• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 - a year overcrowded with planned comic-based movies + more

134 posts in this topic

Now With Added Batman-Superman, Here’s A Crazy List Of 2015′s Tentpole And Franchise Films

• Batman vs. Superman
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron
  • Ant Man
  • Star Wars Episode VII
  • Jurassic Park IV
  • WarCraft
  • James Bond 24
  • Pirates Of The Caribbean 5
  • Terminator
  • Independence Day 2
  • Hunger Games: Mocking Jay Part 2
  • Finding Dory
  • Assassin’s Creed
  • Fantastic Four
  • Inferno – the Da Vinci Code threequel
  • Slightly smaller or less exciting propositions, such as Kung Fu Panda 3, Smurfs 3, Alvin and the Chipmunks 4, Cinderella.

That isn't that many comic based movies. No more than last year and this year is it?

"Overcrowded with comic-based movies and more" is the catch.

But it is definitely the strength of those movies all in the same year that may lead to schedules being changed. Especially with Superman-Batman, Avengers 2, Fantastic Four and Ant-man all in the same year. Add to this Hunger Games, Pirates of the Caribbean, Finding Nemo 2 (Finding Dory) and Terminator (all well-established franchises), and there is even more of a crowded market of strong candidates.

Yeah it's alot of blockbusters. Rescheduling some would make sense. They did it with GI Joe last year. They said it was to refilm, but alot of people think they just didn't want to get murdered.

Yeah it's alot of blockbusters. Rescheduling some would make sense. They did it with GI Joe last year. They said it was to refilm, but alot of people think they just didn't want to get murdered.

Battleship tanked and Hasbro did not want two bombs in a short time span.

I think 2015 might be critical mass for comic book movies. Eventually, they will be producing so many that comic fans are going to be picking and choosing, resulting in colossal flops for films that shouldn't really flop.

You can only throw $200M budgets at so many films before you stop seeing massive attendance at every one of them.

For me?

There is a problem with the Marvel films being connected the way they are. You have to see all of them in the theater otherwise you run the risk of missing a chapter on the way to the next "event" movie.

Batman vs. Superman (Movies)

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Movies)

Ant Man (Movies)

Star Wars Episode VII (Movies)

Jurassic Park IV (Netflix)

WarCraft (Nah)

James Bond 24 (Movies skyfall was amazing and Craig Bonds keep delivering)

Pirates Of The Caribbean 5 (Netflix)

Terminator (Netflix)

Independence Day 2 (Netflix)

Hunger Games: Mocking Jay Part 2 (Nah)

Finding Dory (Netflix)

Assassin’s Creed (Nah)

Fantastic Four (Netflix)

Inferno – the Da Vinci Code threequel (Netflix)

Slightly smaller or less exciting propositions, such as Kung Fu Panda 3, Smurfs 3, Alvin and the Chipmunks 4, Cinderella. (No no no no )

I think 2015 might be critical mass for comic book movies. Eventually, they will be producing so many that comic fans are going to be picking and choosing, resulting in colossal flops for films that shouldn't really flop.

You can only throw $200M budgets at so many films before you stop seeing massive attendance at every one of them.

That's my fear right there. Instead of the news of a comic book-based movie bringing feelings of nostalgia and excitement over the characters involved, it is going to be a wait-and-see situation.

And with 2015, the articles talks about Marvel potentially moving FF to an earlier release period. Now you run the risk they take it to 2014, which is not that far away. What train wreck do we get then with so little time for scripts, casting and filming?

:(

That's my fear right there. Instead of the news of a comic book-based movie bringing feelings of nostalgia and excitement over the characters involved, it is going to be a wait-and-see situation.

And with 2015, the articles talks about Marvel potentially moving FF to an earlier release period. Now you run the risk they take it to 2014, which is not that far away. What train wreck do we get then with so little time for scripts, casting and filming?

:(

is this inevitable?

I thought Marvel didn't own the FF movie property?

They don't- not sure what he means...

doh!

Sometimes, I think people overthink things.

I think the first of these films to be pushed back will be Fantastic Four… or could it be pulled forward?

The studio that has control of the FF property is considering moving the project up.

That better?

I thought Marvel didn't own the FF movie property?

While Marvel has some creative input, they licensed out the cinematic creative rights to the FF property. This means that Fox has sole creative and distribution rights over the FF and related characters so long as the studio keeps utilizing the property. Once the contractually determined time has elapsed, and FOX has not made a film during the course of that time, the rights completely revert back to Marvel who is free to lease it out to anyone else. However, now that Marvel is making movies, they would simply keep the rights themselves under the Disney banner and fold the FF into their Avengers universe.

BTW the rights are only for live action movies, which is why cartoon spiderman can appear with cartoon Wolverine and the Avengers.

Of course there is a grey area as we will see with Quicksilver in the Avengers and a separate Quicksilver in the X-Men movies.

If I missed anything feel free to point it out. I'm going to sleep for a few hours.

marvel-character-composit.jpg

Marvel properties screen rights as of last year

• 20th Century Fox

• Daredevil: Daredevil/Matt Murdock, Elektra (Natchios), The Kingpin/Wilson Fisk, Bullseye, Jack Murdock, Karen Page, Ben Urich
    Elektra: Christine Cord/Tatoo, Typhoid Mary/Marry Alice Walker, Kirigi, Stick, Stone

