• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Capitalization consequences of Ebay Kicking off 15,000 sellers....

128 posts in this topic

Fail. One person is just selling that NM #98 for less. (fill in whatever item you want to talk about).

Is there a set price for everything? For anything?

No.

Nonsense.

I do woodworking in my spare time and am a big fan of the Festool line of tools. Any store that carries the Festool brand needs to sell the tools at MSRP - if they discount for any reason, they'll loose their license.

If I buy a Festool router from a seller who offers free shipping that's exactly what I'm receiving - free shipping. The seller is taking a loss at MSRP in order to subsidize my shipping.

Exactly what I said in the first place. Someone is selling that router for less, and "showing it" as free shipping. Bottom line is, they are selling that router for less than MSRP, and disguising it (because of manufacturer requirements) for less than MSRP. I am surprised you don't see that.

How could it not be? The same router sells by many for $100.00 with shipping added. But one person is selling that same router for $100.00 and gives the so-called "free shipping". He is in fact, selling that item for less than MSRP. PERIOD!

Unless you really believe that people sell items for less than they pay for them, on a routine basis. Which is done every once in awhile by small time Ebay sellers, like me. But not intentionally.

(Answering someone else here) Auctions starting at .1 cent, are gambling. When you gamble, sometimes you lose. But no one goes into an Ebay auction or sale, with the intention of losing money.

No such thing as free shipping. Someone is paying for it, and it is always the buyer. Even if the buyer believes he or she is not paying it.

+1 :applause:

I'd like to see those that believe there is free shipping, walk into their local P.O. and ask for the USPS free shipping method. Then try FedEx, UPS, and DHL. Tell them you wish to ship something via their free shipping method. Please come back to the board and tell us all how it worked out for you. :cool:

:doh:

Free shipping isn't free for the person who ships the item :gossip:

Fail. One person is just selling that NM #98 for less. (fill in whatever item you want to talk about).

Is there a set price for everything? For anything?

No.

Nonsense.

I do woodworking in my spare time and am a big fan of the Festool line of tools. Any store that carries the Festool brand needs to sell the tools at MSRP - if they discount for any reason, they'll loose their license.

If I buy a Festool router from a seller who offers free shipping that's exactly what I'm receiving - free shipping. The seller is taking a loss at MSRP in order to subsidize my shipping.

Exactly what I said in the first place. Someone is selling that router for less, and "showing it" as free shipping. Bottom line is, they are selling that router for less than MSRP, and disguising it (because of manufacturer requirements) for less than MSRP. I am surprised you don't see that.

How could it not be? The same router sells by many for $100.00 with shipping added. But one person is selling that same router for $100.00 and gives the so-called "free shipping". He is in fact, selling that item for less than MSRP. PERIOD!

Unless you really believe that people sell items for less than they pay for them, on a routine basis. Which is done every once in awhile by small time Ebay sellers, like me. But not intentionally.

(Answering someone else here) Auctions starting at .1 cent, are gambling. When you gamble, sometimes you lose. But no one goes into an Ebay auction or sale, with the intention of losing money.

Oh, you said "PERIOD!", so I have no choice but to concede the point :eyeroll:

Why is this so hard to grasp? I'm not saying that free shipping is free to both parties in a sale - someone is obviously paying for the postage - but, again, in my example above, for all intents & purposes, the seller is footing the postage and I am not paying for shipping. Ergo "free shipping".

COMMA!

The PERIOD was an inside joke for those in the know.

I think you get it. EXCLAMATION POINT!

:baiting:

(it was all in fun)

We could argue all day long (as we often do), about the "free shipping" thing. Fact is though. It ain't free. It is being paid by the consumer in each and every case. You might think that it is free. But it is included in the price of the item you are buying. :makepoint:

Or

The seller just likes you and wants to give you something for nothing. :insane:

Or

The seller is selling at a loss, and hoping to make it up on volume. :screwy:

I will let you have the last word. The readers can make up their own minds as to who is more correct. :takeit:

Free shipping reminds me of free refills on sodas

Free shipping reminds me of the dystopia Wal-Mart has planned for it's workers futures - pay them next to nothing, and start a food drive to help feed their employees.

Free always has a cost:

Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

The quest for cheap always has a cost.

I watched a documentary on water useage this past weekend called Watermark. It was a bit slow moving at times but amazingly educational. One of the things that I got out of that movie, was how terrible the conditions are for people in 2nd and 3rd world countries that provide our 'cheap' goods.

The focus for a segment of the movie was a leather tannery, and how it used water in it's processes.

What was appalling were the conditions that the people in the tannery had to endure so that we could get cheaper leather over in the 1st world. Chemicals being used with no protection to cure the leather, unfavorable working conditions (barefoot, no protection in factories), polluted water by the 100,000 of liters being plumbed back into the local river along with all dyes, chemicals, etc and then the movie ended the segment with people bathing in the same water.

A real eye opener for me that drove home to me how 'cheaper' is never better.

Free shipping reminds me of free refills on sodas

Free shipping reminds me of the dystopia Wal-Mart has planned for it's workers futures - pay them next to nothing, and start a food drive to help feed their employees.

Free always has a cost:

Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees

The quest for cheap always has a cost.

I watched a documentary on water useage this past weekend called Watermark. It was a bit slow moving at times but amazingly educational. One of the things that I got out of that movie, was how terrible the conditions are for people in 2nd and 3rd world countries that provide our 'cheap' goods.

The focus for a segment of the movie was a leather tannery, and how it used water in it's processes.

What was appalling were the conditions that the people in the tannery had to endure so that we could get cheaper leather over in the 1st world. Chemicals being used with no protection to cure the leather, unfavorable working conditions (barefoot, no protection in factories), polluted water by the 100,000 of liters being plumbed back into the local river along with all dyes, chemicals, etc and then the movie ended the segment with people bathing in the same water.

A real eye opener for me that drove home to me how 'cheaper' is never better.

The legacy of Tannery's in general is marred by suspicion and tarnished reputations. They almost always located themselves near water, and where lumber was abundant. Resources were expropriated and water systems destroyed all in the name of bolstering the finances and quality of lives of the owners, with little to no regard for the community or the environment.

It's no wonder many of them moved their operations to developing countries. The sad part is that the damage they left behind still remains. Near my parts, you could see the way the modern landscape where the Tannery once stood stunted economic prosperity.

The Allandale Train Station, which was the hub for Simcoe County in the 1900's, recently underwent a massive renovation. The building renovations were completed sometime last year, but as soon as they began doing the landscaping, they discovered Mercury contamination. The city apparently knew but kept quiet, and now they are facing a lawsuit. To me it's no coincidence that the chemical contamination is directly linked to the proximity to the old Tannery, but no one is going to stick their neck out and reveal the connection.