• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman Unchained Variants

29 posts in this topic

What's everyone's opinions on these variants in terms of long term value.

I grabbed my Neal Adams variant because he's Neal freaking Adams, as well as a Timm Variant.

superman-unchained-neal-adams.jpg

smun11930sjpg-5e9fb1.jpg

Do you guys see these (or the 1:200 sketch) being good long term investments, or its just a bit of hype.

Barely any modern comics are good long term investments - certainly not variants from a non-core Superman title that's going to be cancelled in a couple of years so that they can roll out the next one.

Modern comics not a good long term investment? Do you believe they will not increase in value in time at all?

Barely any modern comics are good long term investments - certainly not variants from a non-core Superman title that's going to be cancelled in a couple of years so that they can roll out the next one.

Modern comics not a good long term investment? Do you believe they will not increase in value in time at all?

I said barely any modern comics.

Of course some will increase in value significantly, but it's not easy to predict which those will be. Some others will increase a little bit, but to me that's not a "good long term investment".

I understand and agree, still getting to grips with this hobby, but I'm going modern - its very difficult and expensive collecting older books from South Africa (not that getting key moderns and CGC's aren't) - so I'm hoping I'm at least getting some appreciation over (a long) time

I understand and agree, still getting to grips with this hobby, but I'm going modern - its very difficult and expensive collecting older books from South Africa (not that getting key moderns and CGC's aren't) - so I'm hoping I'm at least getting some appreciation over (a long) time

And you probably will get some appreciation on some books, but very few people make good money out of buying and selling comics. From South Africa I'd say it would be very difficult to do so, particularly with moderns.

It sounds like you just want to collect, and possibly make a bit of money on the side if things go your way - that sounds like a sensible approach!

Ja I'm not going to start flogging and speculating! Trying to build up a collection (which I enjoy), which I'll pass on to the kids (unless one of the issues becomes a WD1 or something!) - here's hoping they can one day sell some and recoup my costs lol

Nice one - well, this board is a great resource for researching and talking about comics anyway. I'm not aware of any other South African boardies, but I don't doubt that there are some, so you may even come across one or two of your countrymen!

Haven't come across one of my countrymen yet! Comic collecting is still growing here in SA, there is no real price guide so you get guys selling stuff on local auction sites for ridiculous prices or too low. Also, only a few real comic shops, luckily the best one is around the corner from me! It's best to work via the LCS and get current issues (moderns), but anything more, especially slabs, I come here. Ebay won't sell comics to SA anymore either

Lenticular RRP is also a solid one to be in on.

The Timm is the best IMO.

Again, everything depends on what your purchase price is. If a Timm is going to run you $50 raw, don't expect to profit. Just like anything else...

Well, I think you should be in this hobby for the fun of it, not to expect profit. I mean, I wouldn't hold out hope that you will be able to retire on your comic book investment. That whole speculation bubble exploded in the 90's and almost destroyed this hobby in my opinion. My guide is to buy what you like and read. You'll be a lot happier in the long run.

The only variants that usual hold long term value is the truely rare ones. The more common ones usually drop after the initial buzz dies down.

I believe key modern newsstand editions from 2000 to present will see an interesting surprise in raised value down the road, as many who don't care or realize that these copies are extremely low printed compared to the direct versions and then add the handling/flip through at the newsstand which limits any slabbing over 9.2 and then the pulping of back issues. Just try to find a newsstand issue in a gradable condition unless you get to the book the day is arrives.

So.... long term value..... I see it in newsstand editions.

Well, I think you should be in this hobby for the fun of it, not to expect profit. I mean, I wouldn't hold out hope that you will be able to retire on your comic book investment. That whole speculation bubble exploded in the 90's and almost destroyed this hobby in my opinion. My guide is to buy what you like and read. You'll be a lot happier in the long run.

The bubble in the 90's was mainly due to comic publishers raking in millions of dollars per issue. Comics had extremely large print runs like 1 million copies per issue, unlike today's market. Everyone from the publishers to the mom and pop comic shops appearing everywhere to cash in, to speculators that didn't understand that even though the comic was hot at the moment, there were more comics produced than people interested in them. Simple supply and demand ratio. Mom and Pop shops couldn't return the excess drek for credit that sat on shelves and ate the loss which made them leave the business. Sad times for small businesses for sure, Image is still around $$$$, but I think it was a healthy correction that was needed.