• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doctor strange comics heating up

34 posts in this topic

What would happen to ST110 if the movie didn't happen?

It would most likely cool, but it's been a long forgotten key early Marvel SA book that's always been very tough to find in high grade. The movie may have shone a light on it, but it's a book that's been a hidden gem for a long long time.

What would happen to ST110 if the movie didn't happen?

It would fall back into the dung heap from whence it came and the speculators would apply their funds towards the next speculative/rumoured movie 1st appearance.

Doc Strange could be a hit if they would turn it to a concept type of movie, kind of like Inception or Matrix if you will, but if it would be a reg Marvel movie it will probably flop badly

Although I have always liked Dr. Strange, he's never been a really main stream character. He's one of those characters that seems to best as a guest star in someone else's book. I don't hold out high hopes for a live action movie for him. I did like the animated movie they did a few years ago.

Dr. Strange is a top-ranking character: more than often it was just too difficult for the average reader, like it has been for example Warlock (especially Starlin's), Killraven or the Black Panther run by Don McGregor.

The fact that it did not become entirely "mainstream" is surely no indication of its actual quality, which is very high. Ans surely not those of a character fit to "guest star in someone else's book".

Thor, to make an example, was a lot more worse character for a good portion of his early publishing life, but in the end they managed to make it work better.

And the Avengers would have never had the success they have had little by little if not for Roy Thomas (which wrote an equally awesome Dr. Strange as he was writing the Avengers). :)

Doc Strange could be a hit if they would turn it to a concept type of movie, kind of like Inception or Matrix if you will, but if it would be a reg Marvel movie it will probably flop badly

This would be really inappropriate, as much as it‘s been the mini-series written by Straczynski’s which understood almost nothing about the essence of Strange as a character/person.

Really? I did not notice the increase in doc strange 169, I found a lovely copy for very cheap.... Ya also when you think about it, who could they do for the villain of Strange other than Mordo and Dormmamu so strange tales 111 126 would also be good

buys

They could have Nigthmare or Umar as the villains.

Really? I did not notice the increase in doc strange 169, I found a lovely copy for very cheap.... Ya also when you think about it, who could they do for the villain of Strange other than Mordo and Dormmamu so strange tales 111 126 would also be good

buys

They could have Nigthmare or Umar as the villains.

The Nameless Ones on top of all that. So they would introduce the Defenders (and Valkyrie) as they originally came about. ;)

1st Defenders is Marvel Feature #1 I believe.

Yeah. I have it. Technically there are some keys in Submariner, Hulk & Dr. Strange that all tie together and led to the Defenders forming. Submariner #34 & #35 I believe are the most prediminant pre-Defenders Defenders keys. Hulk #126, Submariner #22(maybe), and a Dr. Strange issue all tie in to their formation. Maybe Hulk #142... whichever had Valkyrie.

DG

Although I have always liked Dr. Strange, he's never been a really main stream character. He's one of those characters that seems to best as a guest star in someone else's book. I don't hold out high hopes for a live action movie for him. I did like the animated movie they did a few years ago.

Dr. Strange is a top-ranking character: more than often it was just too difficult for the average reader, like it has been for example Warlock (especially Starlin's), Killraven or the Black Panther run by Don McGregor.

The fact that it did not become entirely "mainstream" is surely no indication of its actual quality, which is very high. Ans surely not those of a character fit to "guest star in someone else's book".

Thor, to make an example, was a lot more worse character for a good portion of his early publishing life, but in the end they managed to make it work better.

And the Avengers would have never had the success they have had little by little if not for Roy Thomas (which wrote an equally awesome Dr. Strange as he was writing the Avengers). :)

I'm not knocking the quality of the book or any of the writing, I'm just thinking of recognizability among the masses. If you ask the average person about comic characters they could probably rattle off Captain America, Spider-man, Thor, Superman, Batman, Hulk, etc... But if you ask about Dr. Strange, I am betting you get a blank look. Also, where as Batman has gadgets, Superman has physical attributes, even Spider-man has web-shooters, doing the whole "power bolts" thing in a real life movie could be tricky if not down right bad. Look at the Green Lantern movie. I'm surprised the power constructs came out as well as they did.

Also, we already had people crazed about Harry Potter promoting witchcraft. Now we have Doctor Strange, master of the mystic arts....I just see bible thumpers all out there throwing holy water on people. lol.

I'm not knocking the quality of the book or any of the writing, I'm just thinking of recognizability among the masses. If you ask the average person about comic characters they could probably rattle off Captain America, Spider-man, Thor, Superman, Batman, Hulk, etc... But if you ask about Dr. Strange, I am betting you get a blank look.

I agree with that observation - however, I think Marvel is going to start focusing on new properties to develop and push characters mainstream audiences have not seen before. They will still always have the regular ones (Cap, Spidey, Hulk, etc) but Marvel is now smart enough (and with deep enough pockets) to start creating new franchises that will make them even more money.

I'm excited about Dr. Strange and the GotG coming up. I do, however, think Marvel really missed a sweet opportunity in IM3 by having Tony Stark talking to Dr. Strange instead of Dr. Banner in the end clip. We'd be seeing much more collector madness had that happened.

ST 110 and 115 are definitely keys, but I think price is capped by not having Dr S. on the covers. Who want's to display a crowded cover with too much writing and, um, Paste Pot Pete, perhaps the stupidest name for a villain before Big Wheel. Now if this was the cover ...

strange-tales_110.jpg

:acclaim: