• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The label on 9.9 and 10 books

154 posts in this topic

Here's a 9.8 that shouldn't be based on the bottom left corner. And yes, it was like that when it was subbed.

CaptainAmerica4.jpg

If that bottom left corner is the only defect on the book, there's no reason why it couldn't be a (soft) 9.8.

Wait a minute!!!

your telling me that there is a SOFT and a HARD 9.8????

what is that? Like a 9.84 versus a 9.85 ??????

Totally, I have a book that is absolutely flawless a 10, other than a spine tick, so it's a 9.8. In my opinion a soft 9.8.

Saturation is a problem, but only a temporary one. Of whatever issue you pick, there are only x amount available, and that number drops every year, as they are damaged, destroyed, or just somehow rendered uncollectible due to condition. And every year, there are more buyers. At one point, Walking Dead 1 had saturated the market. Only 8,000 people wanted one. Things change.

Wolverine Die cuts, Alpha Flight 1, Valiant 0 issues, The Death of Superman etc etc

and I will keep my copies of all these-- I will definitely someday sell them for more than the cover price I paid, maybe a lot more. In real estate, it is location location location. In comic books, it is condition condition condition.

And I ain't mad at any of you either. I do think our little group is a little harsh sometimes, and while most of us can get over it, I can't help but think we chase someone away every once in a while, and that should not happen.

I disagree with this notion. After the 80s comic collecting changed drastically. When people saw that you could make money off comics, everyone and their mom started buying them in bulk. Then everyone started putting them in plastic bags with cardboard.Gone was the day when kids would buy comics, fold them up, and put them in their back pocket.

One summer I worked for my LCS, he was buying up bulk collections. I literally was counting out hundreds of copies of one book that somebody had purchased at some point in the late 80s/early 90s.

So yes there is a chance that some stuff will be worth money, but I really don't think a book like Osborn is going to be worth a ton down the road.

good point Chris! most of 80s-90s is worthless junk and in 20 more years it will still be the same price...

I laugh when I see slabbed books on Ebay for under $50....

its costs like $50 with slabbing and shipping all together.

You have paid CGC to enshrine a t-u-r-d,,, :whatev:

You mean like someone CGC'ing a 4.5 copy of Superman #233? Yeah, that does seem silly.

Saturation is a problem, but only a temporary one. Of whatever issue you pick, there are only x amount available, and that number drops every year, as they are damaged, destroyed, or just somehow rendered uncollectible due to condition. And every year, there are more buyers. At one point, Walking Dead 1 had saturated the market. Only 8,000 people wanted one. Things change.

Wolverine Die cuts, Alpha Flight 1, Valiant 0 issues, The Death of Superman etc etc

and I will keep my copies of all these-- I will definitely someday sell them for more than the cover price I paid, maybe a lot more. In real estate, it is location location location. In comic books, it is condition condition condition.

And I ain't mad at any of you either. I do think our little group is a little harsh sometimes, and while most of us can get over it, I can't help but think we chase someone away every once in a while, and that should not happen.

I disagree with this notion. After the 80s comic collecting changed drastically. When people saw that you could make money off comics, everyone and their mom started buying them in bulk. Then everyone started putting them in plastic bags with cardboard.Gone was the day when kids would buy comics, fold them up, and put them in their back pocket.

One summer I worked for my LCS, he was buying up bulk collections. I literally was counting out hundreds of copies of one book that somebody had purchased at some point in the late 80s/early 90s.

So yes there is a chance that some stuff will be worth money, but I really don't think a book like Osborn is going to be worth a ton down the road.

good point Chris! most of 80s-90s is worthless junk and in 20 more years it will still be the same price...

You mean like someone CGC'ing a 4.5 copy of Superman #233? Yeah, that does seem silly.

the 4.5 was my orginal copy as a kid...im not a 9.8 or slit my wrist kind of guy (thumbs u

how you like me now????

the 4.5 was my orginal copy as a kid...im not a 9.8 or slit my wrist kind of guy (thumbs u

how you like me now????

Not very much, to be honest.

People get books slabbed for a variety of reasons - to mock someone else for CGC'ing a book that's not worth the slabbing fee seems hypocritical when you've done the exact same thing yourself.

how you like me now????

People get books slabbed for a variety of reasons - to mock someone else for CGC'ing a book that's not worth the slabbing fee seems hypocritical when you've done the exact same thing yourself.

I didn't really think anyone was being mocked...

how you like me now????

thanks professor on the reasons why we slab

you not liking me and I dont even know who you are is crazy talk man! hm

its all good Im sure your a nice guy :makepoint:

how you like me now????

Yeah, no mocking at all :doh:

You have paid CGC to enshrine a t-u-r-d,,,

I'm in agreement with that. I had a shop in the 90's and everyone was buying comics to put them away with the idea that they would be thousandaires in 20 years. The market was over-saturated with books that people were taking pristine care of, unlike long ago.

When I worked in an art gallery in 90's - the artist Bev Doolittle was very popular. She came out with her print 'The Spirit Takes Flight' with a hilarious 50,000 "limited edition" print run. It sold for something like $250-$350 per print back then. Within 8 months, it was making it's way around in the classified ads because people were trying to sell it. The problem was that with 50,000 - everyone who wanted it, bought it - thereby killing the potential of any aftermarket value, let alone it's original value. What's it worth today? About 56 bucks. Why? Because there's freakin 50 thousand of them, and there probably isn't 50 people at any given time in the world that care about buying it.

The 90's just wasn't about ripping off comic collectors. The 90's took advantage of the fact that most people didn't understand that things made by the tens of thousands (or hundreds of thousands) were not "valuable" or "collectible". Look at what Disney did, brainwashing people to think that "limited release" video tapes would be valuable collectibles. I still know people who have this unbelievable notion that the limited release of Snow White on VHS is worth lots of money.

The point is, you have to look pretty hard to find valuable items from the 90s. They are out there, but it's not going to be a Wolverine #50. Not now, not 100 years from now, because the demand for it will never be more than how many of them are actually out there.

Dr. Ballz with a 'z' hm

hahaha sorry my bad i thought it was a Z i typed it on my phone

hahah i have probably 6 or 7 copies of that Wolverine #50 you mentioned...

my dad went crazy back in the early 90s thinking everthing was gonna rocket in value....

It was like a subscription and you just picked up your weekly orders and we were hoarding everthing released.

Limited Edtion this, Collectors Item that....

I ended up getting 10 copies of each cover of Jim Lee X-men#1 and now they are probably worth the same price as on the cover

I was way understating when earlier i said 100,000 copies of Spiderman#1, its was 2.3 MILLION copies

only the platinum and Walmart Editions hold any value

Or we could all agree to collect however we want to, for grade, for display purposes, for love of a character(s) or team, for love a writer or artist, keyness, rarity, thrill of the hunt, for resale value, to bragging rights, for a living, for a special theme, for any mixture of the above. If you can handle your bidness (bills, family, job) then get what you like with the $$ you can afford to spend, and enjoy it if that's your bag.

SO why is so tough to let Bill go into his room and just enjoy his 9.9/10 comics? He's not doggin other stuff (although his numbers may be skewed on bronze 9.8's), he's just stating his preference and collecting strategy. If he comes off as a bit of a grade-hunter, great! Its not hurting anyone. He's having fun, he's paying for the comics he gets, he's not claiming his way is the best to collect.

I get as much joy out of collecting modern sketch cover comics as I do from my one copy of SS #4, which is worth more than all them combined. They're cooler to display (to me), and I like seeing what the original artist drew.

Dr. Ballz with a 'z' hm

If you change the S to a Z then you'll be obligated to start taking smart phone photos of yourself making a sideways V with your fingers and pursing your lips.

how you like me now????

lol yeah, no mocking there.

Dr. Ballz with a 'z' hm

If you change the S to a Z then you'll be obligated to start taking smart phone photos of yourself making a sideways V with your fingers and pursing your lips.

:roflmao:

I have 25,000 books, and quite a few are below 9.8. But, I won't buy any book that is CGC'ed below 9.8. I won't submit anything that I think is below 9.8 (got an X-Files 1 back that was a 9.6 in my first and only batch of 4 that I have submitted). Anything from the 70's on is available in 9.8, and if I want it, I am willing to wait until it becomes available. As an example, watching for a Night Nurse 1 in 9.8 to become available.

You are "THE MAN!"

-slym

I have 25,000 books, and quite a few are below 9.8. But, I won't buy any book that is CGC'ed below 9.8. I won't submit anything that I think is below 9.8 (got an X-Files 1 back that was a 9.6 in my first and only batch of 4 that I have submitted). Anything from the 70's on is available in 9.8, and if I want it, I am willing to wait until it becomes available. As an example, watching for a Night Nurse 1 in 9.8 to become available.

A fellow Night Nurse fan! That particular book will be a good test of your patience. I've been watching those books at least 2-3 times a week for over two years, and even more rare than a high grade raw is a 9.8 book.

how you like me now????

lol yeah, no mocking there.

Sword fight!!!