• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics pressing - slabs

62 posts in this topic

but CGC defines a restorative process as one that adds something to the comic in order to restore it.
Is this CGC new definition of restoration ? :o

I hope not since it would then exclude trimming.. :ohnoez:

:)

CGC - An Overview of Comic Book Restoration

"CGC defines restoration as treatments intended to return the comic book to a known or assumed state through the addition of non-original material."

but CGC defines a restorative process as one that adds something to the comic in order to restore it.
Is this CGC new definition of restoration ? :o

I hope not since it would then exclude trimming.. :ohnoez:

I think they classify trimming as destruction rather than restoration but they still give it the restored label.

.... which always seemed to me as semantics in order for everything to suit the definitions that they wanted. 2c

I'm going to say it before someone else does.....

Great! Just what we needed. Another thread about pressing :banana:

Sorry, Leon - Had to do it lol

Pressing slabs. So this is different.

Prior to CGC, pressing was considered to be restoration and still is by some collectors but CGC does not consider pressing to be restoration and state that they are unable to detect it consistently.

There are many informative threads about it on the boards which can be found with the search function (remember that you can only search a two year radius in one search) but some have been deleted now and many of them have the information buried in lots of bickering as it is a very heated subject of discussion.

Personally, I consider it to be restoration as the process restores a comic to a previous appearance but CGC defines a restorative process as one that adds something to the comic in order to restore it.

Doesn't pressing add heat that was originally lost? lol

Not to mention moisture. :whistle:

Getting wet always adds something.

Pressed properly or not? Because there's a bunch of these comics with 'maverick staples' that wind up looking like this after a pressing.

BC pic?

Better still, here is the book before pressing. The Worldwide partnership referred to these as 'maverick staples', because their indentation often gets worse with pressing:

FF36staplebefore.jpg

Pressed properly or not? Because there's a bunch of these comics with 'maverick staples' that wind up looking like this after a pressing.

BC pic?

Better still, here is the book before pressing. Matt and Steve called these 'maverick staples', because their indentation typically gets worse with pressing:

FF36staplebefore.jpg

There's a way to press a book that doesn't do this to the staples nor crush the spines.

BC pic?

Better still, here is the book before pressing. Matt and Steve called these 'maverick staples', because their indentation typically gets worse with pressing:

There's a way to press a book that doesn't do this to the staples nor crush the spines.

Tell it to the CGC in-house lead presser, as it's his work.

And if you think Joe's perfect, talk to him and he'll be honest and admit he's not.

BC pic?

Tell it to the CGC in-house lead presser, as it's his work.

And if you think Joe's perfect, talk to him and he'll be honest and admit he's not.

Matt put a 5" spine split on a 9.8 $1000+ book of mine, so I can completely sympathize.

I didn't even get a "sorry" out of it. Just took it up the .

No presser is perfect. Mistakes happen. It's unfortunate, but it's a fact.

However, crushed, cracked spines and indented staples don't have to happen.