• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Closed - ASM 34 NM for sale

33 posts in this topic

When I was growing up in the 80's and 90's and in full blown comic mode I combined over a long period of time different trades, acquisitions, etc to get #6 from my local shop. Condition was pretty good, but it was the journey to get it that made it rewarding.

Long story short, financial issues awhile back forced me to give up that prize, but now that the shoe is on the other foot I've had my eyes open for one, and what a one this one is.

Hard to find with the staples in a normal spot, the T not wrapped around the back, and like everyone's said, the deep colors are nuts!

Just couldn't pass it up! =)

Congrats man! What a great copy. :golfclap:

When I was growing up in the 80's and 90's and in full blown comic mode I combined over a long period of time different trades, acquisitions, etc to get #6 from my local shop. Condition was pretty good, but it was the journey to get it that made it rewarding.

Long story short, financial issues awhile back forced me to give up that prize, but now that the shoe is on the other foot I've had my eyes open for one, and what a one this one is.

Hard to find with the staples in a normal spot, the T not wrapped around the back, and like everyone's said, the deep colors are nuts!

Just couldn't pass it up! =)

Congrats man! What a great copy. :golfclap:

+1 (Nice story!) (thumbs u

Don-That 34 is a real nice copy. The cover and it's edges are still nice and white after 45 years!

Thanks, it presents better than my 9.6 copy. I believe I will send it in to regrade, if I cannot find anything else visible through the case. I'm getting dozens of my raw books ready to go to CGC now. I'll have a lot more to sell in 2-3 months, who knows how their schedule is going this year. Regards,

Thanks, my first #34 was one of the nicest of my first mail order group of books from a Richard Alf. I took it on a trip we made and left it on the rear window "shelf" of the car during the day. It was around a VFNM before that, but after that sun and all of these years, it's more like a F+ given the paper. It may grade as an OW paper, but I know its history. Think of all old books and how they were taken care of.

Back then 34 would cost about 2 bucks in VFNM and that was one of the only cheap Ditko Spider-man issues you could afford. You never had to think about the paper quality on the Super hero Marvels because the majority of them were only ten years old. I can remember Robert Bell having stacks of early Silver age Marvels on his tables at Comic Book conventions and there were only 3 grades at the time. He is credited as inventing the first comic book plastic bag and I remember that 100 of them cost $5.00 compared to the cost of a new comic book that was 20 to 25 cents. So it was expensive to take care of books.

Ditto, those early issues by mail the grading was generally "VG or better." I also began collecting the OPG's right then too, #7 was brand new and Bob Overstreet took my order by phone for all of them except the #1.

Oh yeah, I bought almost all of those price guides too and would study every little b&w photo of those covers on the insides and their values. The real early ones looked like they were all produced with typewriters. I also had the #7 porky pig cover guide. Still like looking at those prices and dealer ads today!

Good stuff to recall.

I had ordered the Porky Pig #7 from Bob, and one of my aunts gave me one for my birthday with a few words inside the front cover. I have them both and like the personal copy for reading and enjoyment. I began in 2010 collecting the hard bound OPG's, those are much harder to find. The #2 and 3 were hell, and I've lost my #5 somewhere. :makepoint:doh!