• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, now with Copper being HOT, is it okay to overpay for a Copper collection?

98 posts in this topic

The owner made the comments based on his preference, which is GA through Atom Age books. It is a great place to buy BA and up comics from when they get them in, though - earlier this year a collector friend landed a couple of 1st print New 52 Batman #1s for cover from them. (thumbs u

new mutants 98 is one of the few copper/moderns that this sort of place is aware of nowadays (unfortunately!!)

I cut a deal yesterday for a collection that has some SA and BA, but is primarily Copper Marvel. 16 longboxes with nice runs of ASM, X-titles, Avengers, Thor and others, at a price of $1.75 per book. A bit more than I would normally like to pay, but since all of the bigger Marvel Copper keys are there, along with some nice SA/BA books (ASM #100 in VF or better, #121 in 4.0 due to unneeded piece of tape reinforcing top staple on cover of VF book :cry:, X-Men #101, plus earlier issues of both in mid to higher grade) it should be worth it.

The funny thing is, he contacted a couple of stores - one gave him a very lowball offer, two said they were not interested in looking at it. doh!

I picked up the last few boxes of this collection today and will start posting some pics as I go through it. There are a ton of Canadian newsstand price variants and later newsstand copies in the mix.

Also, is there any demand for 80s TPBs and GNs? He had a long box of those as well.

There are some graphic novels that are out of print that clearly have a colletor's market.

This. The two boxes of TPBs and GNs from the last copper/modern collection I bought have paid for the entire collection almost twice over. :grin: There is a significant foreign market for these as well.

There are some graphic novels that are out of print that clearly have a colletor's market.

This. The two boxes of TPBs and GNs from the last copper/modern collection I bought have paid for the entire collection almost twice over. :grin: There is a significant foreign market for these as well.

Interesting. I guess I will have to pay more attention to these now.

Can you guys share some examples?

Also, is there any demand for a Smurfs #1 (Star) Canadian newsstand edition?

This TPB sold for $70 in September and again in December for $48:

- JLA: TOWER OF BABEL Aug 2001 NM (Unread) 1st Printing TPB Mark WAID Ra's al Ghul

Both of these sold for $24:

- FLASH: CROSSFIRE DC Comics TPB 2004 NM/MT 1st Printing Signed by Geoff JOHNS

- BATMAN: THE JOKER'S REVENGE 1990 1st Printing Neal ADAMS Art Denny O'NEIL Story

This one sold for $36:

- NIGHTWING: BIG GUNS 2004 DC Comics NM TPB Chuck DIXON Story Greg LAND Art

Green Arrows are hot; this one sold for $45:

- GREEN ARROW: QUIVER 2002 DC 1st Print NM TPB Kevin SMITH Phil HESTER Ande PARKS

And so on . . . :grin:

There is a Nightwing trade that is out of print that goes for really decent money. I forget which one exactly, but it's easy enough to find out

It's the Nightwing / Birds of Prey Mix - that one netted some nice coin . . . :grin:

Okay, here are some pics. I pulled out a few keys/more interesting items from the first few boxes.

Here are some of the TPBs - most were Marvel or DC from the mid 80s through early 90s, plus a few HCs.

DerranTPBbox_zpsb087732b.jpg

One of the HCs is the signed and numbered Crow HC (120/1500) and another is a Limited Edition Lady Death HC.

CrowHCsigned_zpsd0062208.jpg

CrowHCsigned-signaturepage_zps57b9714b.jpg

LadyDeathLtdHC_zps933700ec.jpg

LadyDeathLtdHC-indiciapage_zpse0fe0d4f.jpg

Here are some of the comics of higher interest that I quickly pulled from the boxes:

DC box (there are a bunch of CDN newsstand variants including Justice League #1)

DCBox1-Derran_zps532fd95f.jpg

X-Factor/Cable/Excalibur/other lesser X-titles box:

014dd914-638b-4d56-bf98-fff2d3e0957e_zps26ffb027.jpg

X-Men box 1 (40 or so Byrne issues and then 3 - 5 copies of almost everything from #150 - #250).

X-MenBox1Derran1_zpsa7390960.jpg

Miscellaneous box (there are bunch more CDN newsstand variants including GI Joe, Transformers and Greggy's favorite......Star Comics!)

4367f7ca-ceea-42f6-a147-497f4adc7f72_zps3131e7c5.jpg

88ab9132-d35c-4fb7-8541-166608964280_zps60870f8c.jpg

Nice little haul there. I'm going to a local "comic flea market" this guy sets up once a month on the 2nd Sat. I'll be coming home with some more Copper stuff this time around. Everything is a dollar excluding well known wall type books. It is a treasure trove for sure. :banana:

Here are some of the comics of higher interest that I quickly pulled from the boxes:

DC box (there are a bunch of CDN newsstand variants including Justice League #1)

DCBox1-Derran_zps532fd95f.jpg

X-Factor/Cable/Excalibur/other lesser X-titles box:

014dd914-638b-4d56-bf98-fff2d3e0957e_zps26ffb027.jpg

X-Men box 1 (40 or so Byrne issues and then 3 - 5 copies of almost everything from #150 - #250).

X-MenBox1Derran1_zpsa7390960.jpg

Miscellaneous box (there are bunch more CDN newsstand variants including GI Joe, Transformers and Greggy's favorite......Star Comics!)

4367f7ca-ceea-42f6-a147-497f4adc7f72_zps3131e7c5.jpg

88ab9132-d35c-4fb7-8541-166608964280_zps60870f8c.jpg

Really nice haul

Recently, I purchased a fairly large Bronze/Copper collection for a tidy sum of money. The Bronze keys, once certified, are going to easily pay for the bulk of my acquisition costs, but that still leaves me shelling out a couple of grand for about 7,000 copper books (most all 9.4-9.8 type books). If you asked me five years ago, I'd probably have passed on the deal, since most of the copper stuff was dollar bin fodder, but I've pulled about two long boxes of good stuff already, and I know I'm not done. I also purchased another unread copper collection earlier this year where the owner had certified the "easy money" (Wolverine # 1s, etc.) but left a lot of quality material behind for the next guy (like 60 copies of Tales of Teen Titans 44, most 9.4+), which just happened to be me. I also ended up paying close to a buck a book for that collection, which several people, whose opinions I trust, clearly thought I overpaid for. However, six months later, I'm close to netting a quadruple return on the books, and I still have several thousand left that I don't even know what to do with.

My question is: the market is clearly showing an interest in books from the mid 80s to mid 90s (rule of 25 I suppose), but there seems to be a lot of people who don't believe its worth paying, or in my case, overpaying for. I certainly don't care what other people think if I know I'm going to make my money back, plus some, I'm just wondering how much of this resistance is ingrained in the belief that books from this era are always going to be worthless (a problem Bronze books had to overcome 10-15 years ago). How do you approach Copper collections (assuming they are of the unread, NM/MT variety)? Do you actively look for them and do you pay aggressively? Are you willing to pay a little more with the idea that these books are likely to continue to increase in the next couple of years? Do you prefer to cherry pick and not purchase these collections altogether?

it's all good as long as you're making a profit (thumbs u