• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers # 55 CGC 9.4 OW/W, 1st full Ultron

10 posts in this topic

Here is THE hot book at the moment, Avengers # 55 with the first full appearance of Ultron. This is CGC 9.4, blue universal label. I bought this slabbed and unfortunately don't know its pressing history but it certainly hasn't been pressed in the last few years since I've owned it.

PMs are welcome but first :takeit: in the thread is the winner. No probies and I reserve the right to not sell to anyone if I decide not to. Payment from outside the UK must be by Paypal and within the UK, Paypal, bank transfer, cheque or cash is acceptable (though cheques must clear before item is posted).

Picture169_zps096176f0.jpg

Picture170_zps6df1c745.jpg

Since the big announcement that the next Avengers movie will be titled "Age Of Ultron", there have been two sales of CGC 9.4 copies recorded on GPA. One of these was for $1225 and the other for $1625 and there is currently a 9.0 copy running at $700 on ebay. I am asking $1100 for this copy because I don't know if the couple of corner dings that are visible on the back cover could've occured post slabbing.

Shipping costs are $30 to the US or Canada or £5 within the UK.

quick question for all: how likely is it that such dings would have occurred post slabbing? the slabs are supposed to keep the books sort of "locked in", right?

I agree with Boboset - this should not last long!

quick question for all: how likely is it that such dings would have occurred post slabbing? the slabs are supposed to keep the books sort of "locked in", right?

In honesty, it's impossible to tell if it was before or after as CGC's grading standards have never been consistent. There have been cases of SCS (shaken comic syndrome) where a book has moved within the inner well and received damage.

I'm just erring on the side of caution with this book as it is a possibility that I can't discount. The dings are there and I think it's fair to point them out to any prospective buyers and I'm pricing to take them into account.

In honesty, it's impossible to tell if it was before or after as CGC's grading standards have never been consistent. There have been cases of SCS (shaken comic syndrome) where a book has moved within the inner well and received damage.

I'm just erring on the side of caution with this book as it is a possibility that I can't discount. The dings are there and I think it's fair to point them out to any prospective buyers and I'm pricing to take them into account.

There's no way those dings were on the book when it was graded by CGC. Does the book move within the inner well when you tilt the case?

There's no way those dings were on the book when it was graded by CGC. Does the book move within the inner well when you tilt the case?

No, it doesn't even move within the well when I shake the slab. In fact it seems quite tight within the well.

No, it doesn't even move within the well when I shake the slab. In fact it seems quite tight within the well.

I have a GSX #1 with the same ding - which also happened in the slab. Fortunately, it's relatively easy to fix.

Good luck with the sale - it's a very nice price :thumbsup:

I have a GSX #1 with the same ding - which also happened in the slab. Fortunately, it's relatively easy to fix.

Good luck with the sale - it's a very nice price :thumbsup:

Thanks. (thumbs u

Whether it happened after or before slabbing, the most I can do is tell people about it and let them decide. :)

Here is THE hot book at the moment, Avengers # 55 with the first full appearance of Ultron. This is CGC 9.4, blue universal label. I bought this slabbed and unfortunately don't know its pressing history but it certainly hasn't been pressed in the last few years since I've owned it.

PMs are welcome but first :takeit: in the thread is the winner. No probies and I reserve the right to not sell to anyone if I decide not to. Payment from outside the UK must be by Paypal and within the UK, Paypal, bank transfer, cheque or cash is acceptable (though cheques must clear before item is posted).

Picture169_zps096176f0.jpg

Picture170_zps6df1c745.jpg

Since the big announcement that the next Avengers movie will be titled "Age Of Ultron", there have been two sales of CGC 9.4 copies recorded on GPA. One of these was for $1225 and the other for $1625 and there is currently a 9.0 copy running at $700 on ebay. I am asking $1100 for this copy because I don't know if the couple of corner dings that are visible on the back cover could've occured post slabbing.

Shipping costs are $30 to the US or Canada or £5 within the UK.

Take it