• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do when you comic shop has no 9.8 copies?

39 posts in this topic

I wonder which publisher will come out with the next event at 6-7 dollars a floppy? hm

I don't know but it better be something great if they want my money. I really have a hard time with paying over $3 per for my pre-orders. Prices reduced my interest in some recent DC stuff and I like DC. I only bought Superman Unchained and Batman/Superman because they were available at deep discounts. I just don't feel I'm getting my monies worth on some of this stuff. 2c

These prices are getting crazy on this stuff. I will wait for Infinity in HC format, same with Hunger. I love the Marvel cosmic stuff, always have, but I can wait for the HC and get it from In-Stock Trades for 40% off when it drops.

Trying buying your book online or from BeachBum who will sell you a 9.8.

That way you are not standing in front of me at the comic shop looking at 100 copies while I am trying to get one copy that I don't care if its 9.8 :censored:

End of

rantrant

I saw a guy go into a comic shop once, a while ago, pick out the best copies after nearly taking a magnifying glass or micormeter to judge a book and proceed to subtly but not so gently and clearly purposefully bend the remaining copies at the spine to reduce the population of mint copies as best as he could impact 'em...

That way you are not standing in front of me at the comic shop looking at 100 copies while I am trying to get one copy that I don't care if its 9.8 :censored:

End of

rantrant

I saw a guy go into a comic shop once, a while ago, pick out the best copies after nearly taking a magnifying glass or micormeter to judge a book and proceed to subtly but not so gently and clearly purposefully bend the remaining copies at the spine to reduce the population of mint copies as best as he could impact 'em...

That is just a sad dude karma will catch up to him.

End of

rantrant

That's pathetic.

Honestly... I stopped caring when it came to my moderns. Most of the time that books are not worth slabbing and I don't see myself slabbing anything that I buy these days off the shelf or in my pull bag. So... I have a very nice 9.4-9.6 modern collection. I only plan on always keeping the ASM's.

After that if I ever go to sell I advertise them as NM and it fits the grade.

End of

rantrant

I've heard of people doing this to action figures before. A friend of mine actually caught a guy doing it and almost tore his head off. It is always suspect when the HTF figures are always the ones with bends and crushing while the peg warmers are all minty.

End of

rantrant

I've heard of people doing this to action figures before. A friend of mine actually caught a guy doing it and almost tore his head off. It is always suspect when the HTF figures are always the ones with bends and crushing while the peg warmers are all minty.

You're lucky you even see the HTF figures on the pegs. Around here the peg warmers are all there is, even later in the day that the figures were put out. :tonofbricks:

I buy dupes, one to read and one to keep. I've even read a comic once, sent it to CGC, and it got a 9.8. Though most of the time a little tick will be more pronounced once you crack the cover and will probably not get the grade.

Hence the subscription services offered by boardies here.

Its a matter of convenience and cost. Do you want the 9.8s bad enough to pay for it or is it more cost effective to continue to fish thru the pile at the local shop?

This ties up your time and others as you look thru every copy while other buyers wait patiently to get their copy.

Or is this just another I want the best copy I can get.

End of

rantrant

Many many years ago. I accidentally bumped into a guy at Toys R Us that was doing the very same thing. I accidentally ruined the last remaining mint figures that he had in his hand when I accidentally bumped into him.

End of

rantrant

Many many years ago. I accidentally bumped into a guy at Toys R Us that was doing the very same thing. I accidentally ruined the last remaining mint figures that he had in his hand when I accidentally bumped into him.

:applause: Awesome.