• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Miller DD Man w/o Fear art question

9 posts in this topic

Hi, folks:

I know a lot of you enjoyed the DD Man without Fear mini series written by Miller, with pencils by Romita Jr and inks by Williamson.

These pages don't turn up frequently, and I missed this one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-ROMITA-Jr-Daredevil-Man-Without-Fear-1-p17-ORIGINAL-COMIC-ART-Frank-Miller-/360710451200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fc04b000#ht_830wt_1285

But one thing that stood out to me in the seller's item description is layouts by Miller. I hadn't heard this before and I'm wondering if any has heard/can confirm that Miller did indeed do layouts for this issue? (shrug)

Hi, folks:

I know a lot of you enjoyed the DD Man without Fear mini series written by Miller, with pencils by Romita Jr and inks by Williamson.

These pages don't turn up frequently, and I missed this one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-ROMITA-Jr-Daredevil-Man-Without-Fear-1-p17-ORIGINAL-COMIC-ART-Frank-Miller-/360710451200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fc04b000#ht_830wt_1285

But one thing that stood out to me in the seller's item description is layouts by Miller. I hadn't heard this before and I'm wondering if any has heard/can confirm that Miller did indeed do layouts for this issue? (shrug)

I've never ever ever ever heard that Miller did anything but write that story. Ever.

Hi, folks:

Well, he did layout the story. :kidaround:

for posterity:

You are looking at an original piece of art by JOHN ROMITA Jr. from his and FRANK MILLER'S classic mini-series DAREDEVIL: THE MAN WITHOUT FEAR #1, page 17. This is an extraordinary page (pivitol to the story as it's the first time young Matt Murdock realizes his abilities), from the writing and layouts by Miller to the amazing drawing from Romita Jr. and comics legend AL WILLIAMSON. This is a rare opportunity indeed. Pen and ink on paper (11 x 15 1/2 inches), excellent condition.

Frank Miller did not do layouts. Romita staged the book from a television treatment Miller wrote that was never used which amounted to either a 48 or 64 page story then frank sent him some additions in the form of a marvel style plot which expanded the book into a mini series. Miller (in the comics journal) talked about the working method and how much he loved Romita's staging and how easy it was to dialogue the series once he got the pencils back.

Frank Miller did not do layouts. Romita staged the book from a television treatment Miller wrote that was never used which amounted to either a 48 or 64 page story then frank sent him some additions in the form of a marvel style plot which expanded the book into a mini series. Miller (in the comics journal) talked about the working method and how much he loved Romita's staging and how easy it was to dialogue the series once he got the pencils back.

Hi, folks:

I contacted the seller about the item description and he saw how it could be misinterpreted as Miller layouts, but in his response to me he made it clear that

miller definitely specified what the panel layout would be in the -script, and the seller did not mean to imply that that he did any actual drawing.

Also, John Romita Jr. responded through his art rep, Spencer Beck, that Miller did not do any layouts for this series.

Very interesting to note the origins of this mini-series started as a movie treatment, then expanded to graphic novel page count before finally being published as a 5 issue mini-series consisting of 144 pages.

Hi, folks:

I contacted the seller about the item description and he saw how it could be misinterpreted as Miller layouts, but in his response to me he made it clear that

miller definitely specified what the panel layout would be in the -script, and the seller did not mean to imply that that he did any actual drawing.

Also, John Romita Jr. responded through his art rep, Spencer Beck, that Miller did not do any layouts for this series.

Very interesting to note the origins of this mini-series started as a movie treatment, then expanded to graphic novel page count before finally being published as a 5 issue mini-series consisting of 144 pages.

Whatever the sellers intentions with the description, it certainly resulted in one heck of a price for the page! :o

Hi, folks:

Using that definition Alan Moore did the layouts for Killing Joke.

Hi, folks:

Miller said in the comics journal it was written marvel style plot not full -script and he dialogued the pages after John staged them