• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 - a year overcrowded with planned comic-based movies + more

134 posts in this topic

I think 2015 might be critical mass for comic book movies. Eventually, they will be producing so many that comic fans are going to be picking and choosing, resulting in colossal flops for films that shouldn't really flop.

You can only throw $200M budgets at so many films before you stop seeing massive attendance at every one of them.

You aren't the first to mention this. Even Lucas and Speilberg have voiced concerns for the future of blockbusters and plenty of national movie critics, directors and actors are upset about the "death" of the midsize and independent film.

When studios put so much stock into one to three movies a year, it leaves little for quirky, original movies to get made.

Maybe this is all cyclical, but it feels like we are entering a real sea change to me, akin to 75-77 with Jaws and Star Wars after The Graduate, Godfather and Easy Rider's earlier sea change.

Thanks for the list Bosco.

Who owns the rights to Sub-Mariner? I know that list indicates he's with Marvel, but I've never read anything to confirm that.

I've looked at different articles online and it seems that the general consensus is (shrug)

I just pray that it's not somehow connected to Fox as part of the FF license. They would ruin him I'm sure...

Universal, from this article three years ago.

Sub-Mariner Movie Still Swimming Our Way?

But then there's this more recent article:

Film Rights of Namor The Sub-Mariner Said to be Owned by Marvel Studios, Per CCO Joe Quesada

The speculation of Namor's film rights reverting back to Marvel:

"There has been speculation the Sub-Mariner's rights could have been returned to Marvel Studios after a past deal expired with a studio who had the licensing rights to the character, in the past."

Here's the puzzler:

"Per a ComicBookMovie.com report, Quesada has confirmed "to the best of his knowledge" Namor: The Sub-Mariner is film property of Marvel Studios."

Thanks for the list Bosco.

Who owns the rights to Sub-Mariner? I know that list indicates he's with Marvel, but I've never read anything to confirm that.

I've looked at different articles online and it seems that the general consensus is (shrug)

I just pray that it's not somehow connected to Fox as part of the FF license. They would ruin him I'm sure...

Universal, from this article three years ago.

Sub-Mariner Movie Still Swimming Our Way?

Correction. It looks like Subby reverted back to Marvel Studios in 2012.

Prince Namor The Sub-Mariner Planned For Marvel Studios Phase 3?

How confusing.

I thought Marvel didn't own the FF movie property?

They don't- not sure what he means...

doh!

Sometimes, I think people overthink things.

I think the first of these films to be pushed back will be Fantastic Four… or could it be pulled forward?

The studio that has control of the FF property is considering moving the project up.

That better?

You said Marvel would be moving the property. :baiting:

Here's the puzzler:

"Per a ComicBookMovie.com report, Quesada has confirmed "to the best of his knowledge" Namor: The Sub-Mariner is film property of Marvel Studios."

What timing! We read the same article. But then I looked for something more clear, and found that other article about Marvel Phase 3 movies.

Marvel's past financial challenges sure made it interesting to figure out the movie details.

While Marvel has some creative input, they licensed out the cinematic creative rights to the FF property. This means that Fox has sole creative and distribution rights over the FF and related characters so long as the studio keeps utilizing the property. Once the contractually determined time has elapsed, and FOX has not made a film during the course of that time, the rights completely revert back to Marvel who is free to lease it out to anyone else. However, now that Marvel is making movies, they would simply keep the rights themselves under the Disney banner and fold the FF into their Avengers universe.

BTW the rights are only for live action movies, which is why cartoon spiderman can appear with cartoon Wolverine and the Avengers.

Of course there is a grey area as we will see with Quicksilver in the Avengers and a separate Quicksilver in the X-Men movies.

If I missed anything feel free to point it out. I'm going to sleep for a few hours.

Make sure Nick reads your post. :whistle:

It would be in Disney's best interests, by the way, to spend some of that Avengers bank to get back the rights to Spidey, X-Men and FF.

Amen to that!

But reading some of the articles this morning, there is a lot of bad blood between the studios that seems to be based on pride, spite over not being allowed to share characters, and greed.

Disney could bring a massive purse to the table to sort this out. But some mentioned tens of millions of dollars to make it happen.

I'm sure the Iron Man and Avengers (and standalone movies) franchises make it very tempting to take on that fight.

Here's the puzzler:

What timing! We read the same article. But then I looked for something more clear, and found that other article about Marvel Phase 3 movies.

Marvel's past financial challenges sure made it interesting to figure out the movie details.

The last article you mentioned lists Subby as a Marvel movie solely on speculation.

"Buried in an Iron Man 3 article in the new issue of Empire Magazine is some speculation about upcoming Marvel Studios movies. While Empire clearly labels the piece as speculation, they obviously know a little bit more about Marvel "

Nothing conclusive really. Joey Q thinking Marvel probably owns the rights, to Esquire speculating on a future Marvel movie. I'm still confused.

