• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heroes of Cosplay - new Syfy reality TV show

21 posts in this topic

So I was flipping through the channels and this was on. They showed the costume contest from Wizard World Portland.

http://www.syfy.com/heroesofcosplay

Anyone else watch it? Thoughts?

I saw the episode this past week. The show is a complete waste of time. Boring is putting it nicely. The attempts to introduce drama is the best part of this show as the drama is ridiculous. This will last the whole season because it is on SyFy, but I'm positive we won't see a second season of this ill conceived tripe. Talk about scraping the bottom of a barrel...

Yeah... the whole cosplay thing has always kind of gotten on my nerves. If there was a designated area at cons for people wanting pics of the people in costume it might be different but as it stands I was never a big fan of people blocking my tables to take pictures and carry on a 45 minute conversation about how they made their costume. On the rare occasion I go to one of the bigger cons now, even now that I don't set up as a dealer anymore, it's still annoying to not be able to get to a booth I want to look at or just be stuck in an aisle because of it. 2c

As for the show, well... here's an idea. If your a "professional cosplayer" how about you start working on your costume sooner than a week or two before you plan on wearing it to a con so it's finished in time? Procrastination + unpreparedness doesn't = interesting TV drama. :eyeroll:

The impact of the writers strike from years ago rolls on. Ostensibly unscripted television had brought us Jersey Shore, way too many cooking, singing and dancing competitions, and worst of all, those Al Qaida recruiting films called "Real Housewives of _____"

I do like girls in interesting costumes though, and while I wouldn't go out of my way to watch this, I might give it a few minutes if I stumbled upon it.

As for the show, well... here's an idea. If your a "professional cosplayer" how about you start working on your costume sooner than a week or two before you plan on wearing it to a con so it's finished in time? Procrastination + unpreparedness doesn't = interesting TV drama. :eyeroll:

I thought the same thing when I saw the show. Why are these people waiting until the last second and then complaining about how they will never be ready in time? :makepoint:

I thought the same thing when I saw the show. Why are these people waiting until the last second and then complaining about how they will never be ready in time? :makepoint:

Artificial drama created for TV.

All costume wearers I know spend months planning/ making.

Because that's what the producers and editors create to attempt to show drama where there wouldn't be otherwise.

Also they careful edit the conversations to create conflict where none exists.

I have a friend featured on the show, and she's none too pleased (although she expected some of this) with how her words got chopped up out of context. She realizes it happens on TV though.

Because that's what the producers and editors create to attempt to show drama where there wouldn't be otherwise.

I have a friend featured on the show, and she's none too pleased (although she expected some of this) with how her words got chopped up out of context. She realizes it happens on TV though.

Her Rocketeer oufit only got her first runner-up at Mega-Con :(

The impact of the writers strike from years ago rolls on. Ostensibly unscripted television had brought us Jersey Shore, way too many cooking, singing and dancing competitions, and worst of all, those Al Qaida recruiting films called "Real Housewives of _____"

I do like girls in interesting costumes though, and while I wouldn't go out of my way to watch this, I might give it a few minutes if I stumbled upon it.

TV seems to move towards each end of the spectrum more and more every year. On one hand, there's the inane garbage you mentioned above, but on the other hand some of the best shows of all time have aired over the last decade...with virtually nothing in between.

That was one kick costume, all that hand fabricated work.

Is she really originally from rural Canada? :o

Yep.

I helped her with her original immigration issues.

Yep.

What part of Canada?

Yep.

What part of Canada?

Port..something...Port Hardy maybe?

Yep.

What part of Canada?

Port..something...Port Hardy maybe?

She's from Vancouver Island!!!! :o

Whats wrong with rural Canada? the best things come from rural Canada! Like Me! :acclaim:

Whats wrong with rural Canada? the best things come from rural Canada! Like Me! :acclaim:
Thompson is rural and that place sucks.

Thompson is rural and that place sucks.
If you would have found a banana split you would have been happy. :baiting:

:headbang: