• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lynde, RIP

2 posts in this topic

I don't know how many people on this list loved the strip "Rick O'Shay," but it was a highlight of my daily comic read for years. It started as a more or less modern day "cartoony" strip, but morphed into a more serious style set in the old west. That's the version that I liked best.

Awhile back, I saw that Stan was selling art on eBay and I contacted him. With a little prodding, he created one of my favorite pieces of OA as a commission - a Christmas scene with Rick's family including Hipshot Percussion and Belle Starr.

I've never read his novels, but my mom is a big Western reader and she really liked them.

On top of it, he was a really nice person though my contacts were limited to e-mail and FB.

Christmas in Conniption - The description explains the piece.

ChristmasInConniptionByStanLynde.jpg

Rick O'Shay - Most of his strips were lost in a fire. Read the description for what I like about this one despite the absence of the major characters.

Lynde,%20Stan%20-%20Rick%20O-Shay.jpg

Sad news indeed. I don't own any Stan Lynde OA (due to the limited supply I never found anything for sale that struck a chord with me) but I had the privilege of meeting him at convention in Stockholm 1993 when he was a guest of honor and kindly inscribed my copy of "Rick O'Shay, Hipshot and Me".

Rick O'Shay ran as a backup in the swedish Phantom comic book for years and years so I believe it is OK to say that Stan Lynde is something of a household name over here. There were even a total of at least five collections published in the 80's from two different publishers:

d1bb474d2e11ea699ab350c3e4c56739058cc1f60e2cf0be816498ce.jpeg

Very nice commission you got there, BTW. :)