see keeping prices of sales private, to prevent run up in a low liquidity market. But unless a seller has a vendetta, i would think WHO shouldnt factor in to it.

I think some folks are afraid of theft. Others I liken to the Gollum Effect.

I think some folks are afraid of theft. Others I liken to the Gollum Effect.

Most importantly, it's really nobody's business unless the buyer wants to share. :D

Most importantly, it's really nobody's business unless the buyer wants to share. :D

For sure, I absolutely think its there right to do so. I am personally very privacy oriented, but on a site where people dont actually know you or your name, just trying to see what reasons they might have for it.

No offense, but you all are dating yourself putting JHS

I once dated myself.

It was the worst three months of my life.

Talk about high maintenance relationships.

dangerfield-rodney2.jpg