• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The label on 9.9 and 10 books

154 posts in this topic

right on Bill! You are A-OK in my book (thumbs u

Show some of the 10.0 Love sometime I would really like to see a whole bunch of them together....

and again a big shout to MsSmidt for dogging my Superman #233 CGC 4.5

My dad bought it for me in 1982 and its symbolizes the son father bond we had now that he died from exposure to Agent orange in Vietnam serving our country :sorry:

Maybe if you hadn't "dogged" other books you deemed to be not worth the price to slab, he wouldn't have said anything about your Superman.

Sorry about your dad. :sorry:

Saturation is a problem, but only a temporary one. Of whatever issue you pick, there are only x amount available, and that number drops every year, as they are damaged, destroyed, or just somehow rendered uncollectible due to condition. And every year, there are more buyers. At one point, Walking Dead 1 had saturated the market. Only 8,000 people wanted one. Things change.

Wolverine Die cuts, Alpha Flight 1, Valiant 0 issues, The Death of Superman etc etc

and I will keep my copies of all these-- I will definitely someday sell them for more than the cover price I paid, maybe a lot more. In real estate, it is location location location. In comic books, it is condition condition condition.

And I ain't mad at any of you either. I do think our little group is a little harsh sometimes, and while most of us can get over it, I can't help but think we chase someone away every once in a while, and that should not happen.

I disagree with this notion. After the 80s comic collecting changed drastically. When people saw that you could make money off comics, everyone and their mom started buying them in bulk. Then everyone started putting them in plastic bags with cardboard.Gone was the day when kids would buy comics, fold them up, and put them in their back pocket.

One summer I worked for my LCS, he was buying up bulk collections. I literally was counting out hundreds of copies of one book that somebody had purchased at some point in the late 80s/early 90s.

So yes there is a chance that some stuff will be worth money, but I really don't think a book like Osborn is going to be worth a ton down the road.

good point Chris! most of 80s-90s is worthless junk and in 20 more years it will still be the same price...

I laugh when I see slabbed books on Ebay for under $50....

its costs like $50 with slabbing and shipping all together.

You have paid CGC to enshrine a t-u-r-d,,, :whatev:

You mean like someone CGC'ing a 4.5 copy of Superman #233? Yeah, that does seem silly.

the 4.5 was my orginal copy as a kid...im not a 9.8 or slit my wrist kind of guy (thumbs u

how you like me now????

Not very much, to be honest.

People get books slabbed for a variety of reasons - to mock someone else for CGC'ing a book that's not worth the slabbing fee seems hypocritical when you've done the exact same thing yourself.

I didn't really think anyone was being mocked...

Yeah, no mocking at all :doh:

I laugh when I see slabbed books on Ebay for under $50....

its costs like $50 with slabbing and shipping all together.

You have paid CGC to enshrine a t-u-r-d,,,

lol yeah, no mocking there.

Sword fight!!!

More like a out :P

I used to think that CGC 9.9 and 10 books were ultra cool, that's until recent months.

This is a 9.8... and yep, that's a tape pull on the bottom middle.

WarMachineHopgood.jpg

Nowadays; "I" determine what makes a nice book. If CGC call it a 9.2 or a 9.4, then it could not be, so if CGC call it a 9.9, then it might not be also... I collect what I deem pretty copies and worth slabbing.

I love that people enjoy collecting them and I totally get that it's not all about investment purposes.

I would take my chances with a 9.8 over a 9.4 if I was looking for the nicest one though!

level the playing field, what if the highest grade is only 6.5 or 7.0, or god forbid...NONE exist in the census....

then by your account, you just dont collect that book?????????

I'm still convinced there's no Hip Flask or Elephantmen comics in the census.

So, all you 'buy the book' guys just take whatever is on top at your LCS, not even looking to see if it is wrinkled, creased, or dented on the corners? You don't care what condition it is in?

You mean the new comics I get every week? I bend the cover back and read them on the porch while smoking a cigarette. No chit.

right on Bill! You are A-OK in my book (thumbs u

Show some of the 10.0 Love sometime I would really like to see a whole bunch of them together....

and again a big shout to MsSmidt for dogging my Superman #233 CGC 4.5

My dad bought it for me in 1982 and its symbolizes the son father bond we had now that he died from exposure to Agent orange in Vietnam serving our country :sorry:

Be that as it may, you still were being a hypocrite.

I used to think that CGC 9.9 and 10 books were ultra cool, that's until recent months.

WarMachineHopgood.jpg

That's messed up....

I don't get how something like that could be missed.

WarMachineHopgood.jpg

That's messed up....

I don't get how something like that could be missed.

The graders must have thought it was a "special effect" added to the artwork. lol

So, all you 'buy the book' guys just take whatever is on top at your LCS, not even looking to see if it is wrinkled, creased, or dented on the corners? You don't care what condition it is in?

Logic, thou hast found thy most worthy opponent!!

Is that the OA? or a recreation?

OA, i bought it in 1997

Then what's this?

link

hahahaha!!!!!! :makepoint::roflmao:

Sorry, I must have missed something here. Who got the original OA or there multicopies?

Either something got poofed, or there has been no further responses regarding this.

I too would like to know if we have wildly_fanciful_statement happening.

-slym

Is that the OA? or a recreation?

OA, i bought it in 1997

Then what's this?

link

hahahaha!!!!!! :makepoint::roflmao:

Sorry, I must have missed something here. Who got the original OA or there multicopies?

Either something got poofed, or there has been no further responses regarding this.

I too would like to know if we have wildly_fanciful_statement happening.

-slym

He thought he had the OA, but he didn't realize it was a reproduction. :tonofbricks: