• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

General question about moderns

2 posts in this topic

Hey guys. Generally I only submit moderns if they are "slam dunk" 9.8's. I have stacks of books that miss the cut by just a stress mark. I am curious though if I'm leaving 9.8's on the table so to speak. A few of the books I'm speaking about have pretty standard 9.8 front covers and have a ding or two on the back. Below is a great example. I've submitted hundreds of books and had very few surprises so trust me and not the scan that the front cover is pretty typical 9.8...

Scan-130814-0001_zps2580e0ea.jpg

Now on the back towards the bottom spine there are two stress marks that break color (circled in red)....

Scan-130814-0002_zpsa6168c45.jpg

So the question is: being that these are moderns do these ticks on the back covers still keep these books from nabbing a 9.8 grade??? What if there were only one tick on the back instead of the two shown on this one??? Thanks guys!!!

I usually don't "give" 9.8's here based on scans unless they're REALLY big scans. There are so many grading factors that can't be addressed from a image this size.

This certainly can get a 9.8, but I'd need to see a view of the spine/corners/staples/surface from angles the scanner cannot provide (in other words "in hand").

:sorry: