• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nobody is "making" money on OA

9 posts in this topic

We're just spinning our wheels.

These charts look just like the one I'd draw of my collection's "climb" in value over the same period:

us-gas-prices.png

food-stamps.png

total-consumer-credit.png

Don't need to show you the charts for M1, M2, M3, national debt...pretty sure you guys are familiar with those :insane:

The government purposely caused the rise of SNAP aka Food Stamps. I know in NY state that around 6 years ago they eliminated the resource limit. Meaning only the interest being earned off resources such as bank accounts etc. we're counted against them. That caused a HUGE change in making people eligible. I forget what the resource limit had been I want to say something around 3 grand. I had people applying with 300 grand in banco accounts.

Yes that's true, there has been a political angle to SNAP since ca. 2008 :)

The consumer debt is probably the most concerning to me, in the sense that it's leverage that can't be easily walked away from in dire circumstances. BK rules have tightened up a lot (since 2005/6 or so?) and since so much of that is secured (mortgage and car notes) and education (non-dischargeable), all generally considered "necessary" expenses (how do you get to work otherwise?, you have to live somewhere - whether it's rent or mortgage?) two things happened (and continue to happen trend-wise):

1. higher prices via artificial debt demand (price inflation even in the face of strong deflationary market forces)

2. less disposable income as more and more gets allocated to fixed payment schemes and basic cost of living (gasoline).

All this muddies the old "there's only one of these" OA arguments (which is sort of debunked by collecting "type" anyway) and general supply/demand issues in OA (declining readership may = declining demand). If OA prices have hit a ceiling or even a soft curve down from last year but other prices we all pay (gasoline, college for kids, blah blah) keeps going up, incomes stagnating at 1995 or even retreating further AND there's declining general interest in "hard" goods (broadly) and comics/characters/OA (specifically)...the quick flip may end up being the only game left. No more room for the long-term buy/hold for 20-30 yrs scenario...then cashout via HA or whoever, enjoy retirement and leave some to the kids? Just thoughts...

My feeling is those charts are not parabolic just nasty long range curves (in the wrong direction) and OA is basically treading water but may not even do that GOFO.

However... "You can't take it with you" and current life is a process of inevitable death

http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa042000b.htm

So, with that, enjoy life, if you (or anyone) likes to art buy it, and know you're just the custodian of any material possession.

There are worst investments than art, anyone can compare it to any company stock in the stock market even just recently with Blackberry, Zynga, and Expedia... and there are better investments as well, as with Tesla, Lion's Gate Films, and Orbitz... and depending when you buy in and cash out there's fluctuations a with Apple, Chevron and Ebay. Even the stock market indexes as a whole the past few years has been a rollercoaster.

Ultimately, I'd think the majority of collectors of original art, at least the ones I've met see buying art in part as an investment, a side benefit, but ultimately have little intentions of selling their collection, so the idea, motivation or purrpose of "making money" isn't as prevalent amongst the majority of original art collectors.

As for those who are in the business of the original art trade, the dealers and art reps, they seem to be doing fine with the margins they're achieving, as with the Heritage Auctions.

However... "You can't take it with you" and current life is a process of inevitable death

So, with that, enjoy life, if you (or anyone) likes to art buy it, and know you're just the custodian of any material possession.

There are worst investments than art, anyone can compare it to any company stock in the stock market even just recently with Blackberry, Zynga, and Expedia... and there are better investments as well, as with Tesla, Lion's Gate Films, and Orbitz... and depending when you buy in and cash out there's fluctuations a with Apple, Chevron and Ebay. Even the stock market indexes as a whole the past few years has been a rollercoaster.

Ultimately, I'd think the majority of collectors of original art, at least the ones I've met see buying art in part as an investment, a side benefit, but ultimately have little intentions of selling their collection, so the idea, motivation or purrpose of "making money" isn't as prevalent amongst the majority of original art collectors.

As for those who are in the business of the original art trade, the dealers and art reps, they seem to be doing fine with the margins they're achieving, as with the Heritage Auctions.

Nobody "keeps" their art, or their investments, or any possessions,

You part with them all when you part your mortal coil.

So, while we're alive, the winners are not the guys who make the most, or have the most, and achieve the highest ROR. The winners are the guys who are happiest with what they do, and what they (temporarily) have .

So, while we're alive, the winners are not the guys who make the most, or have the most, and achieve the highest ROR. The winners are the guys who are happiest with what they do, and what they (temporarily) have .

Nicely put. :applause:

:applause: