• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pontoon's Power Packed Boston Comic Con Report 2013

82 posts in this topic

Thanks for the photos!

I like the ones of the yard.

Those tomatoes will one day become part of a delicious tomato, cheese, and mayo sandwich.

:applause::cloud9:

Great report, Rich!

I wish I had been first to say how much I enjoyed your garden pics, but let me be first to say your Chaykin story made me laugh.

Its funny now, but it honestly wasn't at the time. I was getting very, very grouchy.

He had maybe 5 guys hovering around the table, with maybe 2 people in front of us. Five, ten, fifteen minutes pass, line doesn’t move. More people are lining up behind us. He’s sketching a little, but seems to be drawing one line at a time and then stopping to gesticulate and emphasize whatever point he is making so that a 5 minute sketch becomes a 50 minute sketch. Maybe another 20 minutes goes by, and there’s still no forward motion, just talking from Howard with intermittent comments from the fans up front around his table. Finally realizing he’s got a small crowd in line, he stops to tell people to squeeze on in if they’d like to get in on the conversation. Meanwhile, the line doesn’t move an inch.

Understand I’ve stood in long lines for artists signing and doing sketches (Perez, McGuinness et al) and know what to expect but this was interminable because it wasn’t moving the slightest. People behind us are getting annoyed, too.

He eventually finishes the sketch and keeps on talking to the crew stationed around his table before pulling out a board and starting another sketch while carrying on with the same guys. I reflexively slapped my forehead.

Finally, after an hour maybe, autographs get mentioned and Howard exclaims “Oh! Anybody who wants just a signature, just come on up and I’ll do it now. Once I start talking, I get caught up…”

He seems like a very nice man who loves comics and obviously enjoys meeting fans, it just could have been a organized a tad better if he had a handler or something.

Ouch. I'm sure it wasn't your intent, but between the parking, strollers, crowds and long lines (and you didn't even mention the bad food and the smells) I really don't miss attending more shows.

Pontoon didn't smell too bad, he had obviously showered within the past week or so.

How was his stroller situation?

After an hour of battling crowds I refused to push him around in it any more.

More than fair. More than fair.

It was, especially with his insistence I yell "Make way for the bronies!!" as we made our way through the crowd.

Thanks for the photos!

Those tomatoes will one day become part of a delicious tomato, cheese, and mayo sandwich.

:applause::cloud9:

Great report, Rich!

I wish I had been first to say how much I enjoyed your garden pics, but let me be first to say your Chaykin story made me laugh.

Its funny now, but it honestly wasn't at the time. I was getting very, very grouchy.

He had maybe 5 guys hovering around the table, with maybe 2 people in front of us. Five, ten, fifteen minutes pass, line doesn’t move. More people are lining up behind us. He’s sketching a little, but seems to be drawing one line at a time and then stopping to gesticulate and emphasize whatever point he is making so that a 5 minute sketch becomes a 50 minute sketch. Maybe another 20 minutes goes by, and there’s still no forward motion, just talking from Howard with intermittent comments from the fans up front around his table. Finally realizing he’s got a small crowd in line, he stops to tell people to squeeze on in if they’d like to get in on the conversation. Meanwhile, the line doesn’t move an inch.

Understand I’ve stood in long lines for artists signing and doing sketches (Perez, McGuinness et al) and know what to expect but this was interminable because it wasn’t moving the slightest. People behind us are getting annoyed, too.

He eventually finishes the sketch and keeps on talking to the crew stationed around his table before pulling out a board and starting another sketch while carrying on with the same guys. I reflexively slapped my forehead.

Finally, after an hour maybe, autographs get mentioned and Howard exclaims “Oh! Anybody who wants just a signature, just come on up and I’ll do it now. Once I start talking, I get caught up…”

He seems like a very nice man who loves comics and obviously enjoys meeting fans, it just could have been a organized a tad better if he had a handler or something.

Ouch. I'm sure it wasn't your intent, but between the parking, strollers, crowds and long lines (and you didn't even mention the bad food and the smells) I really don't miss attending more shows.

Pontoon didn't smell too bad, he had obviously showered within the past week or so.

How was his stroller situation?

After an hour of battling crowds I refused to push him around in it any more.

More than fair. More than fair.

It was, especially with his insistence I yell "Make way for the bronies!!" as we made our way through the crowd.

Now, I think you are just protesting too much.

It's okay. Friendship is magic.

Looks like it was a great con. Thought about going, but was just too busy this past weekend. I see from the pic there was a nice 9.6 Brave and the Bold #85 to be had.

That said, it’s of course a good thing attendance was so high. I was told Saturday was 17k, a very respectable number. All of the dealers I spoke with did well. I spent a lot of time at the Toon Tumblers booth and also relieved underthebigw for a bit and business was brisk and constant. I’d never seen him that busy in Boston before.

I also noticed everybody called them “cups.” Cups? Cups? They’re pint glasses. Or glasses. CKB explained it’s a regionalism. (shrug) I’ve lived in MA my whole life but always called a cup a cup and a glass a glass. Though I did say “tonic” as a young man when referring to soda.

Here's a shot to of the TT booth:

ToonTumblers.jpg

:applause: cups have handles. These are definately "pint glasses" !!

The strip was akin to Boylston or Landsdowne street, with restaurants and bars with 45 minute to 2 hour waits, red velvet ropes and lots of girls in short, tight dresses out for a big night on the town. On the way there, I got up some pointers on picking up girls NY-style from Jeff and Bob. No comic nerds they!

For the first time in years I had the house to myself Sat night/Sunday, so Jeff, Bob and I took full advantage. I saw many lithe, shapely and buxom femmes on the floor. I did speak to the vampire on the right. I was thrilled to see some ripening tomatoes.

Comic3.jpg

Tomatoes.jpg

OMG Richard! How could you!

Fun with words.

Looked like I missed another fun Boston Con! :sorry:

Nice report, thanks. I miss Boston a lot.

Do the guys from Bedrock Comics still run this show? I hope so, nice guys. Amazing how this show has grown.

I think so. I know the were posting a lot on the Boston Comic-Con facebook page with updates after it had to be canceled back in April. And they were at the show; I closed out a my trip by buying a pile of low-mid grade bronze age stuff from them for dirt cheap.

Once inside, I reported for duty at GACollectibles HQ. A lighter workload than usual meant I actually could enjoy the show for a change. With the enormous guest list in 2012, last year was pretty crazy and I didn’t have much time for anything other than hustling.

First out of the gate I found Jeff at the Hotflips table and made sure to stock up on the supplies I wanted to avoid anything selling out. Buying boards at a show can save a lot of dough on shipping. It was sad not to see Charles, but somebody had to make posts in the Comic Events Forum.

BCChotflips.jpg

Cool Dada!

+1

Makes me fondly remember the ridiculously sturdy Japanese Ultraman books I got in Hawaii as a kid. I LOVED those and miss them. I couldn't read a single word, but I didn't need to. They were AWESOME.

I keep meaning to research and maybe find some, but don't know what they're called hm

Thanks for the photos!

Indeed they will, but the mayo will be in a jar far, far away. Can't stand it. I'll use some fresh mozzarella, basil from the garden and a vinaigrette.

ToonTumblers.jpg

:applause: cups have handles. These are definately "pint glasses" !!

The smiling woman! :roflmao:doh!

I didn't even know she was looking until I downloaded from my camera. I was in the aisle, and just lifted the camera over my head and estimated the angle to hold it at.

I believe Antonio from the CGC table got a shot of himself next to Gumby, who I heard on the radio the following day. He was an 18 year old high school student who doesn't have nor want a girlfriend.