• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 149 red cover variant

86 posts in this topic

Okay guys, I am an Overstreet advisor of the last three years and I've worked with Overstreet for the past six and I'm going to say this once more — this book is not faded. I've got two really nice copies of the regular edition and the colors of the error edition are as bright and vibrant as a mint copy of the regular edition. The green colored portions of the book are yellow and the purple Spider-Man (he's dark blue/purple on the regular edition) is a very dark pink. There is no sign of blue on this edition, making it a variant.

This is not a scam. This is not someone trying to sell a book for a high price.

I merely wanted to know if any of the knowledgeable collectors on this board had ever seen a copy. One dealer says he has.

And for everyone to try to say it's merely sun faded or not a variant, there sure has been a lot of interest in buying it, even though I never offered it for sale.

Ok, ok -- chill. No one is calling you a liar.

Over the past few years lots of "varinats" have surfaced that appear to be legit but, after this group of guys bats it around, are proven to be fakes.

What's going to happen is we are brainstorm for a while and probably come up with 20 reasons why this thing could be a fake. Just bare with us -- it's how the process works. Once we get it out of our system we will probably reach a decision. It's all in the name of validation -- that's all.

If it's any help to you at all, yours is the first copy I have ever seen.

Thanks. See, that's what I'm trying to find out ... the rarity of this issue.

I already know about its printing error and how it happened. I just need to know from some of the more knowledgeable collectors if they've ever seen one.

What would this sell for? Any examples of the aforementioned USM's sales?

I think the variant junkies should clamor for this copy too.

but Im not hearing too much excitement her in this thread, are you? so........who knows.

604393-spidey1.jpg604393-spidey2.jpg

For comparison sake, here is a copy of Conan 1 that is CGC graded NM and a copy that sat in the sun too long.

605043-conan2.JPG

The book on the right is my book, and I know for a fact that the book is faded from the sun.

I hope that this helps the discussion in some way.

thumbsup2.gif

605043-conan2.JPG.d23ff64c4b750bb6cbe439f43c258d5f.JPG

604393-spidey1.jpg604393-spidey2.jpg

For comparison sake, here is a copy of Conan 1 that is CGC graded NM and a copy that sat in the sun too long.

605043-conan2.JPG

The book on the right is my book, and I know for a fact that the book is faded from the sun.

I hope that this helps the discussion in some way.

thumbsup2.gif

Your book still has all 4 colors represented.

They are faded, but they are all there.

gossip.gif

gossip.gif

I know. That is why I was saying that it was faded and not a printing error. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that if JC was around he could post his faded copy of X94. Since he has been on hiatus, I thought that this would be a suitable sub.

yay.gif

gossip.gif

I know. That is why I was saying that it was faded and not a printing error. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that if JC was around he could post his faded copy of X94. Since he has been on hiatus, I thought that this would be a suitable sub.

yay.gif

But this book has no cyan...

604393-spidey2.jpg

I'm not saying the scan doesn't look faded, but it may just be a bad scan.

But it definately doesn't have any cyan in it.

The following is a copy of Zap Comix 0:

805066004o.jpg

When this first appeared at the offices of CGC, I was contacted by both Steve and Mark. Neither had ever seen a copy before, and there was no information in the Kennedy guide about it, so naturally, they wanted to find out as much about the book as possible.

I took some time to research the history of the book, and discovered from at least three sources outside of Don Schenkers claims (which included Jay Kennedy himself, and Don Donahue -- the previous owner of Apex Novelties, who was involved with printing the first few original runs of this edition), and all concluded that the book was nothing more than a production error.

The cyan was missed during the books print run, and in the end the book yielded US $1437.50 at a Heritage auction. Whether or not this is one example where CGC caved into the claims of the owner/consignor by reporting it a "Yellow Cover Variant" is a matter as subjective as grading itself.

But as a collector with a keen interest in preserving information about counter-culture artifacts such as Underground Comix, it is in my opinion that regardless of scarcity/rarity, this sort of printing anomoly ought not carry with it the loose distinction of "variant."

My print notes distinguish this particular copy as a 5th print. And my quick reference UG market report on Zap Comix 0 reveals that the book was nothing more than a glorified 5th print that normally sells for about $US 25 in NM condition, and well below that in VF condition.

I think that my point is not coming across very well. I agree that the ASM in question is a printing error. I was just offering the Conan 1 as a reference for a book that was missing a lot of color but is not a printing error.

cool.gif

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I didn't understand what you were talking about.

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

But as a collector with a keen interest in preserving information about counter-culture artifacts such as Underground Comix, it is in my opinion that regardless of scarcity/rarity, this sort of printing anomoly ought not carry with it the loose distinction of "variant."

I agree, wiz.

It's a printing error. Not a variant.

Still rare and very cool to own, but it could use a change in the description. headbang.gif

Matewan,

I'm sorry if you got the sense that I was saying this was a scam. From your posts,no-one can tell if you are a newbie,a shill pulling a scam or an Overstreet advisor.

To me,it looked sundrenched. Others have stated its not. Case closed.

However,I can't see how this printing error can be considered a variant.I own several multiple cover books and books with siamese pages.While they are of interest and might sell for a premium,I don't see them as variants. This,to me,falls into the same type of thing.

If you decide to sell it,good luck. I'm sure someone will buy it.

BTW- I own several dozen Turtles books that were printed minus the cover colors. I hope this becomes the next big thing collectors go after.

I'd be more apt to call this a production error and NOT a variant. If this is a variant then we need to go back and call Cal IM/Subby #1 a variant.

As Banner noted, there's a world of difference between missing colors and miscoloring a'la FF #110. At least in my opinion...

Jim

I'd be more apt to call this a production error and NOT a variant.

The key is that this is, indeed, a printer error. Printer errors are recognized by Overstreet and in their grading guide and this should fall into that category.

Otherwise, are we going to call a very bad miswrap a variant? A very badly cut copy a variant? A book produced with one insetad of two staples a variant?

There may be collector's willing to pay good money for such as the missing cyan book, but it simply is not a variant. It is a printer error.

Matewan=Michael 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes, Matewan=Michael. I'm Michael Browning, longtime comic collector and Overstreet advisor, Michael Browning. I'm originally from Matewan (home of the Hatfield-McCoy Feud) here in the southern West Virginia coalfields. That's the origin of my screenname.

I appreciate everyone's help with this issue.

I am not putting the book up for sale at this time. It'll stay in my collection for the time being.

I wanted everyone's input before I submit my information to next year's Guide.

The reason I called it a variant is because it is different than the regular cover. I wasn't meaning it is a variant in the sense of today's variants, only in the sense that it is a variation of the regular cover, albeit unintentional. Don't worry, I'll call it a printer's error when I submit my info to Overstreet.

Again, I do appreciate all the input.