• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, now with Copper being HOT, is it okay to overpay for a Copper collection?

98 posts in this topic

Recently, I purchased a fairly large Bronze/Copper collection for a tidy sum of money. The Bronze keys, once certified, are going to easily pay for the bulk of my acquisition costs, but that still leaves me shelling out a couple of grand for about 7,000 copper books (most all 9.4-9.8 type books). If you asked me five years ago, I'd probably have passed on the deal, since most of the copper stuff was dollar bin fodder, but I've pulled about two long boxes of good stuff already, and I know I'm not done. I also purchased another unread copper collection earlier this year where the owner had certified the "easy money" (Wolverine # 1s, etc.) but left a lot of quality material behind for the next guy (like 60 copies of Tales of Teen Titans 44, most 9.4+), which just happened to be me. I also ended up paying close to a buck a book for that collection, which several people, whose opinions I trust, clearly thought I overpaid for. However, six months later, I'm close to netting a quadruple return on the books, and I still have several thousand left that I don't even know what to do with.

My question is: the market is clearly showing an interest in books from the mid 80s to mid 90s (rule of 25 I suppose), but there seems to be a lot of people who don't believe its worth paying, or in my case, overpaying for. I certainly don't care what other people think if I know I'm going to make my money back, plus some, I'm just wondering how much of this resistance is ingrained in the belief that books from this era are always going to be worthless (a problem Bronze books had to overcome 10-15 years ago). How do you approach Copper collections (assuming they are of the unread, NM/MT variety)? Do you actively look for them and do you pay aggressively? Are you willing to pay a little more with the idea that these books are likely to continue to increase in the next couple of years? Do you prefer to cherry pick and not purchase these collections altogether?

I have chosen to be very careful when it comes to collections. Copper is going to experience the "GI Joe 21 effect" at a very rapid pace. What I mean by that is that the first several to market will spike and then there will be floods of jumpers on that will drag the market down.

Example: Darkhawk #1 is apparently selling for a pretty penny in CGC 9.8. (Boy, was I disappointed in that book when it came out!) Someone just showed a hoard of DH #1s going to CGC for slabbing. When those hit, the price will tumble. They are not rare, and they are not rare in 9.8, especially with all the pressing.

My advice is be early to market and be judicious with your buying. There is a lot of Copper out there. A lot, lot, lot.

I have chosen to be very careful when it comes to collections. Copper is going to experience the "GI Joe 21 effect" at a very rapid pace. What I mean by that is that the first several to market will spike and then there will be floods of jumpers on that will drag the market down.

Example: Darkhawk #1 is apparently selling for a pretty penny in CGC 9.8. (Boy, was I disappointed in that book when it came out!) Someone just showed a hoard of DH #1s going to CGC for slabbing. When those hit, the price will tumble. They are not rare, and they are not rare in 9.8, especially with all the pressing.

My advice is be early to market and be judicious with your buying. There is a lot of Copper out there. A lot, lot, lot.

That was me, but I won't be flooding. It'll be a slow drip if they even hit eBay. I found the hoard for $0.50 each, which I couldn't pass up.

But yeah, be judicious. There is a lot of it. In that set of DH I found was A LOT of ASM 265. I weeded through and only picked the best of the best.

Recently, I purchased a fairly large Bronze/Copper collection for a tidy sum of money. The Bronze keys, once certified, are going to easily pay for the bulk of my acquisition costs, but that still leaves me shelling out a couple of grand for about 7,000 copper books (most all 9.4-9.8 type books). If you asked me five years ago, I'd probably have passed on the deal, since most of the copper stuff was dollar bin fodder, but I've pulled about two long boxes of good stuff already, and I know I'm not done. I also purchased another unread copper collection earlier this year where the owner had certified the "easy money" (Wolverine # 1s, etc.) but left a lot of quality material behind for the next guy (like 60 copies of Tales of Teen Titans 44, most 9.4+), which just happened to be me. I also ended up paying close to a buck a book for that collection, which several people, whose opinions I trust, clearly thought I overpaid for. However, six months later, I'm close to netting a quadruple return on the books, and I still have several thousand left that I don't even know what to do with.

My question is: the market is clearly showing an interest in books from the mid 80s to mid 90s (rule of 25 I suppose), but there seems to be a lot of people who don't believe its worth paying, or in my case, overpaying for. I certainly don't care what other people think if I know I'm going to make my money back, plus some, I'm just wondering how much of this resistance is ingrained in the belief that books from this era are always going to be worthless (a problem Bronze books had to overcome 10-15 years ago). How do you approach Copper collections (assuming they are of the unread, NM/MT variety)? Do you actively look for them and do you pay aggressively? Are you willing to pay a little more with the idea that these books are likely to continue to increase in the next couple of years? Do you prefer to cherry pick and not purchase these collections altogether?