• Fantastic Four: Doctor Doom/Victor von Doom, Human Torch/Johnny Storm, Invisible Woman/Susan Storm, Mr. Fantastic/Dr. Reed Richards, The Thing/Ben Grimm, Nova/Frankie Raye, Alicia Masters, Willie Lumpkin
    X-Men Mutants: [Agent Zero/Maverick/David North], Angel/Warren Worthington III, Arclight/Phillippa Sontag, Beast/Dr. Henry Phillip “Hank” McCoy, [blob/Frederick J. Dukes], [bolt/Christopher Bradley], Callisto, Colossus/Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin, Cyclops/Scott Summers, [Deadpool/Wade Wilson], Emma (Grace) Frost, Jean Grey/Phoenix, Juggernaut/Cain Marko, Gambit/Remy LeBeau, Glob Herman/Herman Gardner, Iceman/Bobby Drake, Jubilee/Jubilation Lee, Katherine “Kitty” Anne Pryde, [Kestrel/John Wraith], Lady Deathstrike/Yuriko Oyama, Leech, Magneto/Erik Magnus Lehnsherr, Mastermind/Jason (Wyngarde), Multiple Man/James Arthur Madrox, Mystique/Raven Darkholme, Nightcrawler/Kurt Wagner, Phat/William Robert “Billy-Bob” Reilly, Professor Charles Xavier, Psylocke/Elizabeth “Betsy” Braddock, Pyro/St. John Allerdyce, Quill/Max Jordan, Rogue/(Anna) Marie, Sabretooth/Victor Creed, Sebastian Hiram Shaw, [silver Fox], Siryn/Theresa Rourke Cassidy, (The) Spike, Storm/Ororo Munroe, Wolverine/Logan

• X-Men Non-Mutants: Drake Family (Steven, Madeline, Ronny), Grey Family (Dr. John, Elaine), Henry Peter Gyrich, Robert Edward Kelly, Dr. Moira Kinross MacTaggert, Dr. Kavita Rao, William Stryker, Bolivar Trask, Warren Worthington II

New Line Cinema

• Vampires: Blade, Deacon Frost, Dracula/Vlad Tepes
  • Non-Vampires: Hannibal King, Abraham Whistler [uPDATE: Since the time of writing this, The Blade rights have been transferred back into Marvel's hands.]

Sony Pictures

• Ghost Rider: Ghost Rider/Johnny Blaze, Blackheart/Legion, Phantom Rider/Carter Slade, Abigor, Gressil, Mephistopheles, Wallow, Barton Blaze, Roxanne Simpson

• Spider-Man: Spider-Man/Peter Parker, Doctor Octopus/Otto Octavius, Green Goblin/Norman Osborn, (New) Green Goblin/Harry Osborn, [The Lizard]/Dr. Curt Connors, Sandman/Flint Marko, Venom/Eddie Brock Jr., Betty Brant, Dennis Carradine (Buglar), J. Jonah Jameson, Ben Parker, May Parker, John Jameson, Joseph “Robbie” Robertson, Gwen Stacy, Mendel Stromm, Flash Thompson

Lionsgate Entertainment

• Punisher: The Punisher/Frank Castle, Jigsaw/Billy Russoti, Microchip/Linus Liberman, Joan the Mouse, Maginty, Mr. Bumpo, Spacker Dave, The Russian, Maria Elizabeth Castle, Detective Martin Soap [uPDATE: Since the time of writing this, The Punisher rights have been transferred back into Marvel's hands.]

I just hope we don't see the goose laying the golden eggs killed, or sharks being jumped, or whatever your favorite metaphor for too much of a good thing would be. To be honest I'm worried about Guardians of the Galaxy. Maybe it's just me, but why the hell anyone would look at that property and think that that should be Marvel's next film is beyond me. I hope I'm wrong and its awesome, but then again I also need prices to come down on TTA #13.

Of course there is a grey area as we will see with Quicksilver in the Avengers and a separate Quicksilver in the X-Men movies.

Someone had posted recently Whedon's reasoning of how these characters can be both Avengers and X-Men properties.

Amazing how confusing it can be who can involve a character from the same creative source.

Interesting article talking about the Marvel movie rights battles (past and present).

Coming Fight Over Marvel Movie Rights

So, what does all this have to do with a fight over movie rights? Well, as I mentioned earlier, some characters are so well-known for being part of competing franchises, they exist in a legal “grey area” and can exist in two franchises at once, provided certain rules are followed. In this case, we’re talking about Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, the mutant children of Magneto, members of the X-Men, who are also long-standing members of The Avengers. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver can be put on film by either 20th Century Fox, who owns the X-Men rights, or Marvel, who own the Avengers rights. 20th Century Fox can’t talk about the Avengers, Marvel can’t talk about them being mutants, the X-Men, or being Magneto’s kids, and neither of them want to talk about the incestuous Ultimate versions of the characters at all.

A few weeks ago, The Avengers director Joss Whedon let slip that he was considering introducing a brother and sister team for The Avengers 2, which could only mean Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. Shortly thereafter, X-Men: Days of Future Past director Bryan Singer announced the inclusion of Quicksilver in his film. Reportedly, Singer is only including Quicksilver for a single action sequence in a film already loaded down with two franchises’ worth of stars, whereas The Avengers 2 will only potentially be adding Anthony Mackie’s “Falcon” and Don Cheadle’s “War Machine”, along with the twins.

Thanks for the list Bosco.

Who owns the rights to Sub-Mariner? I know that list indicates he's with Marvel, but I've never read anything to confirm that.

I've looked at different articles online and it seems that the general consensus is (shrug)

I just pray that it's not somehow connected to Fox as part of the FF license. They would ruin him I'm sure...

Thanks for the list Bosco.

Who owns the rights to Sub-Mariner? I know that list indicates he's with Marvel, but I've never read anything to confirm that.

I've looked at different articles online and it seems that the general consensus is (shrug)

I just pray that it's not somehow connected to Fox as part of the FF license. They would ruin him I'm sure...

Universal, from this article three years ago.

Sub-Mariner Movie Still Swimming Our Way?