• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did pressing a comic before every sub become the norm?

923 posts in this topic

Not another pressing thread!!!!!!!! :fear:

Don't worry, pressing threads don't have discussions about pressing anymore. They just have CG chat like all the other CG threads do.

Boring?

God forbid that we should actually discuss comics and the comic market when we could be posting as-funny-as-kidney-stones memes, spouting 'pernts' at every turn like plankton with tourettes, contributing to birthday threads for boarders who haven't posted since 1814, and attempting to get each and every thread locked so that people can up their score in the Vegetable Challenge.

Boring?

God forbid that we should actually discuss comics and the comic market when we could be posting as-funny-as-kidney-stones memes, spouting 'pernts' at every turn like plankton with tourettes, contributing to birthday threads for boarders who haven't posted since 1814, and attempting to get each and every thread locked so that people can up their score in the Vegetable Challenge.

:golfclap:

I basically think of pressing books as an organized criminal enterprise. I believe the people who participate could be charged under RICO. The people who press books and sell them without disclosing the pressing are probably guilty of larceny by false pretenses. The people who press books for pay know full well that many of the books they press will be sold without disclosure of the pressing, so I believe they could be charged as well.

Boring?

:roflmao:

Boring?

(worship)

Boring?

I agree. :)

I basically think of pressing books as an organized criminal enterprise. I believe the people who participate could be charged under RICO. The people who press books and sell them without disclosing the pressing are probably guilty of larceny by false pretenses. The people who press books for pay know full well that many of the books they press will be sold without disclosure of the pressing, so I believe they could be charged as well.

I consider this hyperbole in the extreme.

Boring?

I agree. :)

I agree on the forum conduct issue but I still think pressing is boring. It has been debated ad infinitum with few original ideas expressed on the topic.

Boring?

It's nice to hear from you again. I was growing concerned.

Until the CGC stops significantly down grading books for defects that are difficult to see with the naked, I say, "Press them all."

Now, when I say pressing, I am referring to the proper form of pressing and not the kind where defects become invisible or fall into black hole of nonexistence if moved to the back due to an artificial spine roll pressing.

There are books where pressing won't help the CGC grade, but it sure does improve the eye appeal.I don't think I've had a modern submission where 99% of the books weren't pressed. I have every Signature Series book pressed as the cost of an SS turd is unrecoverable.

Boring?

I've been here a year though, and I have to say that pressing threads are so redundant. They are like a dime a dozen. I can only imagine what it is like for the none noobs.

I also think some of these threads are started by the regulars under shill accounts. They just want to instigate an argument for the sake or argueing. Didn't you notice how many threads started by fairly new accounts after all the Mod complaining? Seems odd to me hm

But on topic, if I was to get a modern book graded, I'd have it pressed. It is the norm. Moderns are near worthless if not 9.8 or better. Moderns are mostly investment for me at this point. I see them as books I can flip in to silver Spideys.

Now when I buy a silver age book, I'm not going to have it pressed. I'm buying two things- either graded keys or raw readers. I see no reason to press a silver book because chances are I'm not ever going to sell it.

I did have a copy of 121 pressed. I was curious about the process and wanted to see what kind of bump it could get. It went from a 9.0 to a 9.2. I'm happy with that, but honestly it didn't do much for me.

I have a copy of the JSC Midtown variant for 700 and Superior 1. I'd like to get those both pressed, signed, and graded. They are going for big money right now and I could see flipping them for a solid ASM key.

Does that make me a bad person?

That's nothing. Do you not remember when pressing was being compared to back alley abortion jobs?

In some cases I actually prefer my books pressed and send even those I wish to keep for a smooshing. Others don't and the idea is antithetical to their collecting ethos/ideal. That is the debate, it is boring.

I think it has become obligatory as through some submitters you receive 20% off cgc fees. Pressing is $12-10 a pop, 20% off an economy fast track submission is $9. Spending an extra $1-3 for a potential grade bump is attractive.

That's nothing. Do you not remember when pressing was being compared to back alley abortion jobs?

lol

I have a copy of the JSC Midtown variant for 700 and Superior 1. I'd like to get those both pressed, signed, and graded. They are going for big money right now and I could see flipping them for a solid ASM key.

Do you plan to disclose the pressing when you sell? If not, you are basically victimizing the buyer with a con game.

I guess the question becomes, what kind of person do you want to be? Do you want to be the type of person who treats others fairly, or do you want to be the type of person who victimizes others for his own interests? The guy in Cleveland who kept three women locked in his basement for ten years falls into the latter category. Is that the kind of company you want to be in?

Do you plan to disclose the pressing when you sell? If not, you are basically victimizing the buyer with a con game.

I guess the question becomes, what kind of person do you want to be? Do you want to be the type of person who treats others fairly, or do you want to be the type of person who victimizes others for his own interests? The guy in Cleveland who kept three women locked in his basement for ten years falls into the latter category. Is that the kind of company you want to be in?

lol I can't take that seriously. I must assume this is intentionally inflammatory.