• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do when you comic shop has no 9.8 copies?

39 posts in this topic

I was just at my local comic shop today and all the copies of the new Marvel Infinity had printing bindery tears on the corners. Also the cover is black so could really see lots of spine ticks on the new copies. The shop had a good number like 100 copies and all had bad bindery tears. Today, also the Batman #23 had some weird impression on the lower quarter of the comic like from stacking. Shop had like 50-60 copies. Anyone else see this? Anyway, these defects are from poor manufacturing and not handling. I know CGC does not deduct for printing bindery tears but it still bothers me being the MINT obsessive collector that I am. It is would be hard to say any of these books are 9.8. I decided to pass and try another comic shop later this week but I suspect many books are like this.

I found 2 good copies after looking through about 400. My LCS had a binch of damaged stuff like Six Gun Gorilla, Infinity ( all covers ), and more. Their books are usually top grade. I hope Midtown doesn't deliver more of what I saw today. :wishluck:

Trying buying your book online or from BeachBum who will sell you a 9.8.

That way you are not standing in front of me at the comic shop looking at 100 copies while I am trying to get one copy that I don't care if its 9.8 :censored:

End of

rantrant

:sumo:

I hear ya. It's tough to find 9.8 candidates at shops. I just buy my reader copies there. If I'm chasing 9.8 copies I rather just by a slabbed 9.8 or get on a subscription servic like Dre's.

Trying buying your book online or from BeachBum who will sell you a 9.8.

That way you are not standing in front of me at the comic shop looking at 100 copies while I am trying to get one copy that I don't care if its 9.8 :censored:

End of

rantrant

Hahahahaha. I would never impose my looking on someone else. I just want the best I can get for my hard earned dollars. To each their own :)

My lcs didn't even have six-gun gorilla today. I saw the Infinity copies all had issues, but they had so many I'm sure I could have pulled a couple potential 9.8's. Alas, I didn't buy any because I couldn't spend the $5. My box is overflowing and I can't really even put a dent in it.

Oh, and good luck with Midtown sending you nice books. I have ordered from them twice, and twice been disappointed. I am trying to send my last batch back to them but they keep saying they're not getting my pics I keep sending. I might just give up at this point and never order from them again.

My lcs didn't even have six-gun gorilla today. I saw the Infinity copies all had issues, but they had so many I'm sure I could have pulled a couple potential 9.8's. Alas, I didn't buy any because I couldn't spend the $5. My box is overflowing and I can't really even put a dent in it.

Oh, and good luck with Midtown sending you nice books. I have ordered from them twice, and twice been disappointed. I am trying to send my last batch back to them but they keep saying they're not getting my pics I keep sending. I might just give up at this point and never order from them again.

DCBS

That's weird you mention that because a friend of mine had the same problem sending pictures to them. He sent me two emails asking me if I could see his pics (once as an attachment and once included in the message). I could see them in both messages which now makes me think that Midtown is just using that as an excuse. I personally have ordered from them numerous times and have never had an issue.

I agree with that. I keep a lot of readers Superior Spider-man, East of West, Five Ghosts, etc. for myself but selling them anywhere is always an issue unless you state "reader copy" in which case, they usually bring 25 to 50 cents each or a dollar on the high side. I do like being able to pick up a book, read it, and not worry about dinging this or tearing that lol

Probaby not all their fault. Depends on the quality of the print run. Sometimes it seems to vary from issue to issue (even the same title). Not easy being a comic shop owner. What do you do when the whole run looks bad (return them all?)

My LCS had major problems with a lot of different issues yesterday. I left a lot of stuff sit and had to wait on my internet orders. The LCS usually keeps their stuff in tip top shape.