• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-men Days Of Future Past Full Size Sentinel Revealed By Bryan Singer!

114 posts in this topic

I can't get past it lookin like its been built out of PVC. Looks more like a plastic toy than the plastic toys.

DRYER VENT MAN joins the X-men!

You do realize that this is likely a model for positioning and CGI will be layered on top of it, right?

Nope, don't realize that. Can't imagine why only the white would be white and the purple is purple, and the face plate is also silver... But here's hopin! Singer can kill a wet dream.

I'm betting they look nothing like a Micronaut in the finished movie.

I'm reminded of the mechanical Kong for the 1976 remake. DeLaurentis promised Kong would look alive and real. The final mechanical Kong was so unlifelike it got nearly no screen time. It was largely replaced with closeups and composites with the guy in the suit.

Why spend so much money and time on a prop that you are going to fill in with something else later? Today, you could do motion capture on live humans and composite the shot with the CGI overlay.

I guess a half and half blend of real-deal and CGI could be cheaper and maybe even better-looking. It's just hard to imagine the motion of this two-story model being effective enough to make it worth filming for the final movie.

I'm skeptical but hopeful. :)

I'm glad they decided to jazz these Iron Man suits a little with CGI.

I don't think the production suits would have sold the film.

ironman_before_and_after_cgi_14278.jpg

Looks cool :)

At least the Sentinels are not going to be CGI :banana:

It HAS to be CGI. They can't make any mechanical version of that that thing move or fight like we will expect from a sentinel.

I'm glad they decided to jazz these Iron Man suits a little with CGI.

I don't think the production suits would have sold the film.

ironman_before_and_after_cgi_14278.jpg

The difference there is we see very little pre-production armor, mainly the markers for the CG crew. I see no such markers and a lot of detail work on the big Sentinel model.

Can they add the markers? Of course, but why build a 21-foot model that you expect to put markers all over, without putting the markers on as you assemble it?

I feel the photo is either to show off the design at or near scale, or they have wasted money building a prop they won't use at all. If it's only to fill space, why all the details to begin with? I'm willing to be educated about it, but on the basis of the photo I'm not getting it yet.

I feel the photo is either to show off the design at or near scale, or they have wasted money building a prop they won't use at all. If it's only to fill space, why all the details to begin with? I'm willing to be educated about it, but on the basis of the photo I'm not getting it yet.

That's probably the finished product, and that model is intended to be in shots where the sentinel sits there doing nothing in the background and the camera is focused on something else.

That's probably the finished product, and that model is intended to be in shots where the sentinel sits there doing nothing in the background and the camera is focused on something else.

Now I wonder once the movie is over who gets to take that home. Maybe it will come down to how successful the movie is in theaters.

If it is a huge hit and a high point for Singer's career, he may install it on his lawn. If it bombs, this may be an auction candidate to raise funds so the studio can recoup expense losses.

If it is a huge hit and a high point for Singer's career, he may install it on his lawn. If it bombs, this may be an auction candidate to raise funds so the studio can recoup expense losses.

Singer would have to crank out a real stinker that the critics outright bash for the movie to bomb. Most X-Men films have made roughly the same amount of money, and the source material for this one is stronger than the other films. Having said that--and even though I'm a huge fan of X-Men 141 and 142--there are two elements to the story that are hokey that critics may not like. First, Sentinels--the idea of giant robots is slightly dumb and may not translate well to the big screen. Second, time travel. The way they did it in the comic stretched credibility pretty far, and the whole complexity of creating multiple timelines has been explored to death in films at this point and it's rarely a satisfying thing to explore.

I'm sure there's a good way to do this story on the big screen, but I'm not sure Singer can pull it off. It's a bit risky, and although his work on X-Men, X-Men 2, and Superman Returns has been generally well-received, sometimes he goes astray. Returns got great reviews upon release, but the whole thing with him having an illegitimate kid left a bad taste in enough people's mouths to have caused the film to be looked back upon in a far worse way than it was upon release in 2007. He also went MASSIVELY over-budget on that film and probably burned all of his future bridges at WB because of it. But he did well on the first two X-films, and "The Usual Suspects" was a gem, so hopefully he can pull this one off. :wishluck: It seems as though he hasn't gotten as much work since "Superman Returns"...that could be by choice, or it could be just the way it's working out for him due to reputation, but either reason hopefully means he's focused like a laser on this next film. :wishluck:

It seems as though he hasn't gotten as much work since "Superman Returns"...that could be by choice, or it could be just the way it's working out for him due to reputation, but either reason hopefully means he's focused like a laser on this next film. :wishluck:

That's what I am hoping, as I loved the X-Men and X2 movies. So if he can pull all of this cast together, deliver on a solid story and make the final product a wowserpalooza, he'll have my money and the purchase of the Ultimate DVD Set.

:wishluck: