• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did pressing a comic before every sub become the norm?

923 posts in this topic

Did we lose some posts from between 9:30 and 12:30? What happened to originalisbest's post "It is only somewhat surprising to find you're into scatology. There's a sniffing comic book pages joke here methinks... but carry on with your dreams"?

Yeah, I think some posts have gone missing but there was nothing that was actually memorable enough for me to remember what they were.

So far this thread is a an unusually lengthy and civil discussion of opposing points-of-view and interesting detail.

That seems to be intolerable to some who contribute nothing but condescending taunts in hopes some participant will take bait, over-react, ending a conversation they can't stand and getting locking the thread.

Here's hoping the Mods continue to keep cool heads, clean out troll-bait as needed, allowing knowledge to flow. :wishluck:

(thumbs u

Did we lose some posts from between 9:30 and 12:30? What happened to originalisbest's post "It is only somewhat surprising to find you're into scatology. There's a sniffing comic book pages joke here methinks... but carry on with your dreams"?

Yeah, I think some posts have gone missing but there was nothing that was actually memorable enough for me to remember what they were.

So far this thread is a an unusually lengthy and civil discussion of opposing points-of-view and interesting detail.

That seems to be intolerable to some who contribute nothing but condescending taunts in hopes some participant will take bait, over-react, ending a conversation they can't stand and getting the thread locked.

Here's hoping the Mods continue to keep cool heads, clean out troll-bait as needed, allowing knowledge to flow. :wishluck:

(thumbs u

It's both bizarre and funny how a teeny handful CAN'T STAND open discussion. As if the slightest threat to "don't think, buy" mode scares the living hell out of them.

An odd kind of nutty, for sure. :screwy:

Had the offered been accepted....an argument over grade would have soon followed...and in the absence of encapsulation, the negotiation would still be underway today. insane:

Chris, here's an interesting chain of historical events, to give a better perspective of time and place.

In 1997, Nic Cage bought his Action Comics 1 from Sotheby's for $150,000. That turned out to be the record-breaking copy discovered two years ago in a storage locker, and which sold for over $2M.

The book disappeared three years after Cage bought it, and interestingly enough, Metro's account describes it as a VF copy.

We can only speculate on the insurance terms, but the payout likely did not exceed $250,000 dollars, and if anyone has ever dealt with adjusters, the amount was probably closer to the Sotheby's action value, possibly with a conservatively apportioned amount of interest applied to cover the three years of ownership and a first rights of refusal term to buy back the copy if it ever reappeared.

The timeframe this all took place starts two years before CGC opened it's doors, and we now know the Action #1 sold as a 9.0, which arguably makes it a very competitive copy to the Church (rumored to be a 9.2) and the "other" high grade Action #1 Anderson turned down. So a top 5 copy to be sure.

Here's were we separate the peppercorn from the bird mess. I'd find it difficult to believe the insurance industry, who probably would have employed the best resources, bean counters and input to appraise Cage's lost copy in 2000, to ever have considered a $1M or $2M bounty on a NM Action Comics 1 as a credible data point.

Cage's copy was not the Church copy. This argument is moot.

Had the offered been accepted....an argument over grade would have soon followed...and in the absence of encapsulation, the negotiation would still be underway today. insane:

Chris, here's an interesting chain of historical events, to give a better perspective of time and place.

In 1997, Nic Cage bought his Action Comics 1 from Sotheby's for $150,000. That turned out to be the record-breaking copy discovered two years ago in a storage locker, and which sold for over $2M.

The book disappeared three years after Cage bought it, and interestingly enough, Metro's account describes it as a VF copy.

We can only speculate on the insurance terms, but the payout likely did not exceed $250,000 dollars, and if anyone has ever dealt with adjusters, the amount was probably closer to the Sotheby's action value, possibly with a conservatively apportioned amount of interest applied to cover the three years of ownership and a first rights of refusal term to buy back the copy if it ever reappeared.

The timeframe this all took place starts two years before CGC opened it's doors, and we now know the Action #1 sold as a 9.0, which arguably makes it a very competitive copy to the Church (rumored to be a 9.2) and the "other" high grade Action #1 Anderson turned down. So a top 5 copy to be sure.

Here's were we separate the peppercorn from the bird mess. I'd find it difficult to believe the insurance industry, who probably would have employed the best resources, bean counters and input to appraise Cage's lost copy in 2000, to ever have considered a $1M or $2M bounty on a NM Action Comics 1 as a credible data point.

So is suggesting a value on something that isn't for sale.

An offer that was made and turned down is quite relative.

Not in the original context it was used. It was cherry-picked by Flinstoner as a way to single me out, and an attempt to ridicule me.

I've stated my opinion. Here is the post.

At this point its been twisted and reshaped into something I have no interest in discussing any further.

Not in the original context it was used. It was cherry-picked by Flinstoner as a way to single me out, and an attempt to ridicule me.

At this point its been twisted and reshaped into something I have no interest in discussing any further.

Yep, when you can't twist words to try and dodge being called out on your BS, just decline to discuss it any further. A sound approach. :)

Yep, when you can't twist words to try and dodge being called out on your BS, just decline to discuss it any further. A sound approach. :)

There is nothing to debate because the contextual talking point was there was no $1M sale in comics before certification. I have no idea how the discussion veered into phantom offers and bounty's. No sale occurred. Period.

Joe, just putting aside for a second what certification has done, and focusing on whether big money was in the hobby, I do believe the Church Action #1 was and is for sale for a "life changing" amount (I believe that is a quote from the owner).

That there was at least one $1MIL standing cash offer for a NM copy shows that someone (and not just any "someone" but someone who was known to actively throw big money at comics) was willing to pay that money for a copy. It just wasn't considered life changing enough to DA.

I personally would consider that an accurate benchmark based on what I know about those people. That's my 2c

Certainly, even a 'sale' is not often an accurate benchmark as some are known to fudge numbers. In the case of the Action #1 scenario, I trust it to be just as accurate as a sale.

Now, you can argue that grading increase prices, but I believe it did so because it brought in "trust" and made it more accessible to the general public. the same trust that a buyer of an Action #1 would have if he was meeting someone to inspect the book and hand over that cool $1MIL in person. It's that "trust" that drove prices up.

Joe, just putting aside for a second what certification has done, and focusing on whether big money was in the hobby, I do believe the Church Action #1 was and is for sale for a "life changing" amount (I believe that is a quote from the owner).

That there was at least one $1MIL standing cash offer for a NM copy shows that someone (and not just any "someone" but someone who was known to actively throw big money at comics) was willing to pay that money for a copy. It just wasn't considered life changing enough to DA.

I personally would consider that an accurate benchmark. That's my 2c

Now, you can argue that grading increase prices, but I believe it did so because it brought in "trust" and made it more accessible to the general public. the same trust that a buyer of an Action #1 would have if he was meeting someone to inspect the book and hand over that cool $1MIL in person. It's that "trust" that drove prices up.

No doubt slabbing has increased prices dramatically. That's a fact.

But had there never been a comic in a slab, there would have been a $1 million sale, though probably not before now. The Church AC1 isn't for sale, nor would it have been on Earth 2 where there are no slabs. On the day it is sold, here or on Earth 2, there would be a $1 million sale of a comic book. That's a fact.

Trying to veer this discussion towards something more fruitful, has CGC ever thought about testing out certain services. For example how about scanning books over a declared FMV then adding the scan to the grading notes that people are currently paying for. It would cost CGC a little more, but that could pay off in the purchasing of the grading notes/scans.

I believe its something worth testing the waters with. hm

Trying to veer this discussion towards something more fruitful, has CGC ever thought about testing out certain services. For example how about scanning books over a declared FMV then adding the scan to the grading notes that people are currently paying for. It would cost CGC a little more, but that could pay off in the purchasing of the grading notes/scans.

I pitched this very idea to Steve Eichenbaum, literally within the first few months of CGC opening it's doors. I saw a huge benefit, especially in loss/theft insurance claims, but also to support the transactional aspects of person-to-person trading.

The whole idea went nowhere because I insisted on him signing an NDA (which he wouldn't do).

CGC offers a scanning service now. It's just not standard practice, regardless of the FMV. But I also know they do it for some books without the owner's permission. How? Cause they scanned a book of mine without permission and made it one of their books of the day/month/whatever.

I wasn't singling you out. And I certainly wasn't trying to ridicule you. I was simply refuting your statement that CGC is the sole reason that comics have sold for $1,000,000. We would have had a million dollar comic sale whether CGC was around or not. Encapsulation may have sped up the process but it absolutely was not the sole reason.

CGC offers a scanning service now. It's just not standard practice, regardless of the FMV. But I also know they do it for some books without the owner's permission. How? Cause they scanned a book of mine without permission and made it one of their books of the day/month/whatever.

The software I had developed was eventually adopted as an asset management solution by the insurance industry. The premise was simply to centralize all the information concerning their slabs, and allow them to recall any/all information, including front/rear scans, if required.

I saw this eventually being adopted as a service bureau model where adjusters could call to verify claimant loss/theft. Keep in mind that at that time, scans weren't as regularly used as they are today to buy/sell, and the idea that CGC took care of this for it's customers would have certainly been something worth exploring, even if it were used as an on-demand pricing model.

I really don't know whether they currently have (or ever had) anything in place that resembles what I described.

Have you ever tried calling them and asking them for a digital copy of that scan? I would think at the very least, they should have provided you a complimentary copy seeing that they used your scan on their website.

I always wanted RFID somehow added to track the slabs/comics, but it didn`t seem to be popular with the majority, so I dropped the subject. ;)

I've never submitted anything that would be considered as book of the day. :facepalm:

I'd find a good lawyer and sue.

I'd find a good lawyer and sue.

I call BS. I've never seen a book that TP has that is worth scanning. :baiting::grin: