• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

15 buck charge for grader's notes...surprise, surprise!

46 posts in this topic

That's actually a lot of info compared to some of the notes I've paid for.

It's a drag to have to pay, but in the long run I've saved money by learning about hidden defects that dissuaded me from purchasing certain books.

Wish I'd purchased the graders notes on a book with rusty staples. It was there in the notes, but not anywhere on the slab (or visible in the scan). I'm done complaining about it, but it does seem like we pay for the grading the notes should come with it especially if the slab doesn't tell the full story.

I think if you are paying for a book to be graded that notes should be included. But, I'm wrong, so :sorry:

You are not wrong. In fact, based on the previous threads, I believe you are in the majority in terms of your views.

Isn't the Service heavily parsed? (shrug) The customer pays to get their comic "Certified" by CGC. "Certification" is the only end product purchased.

"Reviewing", "Grading", Grader's Notes" and "Restoration Check" seem to be the internal processes used by CGC to arrive at the "Certified" designation. "Certification" includes a grade opinion, true, but whatever internal processes and criteria used are proprietary and their results are not guaranteed.

That's how I read their FAQs. Right or wrong? (shrug)

You might have a stronger case for this stance IF defects were cited somewhere on the label. The fact that CGC documents these defects separately and not along with the "certified" slab is why I think it's not as clear cut an argument that the slab is the end product. This further becomes muddled when you consider the graders notes were offered free of charge for over 10 years.

That's actually a lot of info compared to some of the notes I've paid for.

It's a drag to have to pay, but in the long run I've saved money by learning about hidden defects that dissuaded me from purchasing certain books.

Wish I'd purchased the graders notes on a book with rusty staples. It was there in the notes, but not anywhere on the slab (or visible in the scan). I'm done complaining about it, but it does seem like we pay for the grading the notes should come with it especially if the slab doesn't tell the full story.

I have a slabbed comic with rust on the staples. It's old label, and the grader's notes don't mention the rust at all. The only thing in the notes is "Left Center Back Cover Tear, Spine Wear" That's pretty sparse for a 5.5. They make a lot of observations that don't make it to the notes.

Quick question...

If I pay for the graders notes of my own books, as I did for three of them this morning, is it allowable to post the notes for those books in my own permanent thread or is that in violation of some type of intellectual property?

I thought it was a legitimate question...

Can I cut and paste them into the descriptions of my books in the registry?