Buy them all. If you're netting a quadruple return with thousands left over, you really have to ask?

Tell you what - next time you want to pass on one, call me.

Buy them all. If you're netting a quadruple return with thousands left over, you really have to ask?

I should mention that I bought this collection back in February, well before the recent summer run up. With prices rising on certain books (X-Men 282, ToTT 44, MOS 18), that i just happened to have in abundance via this new collection. Part of the reason I asked the question the way I did is that back in February, I couldn't forsee the strength we've seen in Copper this summer, so I was leery about paying what I thought was top dollar. Turned out well for me in the end, but do other people gamble on Copper books like that? Clearly with the supply out there, its only a matter of time before the "hot" books are meet with a flood of supply and prices drop. Copper is probably the one age that we'll never run out of books to sell.

I represent the Copper Age collector as my Golden Age of collecting was in the 1988 to 1994 period/time frame. While I don't seem myself paying thousands of dollars for any of the books there are particular keys that I can't seem to ever get enough of. Those are the books that represent my childhood and I'm more than willing to pay $5 for multiple NM/MINT copies. Darkhawk, New Warriors, Iron Man, Gold Cover 2nd prints, you name it. But I'm very choosy and the books I chase down represent the books that I want for my personal collection.

So if you think of collectors like me times 20,000 who also had the same experience in the same time frame than you will probably see a small price increase due to nostalgia.

Just my two cents. Now go out and CGC some later issues of New Warriors and Darkhawk so I can buy them! :sumo:

Oh, and I don't pay aggressively for non key issues but for rare keys in that time frame, you better believe I will be a little aggressive. I was supper aggressive on TMNT #1 and I need to be more aggressive with Albedo #2, ect, ect.

Just my two cents. Now go out and CGC some later issues of New Warriors and Darkhawk so I can buy them! :sumo:

My most recent collection purchase had a full NM run of both titles. (thumbs u

I never knew New Warriors or Darkhawk lasted as long as they did. hm

I should mention that I bought this collection back in February, well before the recent summer run up. With prices rising on certain books (X-Men 282, ToTT 44, MOS 18), that i just happened to have in abundance via this new collection. Part of the reason I asked the question the way I did is that back in February, I couldn't forsee the strength we've seen in Copper this summer, so I was leery about paying what I thought was top dollar. Turned out well for me in the end, but do other people gamble on Copper books like that? Clearly with the supply out there, its only a matter of time before the "hot" books are meet with a flood of supply and prices drop. Copper is probably the one age that we'll never run out of books to sell.

If you're buying at the right price, there's never going to be an issue. Buy for a nickel. Sell for a dollar. Sell for fifty dollars. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

I have seen strong demand for copper keys at local shows for the past two years. Even pricing aggressively on books (e.g. ASM #361 for $40 in VF or better , Wolverine LS #1 VF $40 - $50, up to $75 for NM-) they sell as fast as you can put them on the table/wall. It seems that any key will sell in VF or better as long as the price does not exceed $100. The only issues that people show little resistance to above that level right now are ASM #300 and New Mutants #98. ASM #300 in FN to VF is an easy sell at $100, with higher grade copies going for more. New Mutants #98 in VF to NM- can be sold for $150 apiece raw no problem.

The key with buying copper collections, though, is making sure there are enough keys in the collection to make it worthwhile. While the keys go for good money, the rest of the books stagnate. For example, I wanted to test the McSpidey market at the 3 day Calgary show this spring and had a bunch priced at $1 or $2. I think I moved three or four of them, and that was it.

The kids that were 8-14 during the speculator crash are in their prime nostalgia years. I never thought there could be nostalgia over the Death of Superman, Knightfall, Clone Saga, early Image etc., but there is. Plus the books that were mini-wall books in those days are books like X-Factor 6, 24, ASM 361 etc. And they are spiking with real demand behind it. As I said before, I don't think nosebleed prices on 9.8s can sustain because of all the copies, but it is a real phenomenon.

I have seen strong demand for copper keys at local shows for the past two years. Even pricing aggressively on books (e.g. ASM #361 for $40 in VF or better , Wolverine LS #1 VF $40 - $50, up to $75 for NM-) they sell as fast as you can put them on the table/wall. It seems that any key will sell in VF or better as long as the price does not exceed $100. The only issues that people show little resistance to above that level right now are ASM #300 and New Mutants #98. ASM #300 in FN to VF is an easy sell at $100, with higher grade copies going for more. New Mutants #98 in VF to NM- can be sold for $150 apiece raw no problem.

The key with buying copper collections, though, is making sure there are enough keys in the collection to make it worthwhile. While the keys go for good money, the rest of the books stagnate. For example, I wanted to test the McSpidey market at the 3 day Calgary show this spring and had a bunch priced at $1 or $2. I think I moved three or four of them, and that was it.

Well, I plan on having a real presence of Copper Keys at the upcoming Tampa Bay Comic Con (both slabbed and raw), so I will be happy to report what sort of interest the books get over the three day period. I figure to have 3-10 copies of every major key like NM 98, ASM 300, etc. though I might be hesitant to put them all out at once. :P

The kids that were 8-14 during the speculator crash are in their prime nostalgia years. I never thought there could be nostalgia over the Death of Superman, Knightfall, Clone Saga, early Image etc., but there is. Plus the books that were mini-wall books in those days are books like X-Factor 6, 24, ASM 361 etc. And they are spiking with real demand behind it. As I said before, I don't think nosebleed prices on 9.8s can sustain because of all the copies, but it is a real phenomenon.

You aren't lying. And to think I still find Web of Spidey 118 in dollar bins. Pulled one out of one at the May Orlando show for a buck, came back a 9.8. I can't tell you how many of those books I put into backstock all those years ago because my boss over ordered it based on the hype. He probably sold them for a dime a book too. lol

Amazing how books that were popular in 1987-1992 are spiking now. You don't say.

Once again, The Rule of 25 holds. It ALWAYS holds.

And you paid 28 cents each for a high grade Copper collection with multiple keys? Quit whining. lol

Amazing how books that were popular in 1987-1992 are spiking now. You don't say.

And you paid 28 cents each for a high grade Copper collection with multiple keys? Quit whining. lol

^^

That second part was added just as I was posted "WINNAH".

Well, I plan on having a real presence of Copper Keys at the upcoming Tampa Bay Comic Con (both slabbed and raw), so I will be happy to report what sort of interest the books get over the three day period. I figure to have 3-10 copies of every major key like NM 98, ASM 300, etc. though I might be hesitant to put them all out at once. :P

Kimik is bang on. At the Calgary show we sold about 20 Wolverine mini 1 and a fair number of 2-4. 5 copies of ASM 300 and probably 10 copies of 361. I suspect we sold more CA books than any other era by volume.

I think we sold more than that. All 3 of my ASM #300s went, and I believe I sold 8 - 10 ASM #361s by myself. I moved 2 Wolverine #1-4 runs in average FN condition for $80 and $100 as well - I could not believe that anyone would want mid grade Copper.

The one that I still shake my head at is Walking Dead. I was getting $5 - $20 for post #100 issues that were still on the shelf at the stores in Calgary. doh!

Where's that guy that has the sig line saying the rule of 25 is not true? I haven't noticed many posts by him lately.

You aren't lying. And to think I still find Web of Spidey 118 in dollar bins. Pulled one out of one at the May Orlando show for a buck, came back a 9.8. I can't tell you how many of those books I put into backstock all those years ago because my boss over ordered it based on the hype. He probably sold them for a dime a book too. lol

It is interesting to see how many stores and dealers at local shows are not net aware. A couple of weeks ago I went into one LCS to check out the new stock (they keep putting more Saga #3, 4, and 5 1st prints out at cover lol ) and decided to check out the back issue bins in case they had some new stuff in it. They had some new Batman backstock in a short box. Most of it was common drek, but I ended up finding a Batman Adventures #12 in NM/NM+ for $4 - they did not even bother to check the guide on when pricing it.

I think the 9.8 prices will come down, but the raw prices will continue to climb slowly as demand outstrips supply at most shows on them.

Copper is just enjoying a surge due to the nostalgia factor and the recent onslaught of comic book themed movies as everyone knows. But I think the volume of material is actually helping the market...at least for the short term. Being able to go to a con or on line and finding the book you want, builds excitement. When we want something, we want it now. Human nature. If collectors ran into one obstacle after another to fill a want list, eventually they will give up and move onto something else.

When supply eventually fills up supply, which will happen soon I imagine, then we will see a drop in prices for most books. The part that amazes me is the prices that are realized for ASM 300 and NM 98 despite the number copies readily available in high grades (CGC and raw)....