While Marvel has some creative input, they licensed out the cinematic creative rights to the FF property. This means that Fox has sole creative and distribution rights over the FF and related characters so long as the studio keeps utilizing the property. Once the contractually determined time has elapsed, and FOX has not made a film during the course of that time, the rights completely revert back to Marvel who is free to lease it out to anyone else. However, now that Marvel is making movies, they would simply keep the rights themselves under the Disney banner and fold the FF into their Avengers universe.

BTW the rights are only for live action movies, which is why cartoon spiderman can appear with cartoon Wolverine and the Avengers.

Of course there is a grey area as we will see with Quicksilver in the Avengers and a separate Quicksilver in the X-Men movies.

If I missed anything feel free to point it out. I'm going to sleep for a few hours.

Make sure Nick reads your post. :whistle:

lol

You knew what I meant, ball buster. :baiting:

The studio controlling FF is considering moving the FF out of the glut that is coming. Making it sooner would be a dangerous option. Next time, I'll include a disclaimer.

"[insert movie property owner here *] is considering a FF schedule change."

* "Property Owner" henceforth shall be a term meaning at a given point in time the controlling party that has the legal, financial and capability rights to a given Marvel property, which may change based on their ability to deliver a film within the agreed-up timeline with Marvel Entertainment Group or any of its legal entities at a given point of time that a binding document was signed for the purposes of clarification of character rights and controls, in addition to financial gains for the involved parties.

The last article you mentioned lists Subby as a Marvel movie solely on speculation.

"Buried in an Iron Man 3 article in the new issue of Empire Magazine is some speculation about upcoming Marvel Studios movies. While Empire clearly labels the piece as speculation, they obviously know a little bit more about Marvel "

Nothing conclusive really. Joey Q thinking Marvel probably owns the rights, to Esquire speculating on a future Marvel movie. I'm still confused.

You are not kidding. I have found four separate articles all referencing that Joe Q. quote to better understand who owns the movie rights to Namor.

Another one here

Another character who is often strongly associated with the Fantastic Four is Prince Namor, the Sub-Mariner. However, the Atlantean monarch’s rights are separate from what Fox owns. Back in September 2006, Universal Pictures had announced a Sub-Mariner movie with Jonathan Mostow signed to direct and rewrite a screenplay by David Self. However, as of May 2012 Marvel’s Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada has stated that “to the best of his knowledge” the rights to Namor, the Sub-Mariner currently resides with Marvel. Further evidence that Namor has reverted back to Marvel can be found at the end of Iron Man 2 in the scene where Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) is debriefed by Nick Fury of SHIELD. On a computer screen in the background a world map noting several areas that the spy organization is monitoring we can see one area in the Atlantic Ocean marked, supposedly the location of Namor’s undersea kingdom of Atlantis.

It would be in Disney's best interests, by the way, to spend some of that Avengers bank to get back the rights to Spidey, X-Men and FF.

Amen to that!

But reading some of the articles this morning, there is a lot of bad blood between the studios that seems to be based on pride, spite over not being allowed to share characters, and greed.

Disney could bring a massive purse to the table to sort this out. But some mentioned tens of millions of dollars to make it happen.

I'm sure the Iron Man and Avengers (and standalone movies) franchises make it very tempting to take on that fight.

The one thing DC can stomp Marvel on right now is their own rights to their own cohesive universe.

Having 3 different movie companies own their three (of four) tent pole properties (Spidey, X-Men, FF) is absurd. Surely they see that.

I want to see.a Spidey movie where he bags a purse snatcher as the FF stop an alien invasion far in the background and we pan to see Daredevil fighting Typhoid Mary three blocks over as the Avengers take out Ultron overhead.

I'm not asking for much.

You are not kidding. I have found four separate articles all referencing that Joe Q. quote to better understand who owns the movie rights to Namor.

Another one here

Another character who is often strongly associated with the Fantastic Four is Prince Namor, the Sub-Mariner. However, the Atlantean monarch’s rights are separate from what Fox owns. Back in September 2006, Universal Pictures had announced a Sub-Mariner movie with Jonathan Mostow signed to direct and rewrite a screenplay by David Self. However, as of May 2012 Marvel’s Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada has stated that “to the best of his knowledge” the rights to Namor, the Sub-Mariner currently resides with Marvel. Further evidence that Namor has reverted back to Marvel can be found at the end of Iron Man 2 in the scene where Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) is debriefed by Nick Fury of SHIELD. On a computer screen in the background a world map noting several areas that the spy organization is monitoring we can see one area in the Atlantic Ocean marked, supposedly the location of Namor’s undersea kingdom of Atlantis.

:P

You would think if Marvel reclaimed the property their would be some sort of official announcement or press release. Subby has to be one of the bigger properties out there without a movie in development.

Having 3 different movie companies own their three (of four) tent pole properties (Spidey, X-Men, FF) is absurd. Surely they see that.

Oh, I know. It is a situation born out of the Marvel bankruptcy days that it is still working through. And now with a parent company to help them feel more financially stable, Marvel surely must have a strategy in mind to get them all back over time.

But it does make for confusing times.

:P

You would think if Marvel reclaimed the property their would be some sort of official announcement or press release. Subby has to be one of the bigger properties out there without a movie in development.

This 2011 article says Marvel Studios/Disney have the rights to Namor.

Casting Call: Namor The Sub-Mariner

But I sure would rather see something from Marvel clarifying the ownership.

Amen to that!

The one thing DC can stomp Marvel on right now is their own rights to their own cohesive universe.

I'm not sure if owning the rights to the Atom, Aquaman and Bat-Mite is something to get too excited about.

marvel-character-composit.jpg

Marvel properties screen rights as of last year

• 20th Century Fox

• Daredevil: Daredevil/Matt Murdock, Elektra (Natchios), The Kingpin/Wilson Fisk, Bullseye, Jack Murdock, Karen Page, Ben Urich
    Elektra: Christine Cord/Tatoo, Typhoid Mary/Marry Alice Walker, Kirigi, Stick, Stone

• Fantastic Four: Doctor Doom/Victor von Doom, Human Torch/Johnny Storm, Invisible Woman/Susan Storm, Mr. Fantastic/Dr. Reed Richards, The Thing/Ben Grimm, Nova/Frankie Raye, Alicia Masters, Willie Lumpkin
    X-Men Mutants: [Agent Zero/Maverick/David North], Angel/Warren Worthington III, Arclight/Phillippa Sontag, Beast/Dr. Henry Phillip “Hank” McCoy, [blob/Frederick J. Dukes], [bolt/Christopher Bradley], Callisto, Colossus/Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin, Cyclops/Scott Summers, [Deadpool/Wade Wilson], Emma (Grace) Frost, Jean Grey/Phoenix, Juggernaut/Cain Marko, Gambit/Remy LeBeau, Glob Herman/Herman Gardner, Iceman/Bobby Drake, Jubilee/Jubilation Lee, Katherine “Kitty” Anne Pryde, [Kestrel/John Wraith], Lady Deathstrike/Yuriko Oyama, Leech, Magneto/Erik Magnus Lehnsherr, Mastermind/Jason (Wyngarde), Multiple Man/James Arthur Madrox, Mystique/Raven Darkholme, Nightcrawler/Kurt Wagner, Phat/William Robert “Billy-Bob” Reilly, Professor Charles Xavier, Psylocke/Elizabeth “Betsy” Braddock, Pyro/St. John Allerdyce, Quill/Max Jordan, Rogue/(Anna) Marie, Sabretooth/Victor Creed, Sebastian Hiram Shaw, [silver Fox], Siryn/Theresa Rourke Cassidy, (The) Spike, Storm/Ororo Munroe, Wolverine/Logan

• X-Men Non-Mutants: Drake Family (Steven, Madeline, Ronny), Grey Family (Dr. John, Elaine), Henry Peter Gyrich, Robert Edward Kelly, Dr. Moira Kinross MacTaggert, Dr. Kavita Rao, William Stryker, Bolivar Trask, Warren Worthington II

New Line Cinema

• Vampires: Blade, Deacon Frost, Dracula/Vlad Tepes
  • Non-Vampires: Hannibal King, Abraham Whistler [uPDATE: Since the time of writing this, The Blade rights have been transferred back into Marvel's hands.]

Sony Pictures

• Ghost Rider: Ghost Rider/Johnny Blaze, Blackheart/Legion, Phantom Rider/Carter Slade, Abigor, Gressil, Mephistopheles, Wallow, Barton Blaze, Roxanne Simpson

• Spider-Man: Spider-Man/Peter Parker, Doctor Octopus/Otto Octavius, Green Goblin/Norman Osborn, (New) Green Goblin/Harry Osborn, [The Lizard]/Dr. Curt Connors, Sandman/Flint Marko, Venom/Eddie Brock Jr., Betty Brant, Dennis Carradine (Buglar), J. Jonah Jameson, Ben Parker, May Parker, John Jameson, Joseph “Robbie” Robertson, Gwen Stacy, Mendel Stromm, Flash Thompson

Lionsgate Entertainment

• Punisher: The Punisher/Frank Castle, Jigsaw/Billy Russoti, Microchip/Linus Liberman, Joan the Mouse, Maginty, Mr. Bumpo, Spacker Dave, The Russian, Maria Elizabeth Castle, Detective Martin Soap [uPDATE: Since the time of writing this, The Punisher rights have been transferred back into Marvel's hands.]

Great list! Thanks.

Amen to that!

It is absurd but the cost of reclaiming those properties is more abusrd.

I don't think the cohesive universe argument applies beyond the comic fans. It's cool that DC owns the rights to their main characters and it stinks that Marvel doesn't. However, Marvel won't sweat it because they can just development lesser properties (GotG, Ant-Man) and still out perform Fox and Sony.