• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective 24 book and cover marry - opinions on additional resto

4 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

Having happily hunted down a few covers for my coverless books, I'm thinking about the merits of additional restoration before submitting for grading. The first book I'm considering is my Detective Comics 24.

Does anybody want to offer their opinion on what level of restoration I should consider for this book?

I will marry the inside pages of the slabbed book with the cover wrap (and then start hunting for a coverless 14)

I guess I'm wondering what grade differences I might get with a "slight" (just marring the two) vs. "extensive" (adding pieces - and attaching cover, and ?) -- I care a little less about what the cost differences of doing the restoration work.

Or does anybody think that I may actually get a green label or a universal if I just marry the two?

Any help on this, my first "new topic" post would be greatly appreciated.

5th-Xerox346_Page_03_zps61809710.jpg [/img] [/img]

5th-Xerox344_Page_31_zpsa7f0dbb0.jpg [/img] [/img]

Do you want to slab it or keep it raw?

If slabbed, then maybe just put the cover on the interior and leave it at that. If you want to keep it raw and handle it, maybe get the staple holes filled/reinforced and have the cover attached. Either way it'll present nicely enough without any other work. 2c

Hi all,

thanks for the views, the comment and the few PMs - I appreciate the advice.

As recommended, the next step is to crack the slap and enjoy the book raw and then send it in for restoration. I'll post the the before and after pics once I get it back...

I'll be posting a couple more cover and coverless books for general interest.

I get a lot of wisdom and inspiration from this board and it's fun to share... hopefully the audience will be less shy next time around...

(next up, 1940 Worlds Fair)